1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Laptop Suggestions (Calling all MacBook Users)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BryanM, Apr 19, 2015.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So since I start at University in August, I'm going to need a new laptop. For the schools within the University I'm going into (A&S and Journalism), I'm basically going to need a MacBook, even though I've always used Windows or PC in the past. I'm not really that much of a tech guy, so I was hoping to get some suggestions on a good, durable MacBook that's big enough to be used as an everyday laptop but small enough to take to classes, has a long battery life, and is in the $750-$1,500 price range. The price isn't as important as the first two though. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

Also, if you could also give me some tips for getting used to the Apple OS that'd be great too.

2. Straw_berry

I'd recommend the Surface pro 3, as it's something that's small, portable, and still gets full desktop functionality on a tablet. The price for an i5 128 GB is $999 USD.

3. Foz

Foz Guest

When you say 'long battery life' how long is long? I have a 2011 MBP and I get 90-120 mins on the battery, I can push it to 3 hours with wifi, bluetooth off and screen brightness down. But if you want really long battery life then the MacBook Air or the new MBA (confusingly just called the 'MacBook') is what you want. Real life tests show the 11" model capable of 9.5 hours and the 13" just over 12 hours battery life and the previous generation 11" managed just under 7 hours in a stress test with everything up to max with wifi and bluetooth on. The new 'MacBook' is 12" and is set to last about the same with a smaller battery due to the Intel Core M processor being used over the i5/7 as it is much thinner.

However the new Core M processors are slower than the predecessor and won't much use with image editing (if that's your thing) you can spec a 1.3GHz processor which takes the price to $1550 for the 256GB model, if you want 512GB then that'll be another $200. It all comes down to how much you want to spend, personally I went for a 128GB iPad and a desktop (as well as the MBP I already had), but I went the iPad over the MBA as I don't need to type much in my lectures it's mostly for highlighting notes and carrying electronic versions of my textbooks.

If I were you I'd get the 'MacBook' and an iMac for home, but that'll run you over $3000, if you can afford it, it is the best setup. Alternatively I'd get the 13" MBA but I would spec the i7 processor and 8GB RAM which comes in at $1450, if you want 512GB then that'll be $1750. It's important to upgrade when you buy it none of the components cannot be user upgraded. But if you got with the latter option I would buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse as there is nothing worse than typing an essay on a small screen.

And I've just typed all this out and forgot Apple do a very generous student discount which is 15% off systems and 75% off the extended warranty.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He specifically said he wanted a Macbook :slight_smile:

If it were me, I'd probably go for the Macbook Pro 13" *without* the retina display. The newer one has a couple of extra features, and a little better resolution screen, but it also lacks a couple of ports the older one has. And the older one is $200 cheaper. The one justifiable reason for getting the new model is the battery life, which is rated at 10 hours rather than 7... and the numbers are actually pretty accurate in real-life use.

If you can afford it, I do recommend the solid state internal drive rather than the spinning drive... it will *dramatically* speed up loading times and running of pretty much all programs. Only downside is, you won't have a lot of room (unless you buy a very spendy large solid state drive) internal to the machine so will need to store things either in the cloud or in an external drive.

I do recommend getting a nice case to keep it in as the aluminum casing can get dinged pretty easily. There are some nice polycarbonate cases that will provide quite a bit of protection and are under $50.

It's also quite reasonable to get a used Macbook... they tend to last forever and (in general) are really well built. Powermax.com has some pretty good deals on tested used/refurb Macbooks that are a couple years old. They have a pretty good warranty and their support is good.

I personally run a Mini as my main desktop machine. I've souped it up with extra RAM and a 1TB internal solid state hard drive and love it. I have an ancient (2008 vintage) Macbook Pro that is still going strong and is quite usable (though a bit slow) even for Photoshop and Premiere.

5. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd go with the base model of Macbook Pro 13" with retina screen. It's small, light, it has gorgeous screen and you might even get some educational discount on it.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Disclaimer: not a MacBook user.

That said...

