1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How well do you learn new games?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, May 6, 2015.

1. Lazuri

I've noticed with my friends and I that we all learn games at different rates. For example, I will personally learn new games extremely quickly and gain skill in it at such a rate that I dwarf the abilities of my friends, but then eventually hit a roof past which I can not progress and my friends either catch up or surpass me. It takes a lot of time with a game for me to become truly skilled at it. Contrariwise, I have a friend who learns new games extremely slowly and comes across as inept when he plays a new game, but after a while he gets the hang of it and gets really good in the space of a couple of hours. Needless to say, when it comes to competitive games, we're each other's nemesis.

Another friend just has a slow and steady climb from poor to skilled, one of them never really gets good, one of them starts at an average level and never moves etc etc.

So what learning rate do you guys have?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same as yours, Lazuri. I think this is because i play lots of different game styles, so , while i can learn everything pretty quickly, i have trouble becoming a master in one of them.

3. Lazuri

I think you're right. I tend to play a lot of different games.

This also means my adaptability is very high, so when a game introduces a new element, I'll use it well pretty much immediately. That's also why I'm good at multi-purpose games like GTA where I'm good at shooting, flying, driving and whatever else the game comes up with. Less talented with games with singular purpose, like fighting games.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly, i feel the same way.

5. nohalos

Learning is pretty easy for me, about an hour or two I'd be adjusted. I usually think about giving up before I try, and then I love it when I've ACTUALLY tried and went along with it.

I gotta say I'm pretty good at 1 fighting game, which is Tekken. I actually took time to learn how to use characters properly. Some take 2 hours, some about less than 20 mins. Once you get the drift, you can start gliding with it.

EDIT: But I never really MASTER any games. I'm a casual gamer.

6. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I learn immediately...

7. Spacewalker

I think I'm kind of stumbling through the game until I get how it works and then get better with steady speed. But it happens sometimes that an easy obstacle stops me so it's kind of an up and down on top of an up. If you get me:grin:

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If I really like the game, very quickly. Otherwise, it's totally up in the air, how long it takes.

9. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am mostly a PC gamer, and PC games are a bit hard to learn since there are lots of buttons as compared to console games. But yeah, I can say that I am in the middle of fast learner and not so fast learner (but I am a bit closer to the fast learners). Tho I wouldnt stop playing it until I knew and mastered all the controls.

When we're taking about MOBA/fighting games, it only takes me a few games to get the controls right. It will also take me 2-3 games just to master and find a good item build/combo for a champion/character.

When we're talking about shooting games, just one game is enough for me to know the controls.

RPG, for me is really hard to learn but it is also the best. It will take me several hours, sometimes even a day, to get use to the controls. I've played several Fantasy RPG's and all of them have different controls on casting spells, moving, using item, etc.

10. Willow Melody

Out Status:
    Some people
    I become average quickly, generally speaking.
    Getting beyond that takes ten times as long.

It does depend on the game, though. Puzzle games take awhile longer than any other, and anything on consoles takes a bit longer than PC games.

11. Jellal

No matter what it takes me a long time to get good at a game. But once I get good ... um ... I'm pretty good? Definitely not great. But good.

Give me 20 hours and I'll be a lot better than when I started.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty quickly. I'd say on average I'm quite good at games, which allows me to enjoy more invested experiences like Arma 3, Kerbal Space Program (although this one is fun even if you're not a great rocket scientist) and Mount & Blade. To play any of these at a moderate level is not for the faint of heart.

My problem comes in the meta strategy in competition. I don't usually try to min/max games or exploit glitches to gain an edge over opponents; I use what suits my playstyle, and occasionally what makes sense. Up against players who have done their homework, I get crushed. **Particular exception in Halo 3 though. For some reason I can pick it up after a long break and get in the top half of my team if not lead the team in kills/points. It's just my game. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I learn them quickly and get on an average level :slight_smile: But I never really get totally skilled or a pro on a game...maybe I just haven't the needed patience to practice. I don't play one game for hundreds of hour, after playing it some time I wanna try the next one.

14. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

It all depends on if I find the game really interesting then I'll work at my skills for a full afternoon if I have to and in turn, I get pretty good after a while.

I haven't really played many video games so I think the first time I actually spent a good deal of time using a controller was when my brother got his PS3 last year. Naturally, I sucked when I first played (which was Mortal Kombat) but I just kept challenging my brother, reading the controls and familiarizing myself until I got it.

15. White Knight

Usually at my pace. I am pretty self focused so don't realize how others learn the same games.

According to my brother whenever we play same game I become "master" quickly tho like I said I don't realize that... Put this self focused me with game picky me then you have a guy who lost himself in games he likes.