1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most depressing video game deaths

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Knave, May 3, 2015.

1. Knave

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been created yet. But as the title says name the most depressing death that you've witnessed in a video game it can be either an NPC or the player character.
    For me there's a few that come to mind:

In Mass Effect when
    Mordin sacrifices himself to stop the Genophage. This one is even worse if he sings for you in Mass Effect 2 since he quite literally goes out singing.

And in Life is Strange
    If you fail to save Kate Marsh at the end of episode 2. This was one of the only times I actually broke down crying over a game. This was probably the worst death since you actually have a chance to stop it if you paid attention to details and helped Kate up to that point in the game. On my first playthrough I did manage to save her though. I think this one is worse when you know it's coming.

Those are the two that really resonate with me.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In pokemon Red/Blue when Gary's Ratacate died :frowning2:

3. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last year when I was really down I played this game called "The Static Speaks my name". It's short and very disturbing, but I played it over and over again because of what I could do in the game and couldn't do in real life.

So, yeah, pretty fucked up. :slight_smile:

4. Hatsune Miku

5. Eponine

Oh boy. Where do I begin...

From my favorite game ever, NieR: (MAJOR, MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

So many deaths in this game. So many that have been so depressing to process.

1) Lighthouse Lady

The lighthouse lady is just a nameless side character, but the series of quests related to her are downright depressing. Long story... an old cranky lady operates the lighthouse in a seaside village. She's mean to everyone. She had a lover decades ago. He left and she receives letters often from him. Except they aren't from him. Turns out he actually died a long time ago. She still receives letters, however. The postman and the entire town has basically been in on this secret for decades, trying to keep the old woman hopeful, thinking that one day her lover will return.

When you discover this secret, however, you also discover that the old women is dying with an incurable disease. You are also given the option to either let the women know the truth or let her die with the secret perpetuated. There is no difference in outcome either way. The old women will die. However, it is one of the most debated choices I remember seeing people discuss about this game. You just don't think there is a right answer regardless.

2) The Fisherman

Another nameless side character. His series of quests just involve you fishing and getting better at it, learning his skills. Seems simple enough, until you're told more about him after he dies. He was an old war mercenary and most people in his town just did not care for him because he did some supposedly horrible things. He was an isolated old man, basically. But you also learn that his last days teaching you how to fish were some of his happiest and that he was able to pass away without feeling as sad or lonely.

3) Fyra

This young lady had a disfigured face. She did not have much of a life with her family, so she basically was sent away to live on her own in a new town. In this new town, she always wore a certain mask. She met the prince and future king at this new town, and basically she was able to come out of her own shell through her interactions with him. She gained so much confidence and happiness that she was able to thrive in the village on her own.

Fast forward a number of years and it is the day of her wedding to the new king. Fyra has learned to become an amazing woman, despite still wearing a mask. She is beloved by everyone. Unfortunately, the conflicts of the town reach the city on this very day and she is killed while trying to protect the king. She died too soon, a sentiment felt by all the characters and by players.

4) Every main enemy in the second half

One of the main features about this game that makes me love it oh so very much (as well as hate life) is that each of the main boss enemies in the second half of the game are actually given a short and sweet backstory. During the first playthrough, you don't get anything. You just go on your rampage and kill them because they're enemies. Second playthrough, however...

You get to see their backstories interwoven with the game as originally played in the first playthrough, and you (as the player) are also given the opportunity to understand what these enemies are saying. Needless to say, they are not saying anything along the lines of evil monsters. They are just very sad, pitiful entities that you have to take down as a player, even though you don't want to anymore after knowing that they're not entirely evil.

I would make an entry for each boss that this applies to, but I just can't. I am getting overwhelmed just remembering all of this.

There are also more deaths, but, again, I'm overwhelmed so I'll stop here.
    And those are just the death related depressing moments in this game. There are so many other things that are just as depressing...

6. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dimitri Rascalov's death in GTA IV...He's my favorite main antagonist...

7. Vonyano

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Lee from The walking dead, just thinking about it makes me want to cry.

8. Lazuri

Oh, so many. My poor heart is shattered from all the times it has been broken.

