1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazing Next Gen Graphics @ E3

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Foz, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Foz

Foz Guest

I've seen most of the reveals at E3 and I cannot believe the graphics we'll be treated to this year. Assassins Creed Syndicate and Need For Speed 2015 are the two which stand out the most for me, at first I thought they were rendered scenes but then I realised that this was actually gameplay. I am seriously blown away this year.

Skip to 4:30 here, it looks like it's been filmed, then I thought it's just rendered but then I saw the camera pan round and the customisation begin and suddenly I saw that these are the actual graphics!! Of course I am delighted they used a Subaru to showcase the NFS us nostalgic "give us back Underground 2" twenty somethings have been screaming for years about :grin:
    [YOUTUBE]B-GnzrkRujc[/YOUTUBE]

And Assassins Creed here
    [YOUTUBE]DdDew9elcZU[/YOUTUBE]

#1 Foz, Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  2. Lazuri

Don't get your hopes up. It's E3 so I can almost guarantee you that these games will be downgraded graphically. In fact, I absolutely can in the case of Syndicate.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it's pre-rendered it doesn't count.

4. Lazuri

Even if they aren't, videos in general count for very little on E3 these days. Even so called "gameplay" trailers almost always feature graphics that will be downgraded in the final version and features a heavily scripted segment that isn't actually in the game.

I stopped looking at trailers of all kinds years ago because they're not meant to show gameplay, just to hype you up enough to throw your money at them and then the actual game never lives up to the hype. These days I just read what a game will feature and how it will play and I make my decision based on that. I've not been disappointed by a new game for years.

E3 is basically a convention where the biggest liars in the industry gather and see who can get the most sheep to praise their name.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What you described counts to me as pre-rendering. As a former graphics programmer, I realize there's a difference between what a film studio rendering farm does and what a realtime renderer does, but I would argue that the show isn't legitimate unless it's an engine demo, which is not what a scripted scene is. That's still pre-rendering.

6. Lazuri

I don't really feel like it holds up.

The game industry already has a concept of what "pre-rendered" means. Pre-rendered scenes refer to scenes that are made in the game's engine, but not rendered in real time--like a cutscene. In these so called gameplay demos, there is a person playing--he's just playing a heavily scripted segment meant specifically to look dynamic and impressive but the guy playing knows exactly when and how to trigger everything. Graphically speaking, it's still rendered in real time. It's just optimized better than the finished game will be and is quite likely running on more powerful hardware.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh. Well in that case, I agree it's not pre-rendered, but I don't think that running it on more powerful hardware than the average consumer has is deceptive. Optimizing it better for the demo specifically is deceptive though.

8. The Wallflower

To put it simple, it's all just for show. Don't get too hyped; I guarantee you will be dissapointed.

9. Lazuri

When I say more powerful hardware, I more or less mean that they play it on a developer kit that is much more powerful than the current consoles and then they pass it off as console gameplay. Ubislft are especially guilty of this and has been doing it since at least 2007, but it's more or less standard procedure at this point.

10. Foz

Foz Guest

Assassins Creed was actually played on a PS4 which is why I was so impressed as that is the graphics we will actually get. They seem to have broken their Microsoft ties (before a patch the PS4 versions could only play in 900p like the XBO) as the special edition is PS4 only.

11. Lazuri

Like Watch_Dogs was? Just wait and see. It'll be downgraded.

12. Foz

Foz Guest

Just because of one game 3 years ago doesn't mean it's every damn one. People complained that the beta of Watchdogs was better graphics, but the truth is that the AI ended up taking up much more resources and last gen was still current then, hence why most game launches are next gen only now.

13. Lazuri

Alright, Witcher 3 then? That one was a double whammy as it both got downgraded and PC gameplay was claimed to be console gameplay. It happens all the time and I'm just saying that it's a bad idea to get hyped about games before they're out because it is so extremely rare these days that a trailer--in whatever form--is representative of the actual game.

When it comes to games, it's far better to be a pessimist. Either it's exactly what you expected and won't be disappointed or you're pleasantly surprised.

14. Foz

Foz Guest

Well that's quite optimistic isn't it :lol:

And you stole that from my old sig!

15. Lazuri

I did? Well then! You said it yourself!

16. Foz

Foz Guest

I couldn't care if NFS 2015 has crap graphics, it's back to what NFS:Underground was like with full on customisation. I just want to relive my youth! :lol:

Damn, Underground 1 came out when I was 11, that's over half my life ago!

17. Lazuri

Guess I can relate. If there'd be a new Burnout that had the same quality of Burnout 3, I don't know what I'd do.

18. Foz

Foz Guest

Burnout 3, what a game!! It's funny you mention it as I played it 2 weeks ago, I've got the original full fat PS3 which could play PS2 games, I got it for my 15th birthday and I don't know how it's not broken yet! All the early ones has a solder issue, I worked out it's had about 12,000 hours of use!

Just to make you feel old, Burnout 3 was launched 11 years ago.

Tuk Tuk Takedown was just beyond hilarious :roflmao:

#18 Foz, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  19. YunoGasai

fallout 4 and bo3 are the only games i give a shit about this year

20. ApexxShadow

This is honestly amazing.