• I wouldn't be as worried about "durable." Apple has made lemons, but the quality is mostly pretty high, and the computers often seem to outlast official software support.
    • At the same time, however, the newest MacBook might be best avoided, at least until it's out for a while. Let others discover/work out any bugs that may still exist.
    • A general rule about laptops: portability costs something. Generally power and screen size. So...one gets the fun of deciding what matters. Keep this as easy to carry as possible? Or have the most power possible? So consider your needs.
    • It's worth playing with the choices at an Apple store. Seeing in person can tell you things that you can't learn as readily by reading other's opinions, tech specs, and sales pitches.
    • One thing to pay attention to might be the keyboard. As a student, you'll presumably be typing a lot. Yes, one can add an external keyboard--and that might be a good idea for lengthy writing. But it makes sense having something you feel comfortable using on the laptop itself. Some people have bought far more expensive laptops than they would have otherwise just because it got a better keyboard.
    • Another point: it seems like most of Apples laptop line does not have upgradable memory. Thus, what you get when you buy the laptop will be all the memory you ever have. So it might make sense to order upgraded memory when buying the computer. I am not sure, but the non-Retina laptop Chip mentioned might be a surviving model that allows upgrades. If so, that model has the selling point of allowing one to upgrade later, when needed, and probably for a lot less than Apple charges now.

7. Alisa Arwen

Get something midrange. If you get something expensive it'll be a nightmare if something goes wrong. I've been there.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Solid State Drives are also probably more durable/reliable for a laptop.

Not necessarily a huge issue. The only stuff one really needs on the internal drive are the things that one is either working with, or might need to refer to.

My first computer, which I got about a month after starting college, had a whopping 20 megabyte hard drive. Incredibly spacious, or so it seemed to someone used to high school Apple II series computers with floppy disk drives. (The disks used were 5 inches, which held less than the modern floppy,, and might not even hold a full Word document of today....) But that 20 megabyte drive filled up, and some "older" stuff was archived on external disks.
    Used can be an option. The word of warning: make sure it's still new enough. A 2007 MacBook might still work, and might be OK as a secondary computer. But it won't run the latest versions of OS X.

Another option: factory refurbished. Supposedly high standards and with warranty.

Also check out student discounts.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The OP is looking for a Mac; there's no way around that. :/

Call me biased but for the price of an Apple product, you can get almost twice the Windows computer for the money. Someone else suggested a MS Surface Pro 3, which is in that price range and is closer in shape to a tablet for the capability of a laptop. Or for a ~$1000 laptop, you can get an i7 processor with like 8gb of memory, a rockin' graphics card, and a hybrid SSD/SATA hard drive.

Lenovo Y40-80 Laptop | 14" High-Performance Gaming Notebook PC*| Lenovo US

I have one slightly weaker than that from school, and battery life is only an issue when you put it under high stress. Normal use for class (with minimal power-saving features) would get you 3-4 hours before you have to worry about the charge. And the only reason I posted a "gaming" computer is to show that you can spend significantly less and still get the job done.

#9 Argentwing, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  10. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The 13in. Macbook Pro Retina has worked well for me. It is in your price range. I use it in my English and Biology classes and in my frees and the battery lasts throughout the day. I haven't ever had any problems with it and I have had it since last spring. I would suggest getting a protective case, as it is made of aluminum that would otherwise dent easily (I have seen this happen with similar laptops). It is a good size. I grew up using Dell computers and it took a little while for me to get used to using a Mac. If you use it regularly, though, you will be an expert before you know it. I wish you luck in finding the perfect laptop!

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good point.

Plus there is something to be said against over buying technology. You don't want to buy something so limited you'll regret the decision or have to upgrade in a few months... But by the time one needs "tomorrow's technology today", it will be tomorrow, and that technology will be available for a lot less in entry level machines.

12. Foz

Foz Guest

You can get Applecare for £70 on a £2k MBP with education discount so that shouldn't be much of an issue. Even after that expires used logic boards cost pretty much the same for the same generation regardless of processor.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know the request is for MacBook info. But...one thing that might be worth looking into is just how important having an Apple computer would be. Is it actually required? Strongly recommended? If required, when would it be needed? (If the first class that uses it would be in two years, it might be worth waiting until then. Requirements might change. Technology definitely will.) Are there other options, such as computer labs with the required software?

14. pde

pde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you're getting a Macbook, I would recommend the Pro and not the Air.
    I got the Macbook Air and it doesn't have any cd slot or ethernet slot (it only has a charging port, 2 usb ports, headphone jack and a thunderbolt port). I had to go out and buy a usb-ethernet adapter to use :dry:
    The only advantage of the Air is that it's lighter, but I doubt it really makes that much of a difference...

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And by "required software" I mean situations where there is specific software that is either only available for Apple, or else needs Apple hardware to get the right results.