Mass Effect 3
    This game was a roller coaster for me as a lot of characters I like died. Mordin's death was tough, but Legions was worse. The first time I played it, I failed to save both the Geth and Quarians and I picked the Quarians. It prompted Legion to attempt to kill me before Tali stabbed him in the back. His last words were "creator Tali'Zorah, does this unit have a soul?" Yes it did, Legion. Yes it did.

Metal Gear Solid 3 & 4
    I loved the Boss. She was a terrific character and the truth of her sacrifice had a very heavy impact to me. And the horribly genius decision of having the player actively pull the trigger made the whole ordeal worse as it made the player feel personal guilt over her death.

As for Big Boss in MGS4, it was much for the same reasons as the Boss. Big Boss sacrificed himself much in the same way, but where the Boss sacrificed herself for her nation, Big Boss sacrificed himself to save his son.

Bioshock: Infinite
    The ending to Infinite stuck with me for months. The realization of how Booker and Elizabeth were connected and the subsequent sacrifice of Booker to maybe save his daughter some anguish touched me deeply.

Bioshock: Infinite--Burial at Sea
    I didn't want Elizabeth to die. I really didn't. Not only did she die, she died twice; once because of her thirst for vengeance and once to correct the mistakes that her vengeful rampage brought on somebody innocent. She sacrificed everything to save Sally. After she died the first time, she gained a quantum super position and could do literally anything and she was happy in her created version of Paris. She gave it all up to save somebody innocent who was in trouble because of her mistakes and she died to set it right. What's even worse is that her death made Booker's sacrifice pointless. They both deserved better, especially Elizabeth.

The Last of Us
    Sarah. Just.... Fucking Sarah, man. It was only made worse by the brilliant acting of all the characters involved.

The Darkness
    An often overlooked game with a brilliant narrative. Jenny's death struck me hard. The game had done a good job emphasizing that Jenny was the light of Jackie's life and when her light was snuffed out, the only thing that remained for Jackie was darkness and he gave in to it completely. Her death was only made worse by the ending cutscene where Jackie's words just broke my heart--"I loved you so much, yet all I ever did was kill you."

9. White Knight

Every unavoidable death in Mass Effect 3... It feels like game taking its revenge for all those times I laughed my arse off whenever Jacob took a rocket to the face... which is every play thru. He is probably only character whose sub-quest play better without his existence.

I don't think this qualifies as spoiler as it is very early in game and can't be avoided by any means... Human Noble origin in Dragon Age: Origins.

While not sad still quite depressing... Dragon Age 2 serial killer arc.

10. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    </3 Very depressing </3

Left 4 Dead
    Bill :tears:
    [​IMG]
    I seriously cried while playing The Sacrifice Campaign alone! He is my favorite character. He died for Zoey, Francis, and Loius' life.

And... and... I saw his dead body in The Passing </3

11. Foz

Foz Guest

Nothing, just nothing tops this -

[​IMG]

But there two also were very emosh
    [​IMG]

[YOUTUBE]nKB7eVCJT-8[/YOUTUBE]

12. nohalos

Sarah's from the Last of Us

Roth's from Tomb Raider

13. TheHesitantAlien

Poor you! :frowning2: I know what that game's about, so I really feel for you...

14. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

When the main character dies at the end of Red Dead Redemption. One of the best games I have ever played and what an ending!

15. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dom - metal gear
    Lee - the walking dead
    John Marston - red dead redemption
    Booker - Bioshock infinite
    Joker - Arkham City

16. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sarah's death in The Last of Us has me choked up and crying every time.

17. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Basically anybody from The Last of Us. That game hits home.

The first time I got to the end of Ib was pretty depressing as well. Geez, I remember yelling at the computer with my friends. XD

18. Foz

Foz Guest

(*hug*)

19. C P

C P

In Golden Sun,
    Saturos and Menardi's
    deaths at the end of the game kinda got me, even though they did horrible sh*t to nearly everyone that wound up in their way(some just by horrible luck/timing). It's when you play GS: The Lost Age when you discover why they were the way they were, and that was pretty sad in itself.

20. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This one.