1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has playing a video game ever made feel sick?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by mangotree, May 28, 2015.

1. mangotree

Last night, I was playing Quantum Conundrum (trial) on PS3, and after only a few minutes - I ran to the toilet and threw up.
    Not sure if anything else contributed or not - e.g. something I ate. But needless to say, I won't be playing it again.

Also the original Wolfenstein (back in the 90's) used to give me terrible headaches, dizziness and sore eyes.

Feel free to include:
    Of course games where the physics, movement, colours, speed or graphics make you feel unwell.
    Games that are overly scary, bloody, gory, gross which made your body react unfavourably.
    Games that have hooked you so badly that you didn't eat or sleep for days.
    Games that are really bad for those who suffer from epileptic seizures.

#1 mangotree, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  2. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    YES! I went to a friend's house for a family dinner, and she introduced me to Assassin's Creed and Portal. So..much..spinning... I'm not sure if it was the AC that made me feel nauseated and have a headache, or if it was the Portal. I'm pretty sure that it was the Portal, because I've seen much more blood in other games, etc. It went away after I fell asleep, and I was fine the next morning, but still.

Portal-killer headache and nausea. Not for the beginning gamer if you spin too much.

3. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Nah that's never happened to me, I always wonder about it whenever I see those labels with about the health warnings and stuff, luckily I've never had an issue with it and neither has anyone else I've met.

4. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I played League of Legends for 8 (maybe more) hours straight, no food breaks. And after I am done with it, I feel dizzy and had a headache. Does that counts?

5. Lazuri

Yes, once and it was the XBL version of Perfect Dark. I'm not sure why, but I think it may have been the rough textures and the way they didn't blend into eachother at all combines with the head bobbing.

My ex, on the other hand, would get nauseous watching or playing any FPS, which tells me she suffered from simulation sickness. She also got sick playing the first Kingdom Hearts, but not the second, which I believe was due to the overactive camera and the color scheme consisting of very bright colors

6. White Knight

In City of Heroes sewer or cavern... especially Council caverns were giving me motion sickness. If someone somehow gave me a speed boost I would stop playing in order to stop myself from puking my guts out.

Also that game used to gave me mild headaches as well thanks to insane amount of flashy FX and costume parts....

Anyway game is long gone and I am safe now. My current MMOs doesn't have that flashy fxs. Single players games are play usually RPGs with very slower pacing compared to MMOs.

7. Froot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, the only one that made me physically ill was World of Warcraft. Mainly because I'd play for hours and hours and I guess not eating/drinking/sleeping well along with moving the camera around in the game made my stomach upset and gave me a headache all day (along with sleep deprivation when I was really really into it) ^^;;
    Oh and sometimes any CoD makes me nauseous after awhile.

8. Knave

Space Engineers... Just... No. Only game that's ever made me sick.

Actually that's not true Mass Effect 1 + Motion Blur on + Flu = Just... A bad combination. Though that one was less the game but it didn't help.

9. Porphyrogenitus

Yep. First-person games, and also games where I have difficulty seeing things (like enemies). It's why I mostly play RPGs where enemies have nice visible labels above their heads.

I've never actually thrown up because of it, though.

10. Theo Weiss

Super Hexagon usually makes me nauseous if I play for too long.

11. Spacetime

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm very light sensitive and prone to getting motion sick, so I can't play most video games for any length of time. First person shooters make me dizzy. I couldn't get very far into Bioshock 2 because I hated drilling people apart. Portal makes me motion sick, so I can only play it a few puzzles (or tests) at a time. The orange cubes in the Mass Effect 3 mission, Rannoch: Geth Fighter Squadrons make me incredibly itchy and uncomfortable for some reason. That's all I can think of for now, but yes, video games are very capable of making me feel sick. I still love them.

12. Envy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All 3 dragon age games, when I first get them I wait till I have time off to play, then play days straight hardly eating or sleeping until I beat them the first time, it usually makes me sick, I'm that way with some other rpgs too, I still like them tho

13. Lazuri

Simulation sickness always fascinated me in the way it works. The principle is the same as in motion sickness where your sense of balance says you're still and your eyes tells your brain that you're moving, creating conflicting feedback to your brain. That part everybody knows, but a lot of people never question why this makes you sick.

It's actually really cool because when the brain gets this conflicting feedback, it immediately thinks you are hallucinating and when you are hallucinating, your brain's default response is "holy shit, I've been poisoned! Gotta vomit it all out!"

And that's why you get sick. Your brain thinks you have been poisoned.

14. Miko

Miko Guest

I've only ever had minor headaches when I played some games with my face pressed up too close to the screen and that was when I was a kid.

Since then? I dunno, I mean there was a gory scene in Amnesia that made me feel a bit grossed out but that's as close as I've come since I was a kid. ^-^

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The PS1 remake of Asteroids reliably gave me a headache. It couldn't have been anything but the relentless pewpewpewpewpewpewpew though. I should have played it on mute.

16. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If the FOV is lower than 150 (yes, I play all games on that or higher), I can tolerate it up to 220 without getting sick; 165 is my normal FOV.

17. Sienrar

I sometimes get dizzy when playing old FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom but other than that I can play any game without issues.

18. Blakeee

I sometimes get sick from playing games. It's usually during gory, overly-violent scenes though.

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

YES, from playing resistance 3 & because of the quick,rapid first person movement. It made me feel dizzy. I couldn't get up.

20. Kaeya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ohh yeah it has. Years ago I picked up a copy of Tomb Raider Anniversary and 30 minutes in got motion sickness. I turned off motion blur and I could continue playing it.