1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone got a Chromebook?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ambuscade, Apr 18, 2015.

1. ambuscade

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey :slight_smile:

I've been looking at Google Chromebooks to use for college, as they're relatively good value, and light and portable. Most of the work I do is in Chrome anyway, as I use Google Docs for almost everything.

I wonder if anyone has got one, and if so, what do you think of it? :slight_smile:

2. Kenaria

We use chrome books every day in my history classroom and they're AMAZING. As long as you're using them for just educational (very shitty gaming devices), they're quite great. Few limitations though - no caps lock! no right clicking! and few other things.

3. ambuscade

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks! I'm really tempted to get one now... :slight_smile:

4. lukeluvznicki13

I've heard a lot of positive reviews for them :slight_smile:.

The only downside is that the majority of software (games & apps) are not available.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have one, but have been interested in them. Some Chromebooks I've seen have really impressed me with surface build quality, particularly for the price.

The one minus I see: the dependence on Google Chrome. One is banking that Chrome will always be the preferred browser. Note: this is coming from someone who has switched browsers a number of times for various reasons.

That said...I could see having one. If I were looking for a "second" computer laptop to supplement my desktop machine, a Chromebook would be my #1 choice. (And even though it would be "second," there would be times it would be a primary machine, such as if I left town.) Also I have to think that if I were a student today, a Chromebook might well be my standard "school" laptop.

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes!!!!! They have this awesome documents system that saves automatically every time you make a change!

If you can't get word on it, try word online (outlook.com) and that also runs fine on it :slight_smile:

7. ambuscade

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You're right about games and apps, however, for me, that's probably an advantage because it'll mean it's harder for me to get sidetracked :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah, some of the build quality seems absolutely fantastic. :slight_smile:

That is a valid downside, but to be honest, I've used chrome for the past 6 years, and although I've briefly tried Firefox and Safari, I can't see myself liking them as much as chrome in the near future.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll take a look :slight_smile:

8. starfish

I had a chrome book for a while. It was fantastic. The only reason I replaced it was because I wanted a higher resolution screen, which unless you go with the chrome book pixel you can't get. And I just couldn't justify that much money on a chrome book.

9. ambuscade

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, that's fair enough, thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: To be honest, at my budget, I'm quite happy with the 1080p screen that the one I'm looking at has, so I can't really complain.

10. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have one, and I like it. Very fast for browsing the web, watching movies in bed, general net stuff. And for the $$$, a great value. Plus, it's really lightweight/thin. This one is a Samsung 303c. I'm not a gamer, so can't speak to that, but for general net uses, it's basically a machine dedicated to just that, and as such, I've found it preferable to other devices. I tried an iPad (newer model, but can't recall what one), and thought it was VERY slow.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Screen resolution requirements vary person to person. I am getting by just fine with 1280x1024. Other people need desktop machines with two huge monitors to get their work done.

One thing to keep in mind: smaller screens don't hold as much, yes, but they can mean a smaller, easier to carry notebook computer.

I know someone who has a MacBook Air 11" that he absolutely loves, partly, one assumes, because of the portability. When he bought it, he was traveling a lot on business, and "keep this as small and light as possible" was probably a huge factor in his buying decision. And while the screen size is small--and one assumes possibly a pain in the neck at times--the computer was good enough to serve his business needs.

12. starfish

Which one has the 1080p screen? When I had mine only 720p was available. I would have been happily with 1080p.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2015 at 09:44 PM ----------

Yes I am a pixel queen. I always need more screen real estate. I just can't get enough pixels. I really do have a problem and that is that I don't have enough pixels. :icon_bigg

13. ambuscade

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-CB35-B3340-13-3-Inch-Chromebook-Full-HD/dp/B00N99FXIS

It's got pretty amazing reviews too, which is why I'm so tempted.

Yeah, fair enough :grin: I know my 1st generation iPad seems awfully slow now :slight_smile:. I do my gaming on a desktop at home, so I think I'm fine with that. It's nice to hear you're happy with yours.

Yeah, that's a good point about smaller screens. Mine would need to fit in my bag for college, so that's why I'm looking at a 13" screen :slight_smile:

#13 ambuscade, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015