1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention Mac users

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Miaplacidus, May 31, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is Mac OS X as good as they say? I am going to try to install it on my (non-Apple) PC using some tricks, but I'd like to know your opinion.

2. JSG

JSG Guest

I use Mac OS X, I find it great, I've been using Mac since I was a little kid. But it depends what you want to use your computer for...

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really love it... it's probably not great from a power-*nix user perspective but it's a great gui/command-line hybrid thingee. And pretty stable from what I can tell.

And GUI-wise it's gorgeous.

But you should really get yourself a Mac to run it... you can run Windows on the new Intel Macs, either bootwise or virtually with Parallels. And you can even multi-boot into Linux distros if you want.

4. CM1989

I've used Macs for the last three years and I can say I'll never go back to a pc. I would recommend getting a mac though, instead of using a hack to put it on a pc.

5. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if I had the money... the problem is, a Mac comparable to my Gateway MX6448 laptop costs about $2000 and I don't have $20...

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I won't ask how you "obtained" Mac OS X then.... :wink:

The current version is 10.4.9 by the way. Any 10.4.* installation will update to 10.4.9 automatically, but those from before 10.4 won't.

As I understand it, 10.3 is OK but anything below that is not worth the bother (especially 10.0).