Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware

Technology, Gaming, Soft-& Hardware Chat about gaming, technology, computer software and hardware, MP3 players, gadgets etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5th May 2015, 08:02 AM   #1
Empty Closets Advisor
Advisor

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: My girlfriend, a few friends

Laptop Recommendations

I've had my current laptop for almost five years and it's really starting to go downhill. The problem is I'm having a lot of trouble finding one that fits what I'm looking for.

This is my current laptop. I'd like something as good or better. I'm open to most brands, though preferably not HP as that's what I had before this one. My biggest requirement is a CD-drive. I have to be able to watch DVDs and play video games that still require discs. I know that I could get an external but I'd rather not. Unfortunately I'm not looking to spend over $300.

Also does anyone have any experiences buying refurbished laptops from major chains (like Best Buy)--positive or negative?
Aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 12:53 PM   #2

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: All but family

Re: Laptop Recommendations

4 gig of ram, maybe with an upgrade option to 8gb (if you need that in 2 years)
intel core i3, intel core i5 (better)

make shure you have 2 or 3 years of warranty - refurbished often has just 1 year.. if that thing gets broken after 13 months you lost all the money...

mine tend to break down every 1-2 years - but I use my stuff a couple of hours everyday...

edit: and don't buy a laptop just cause it looks fancy...
fancy stuff with slow performance isn't what you want...

Last edited by banana1; 5th May 2015 at 12:56 PM..
banana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 05:22 PM   #3

Orientation: Straight
Out Status: Out to everyone

Have you tried a Chromebook? Samsung and Asus make really nice ones that are under your price-point.
"Since the dawn of existence, there have always been moments when the course of history shifted. Such a turning point is upon us now. The conflict between the better and worst angels of our very nature, whose outcome will change our world so greatly, there will be no going back." - Professor X
scIance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 05:55 PM   #4
the river provides
Chat Room Moderator

Orientation: Gotta catch 'em all

I agree with AP. Chromebooks should suit you just fine, as it doesn't seem like you'd need it for any heavy-duty operations. That said, I doubt you'd be able to find one with a cd-drive. They're made to be light weight and very slim, something which cd-drives are not promotive of.

Buying refurbished is a good option if you want to cut down your prices even more. I've never bought a refurbished computer, however, back in the day, I went through a few refurbished digital cameras from Future Shop. They all worked fine, and you can often get extended warranties on those items. Another option is to keep your eyes peeled for "open box" items. These are products that have been taken out of their boxes before, but are still unused. Stores usually chip off a little bit of money off for such products.

I know that at Future Shop (at least, my local one), you used to be able to haggle prices with the department worker/manager. My dad was with me when I bought my first computer, and he got 60 bucks taken off, due to just chatting up the guy. If you buy online, or directly from the manufacturer, then you'll likely also be able to bargain with an agent. These things really depend on how firm the stores are with their pricing, if the sales reps are on commission, location, etc.

Good luck!
Old 6th May 2015, 06:38 AM   #5
Empty Closets Advisor
Advisor
Threadstarter

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: My girlfriend, a few friends

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scIance View Post
Have you tried a Chromebook? Samsung and Asus make really nice ones that are under your price-point.
I've looked at quite a few of them and they are appealing, but like Batman mentioned they don't have CD drives.
Aspen is offline   Reply With Quote