Other software might be fine on any platform as long as the documents look right, or can be opened as needed. For example, I have often encountered a "requirement" to send MS Word documents. But...you don't necessarily need Word to create a Word document. (Although some word processors are better at creating Word documents that open properly than other word processors.)

Another thought about software: with the stuff you have to buy, you can often find good deals on student editions. I have seen ads from college bookstores that have good prices for students. The hitch: you might get stuck with a "student" edition. This is likely all you need, but--technically--is likely to be licensed only for student or home and student use.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2015 at 05:26 PM ----------

Actually, most of the MacBook Pro line has no optical drive, either. I think the 13" MacBook Pro Chip talked about (non-Retina model) is the last with an optical drive.

The lack of Ethernet might or might be an issue. I still use wired connections for everything, but a lot of people only do wi-fi these days.

---------- Post added 20th Apr 2015 at 05:33 PM ----------

Probably one of those things that varies person to person. As mentioned above, I know someone who traveled a lot, and I think the small size and weight of the Air were huge selling points.

But...for the rest of us that might not be the case. And certainly there could be features in a heavier machine (e.g. Ethernet, more power, better screen) that might make that extra pound or two worth it.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth... my Mac Mini (a 2013 model, an upgrade for the 2010 we moved to a different use) didn't come with an optical drive. I thought that was going to be a big deal. I bought a USB external optical drive for about $30, and I think I've used it a grand total of 10 times.

I agree that the extra lightweight features of the Air are probably outweighed by the benefits of the Pro series.

... And don't let anybody talk you into a non-Apple product. I spent about 25 years using exclusively PC products (first DOS-based and then Windows), I'm a pretty hardcore tech nerd, and I was dragged kicking and screaming into the Mac world. I had a million reasons why I couldn't switch. They were all bullshit. (Disclaimer: I'm not a gamer, and having the fastest, most powerful machine is not at all important to me. Those are valid reasons to stick with the PC world.)

Macs... just work. Everything is easier, simpler, more elegant. There's simply no comparison. Yes, you pay a bit of a premium for that, but for me... the savings in workflow, reliability, not having to ever fuck with anything to get it to work... makes it a no-brainer. (And yes, I know I'll probably start a war here, but the OP has already said he wants a Mac... I'm just supporting what he's already asked for.)

17. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went with Macs because I was always working in Journalism and Graphic Design from middle school onward, and Macs were all we used due to the reliance on Adobe CS programs (yes, you can get a PC, but there is a definite stereotype of Macs and design/journalism).

I would say getting the new Macbook is good if you want an ultraportable, and a new 13" Macbook Pro is good if you want a more powerful machine. Whether you need that much power really depends. I could see it be useful if you were doing video editing or other graphics intensive things, but it seems like a dedicated graphics card is not as necessary.

You might consider contacting the college/department you want to major in what is their requirement. I started out as an architecture student, so we needed at least a Macbook Pro to run programs like AutoCAD.

I'm currently running a mid-2009 15" Macbook Pro that works great for me! It will be six years old, and all I did was upgrade the hard drive to an SSD drive (faster like Chip mentioned) and the RAM. Unfortunately, it seems a lot of newer models are less easy modify, so it pays to upgrade while new. RAM is the easiest way to speed things up.

18. starfish

I wouldn't suggest the non-retina MacBook Pro. It has not been update in a while and is nearly 2 generations behind. I had one that I bought in 2012 and it was a good machine, but even with a Samsung 840 pro SSD AND 16gb of ram it felt sluggish compared to the new dell ultra book I just got from work.

Unless you need ultra portability I would avoid the new MacBook for a primary machine. My self I like the size of the 13 over the 15, but I use and external monitor at home.

With your budget I would suggest the highest speced 13" retina MacBook Pro you can get.

19. maarsut98

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on what you'll do with it. I recently bought a 2015 MacBook Air and I'm loving it. It's fast and light and actually more powerful than some might think. Initially I wanted to go with the Pro Retina but as I'm living in the Euro-zone it just had an increase in like €250 without any major changes so I refused to spend so much more when I could buy an Air for so much less money. Photoshop (or actually and Adobe software): runs fine. Games: run fine. Okay, if you need like hardcore video editing go for the Pro.

13" Air: light, 12-hour battery, cheaper than Pro, fast enough for almost everything
    13" Pro: new Force Touch-trackpad, 10-hour battery, sharper Retina screen, better for hardcore editing/gaming, heavier, less portable