1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mitchell, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Mitchell

Hi all,

Do many of you have MacBook Pro's?

I bought this one back in March after I accidentally spilled on my last one and broke it.

I have a 15" Retina MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD (solid state drive), Iris Pro Graphics... Quad Core i7 with HT (Hyper Threading)

I love it!

I also have Parallels Desktop to run Windows 7 in a virtual machine for EQ, EQ2, and a few things I need for school (such as Cisco Packet Tracer).

It's really nice and fast - and my Windows 7 VM lets me run what I need to run for Windows.

Just curious if many others are MacBook fans?

2. Foz

Foz Guest

Freakin' yes! I love them! I've thrown so much abuse at mine and it still rocks on, no one can match the build quality of Apple. I've got 2, I bought 17" one with a 1st gen i7 in 2010 then I bought this one in 2012 after I went into the Apple store for an iPhone case, I got talking to the guy and he mentioned they had a top of the range early 2011 15" model which retailed for £2400 and they were selling it for £1400 just to get rid of it. I've since added a 512GB SSD and now a 1TB SSD as they're so damn cheap!

3. Mitchell

Nice! The new ones are non-upgradable though. :frowning2:

I have mine plugged into an external display, a few USB drives, and a bluetooth keyboard and mouse right now.

4. Foz

Foz Guest

I've been looking at a new one as students get 35% off Apple stuff and they do 0% finance for 10 months which is pretty tempting. But I don't need it as the processor in it is bloody mental, the only reason for me to buy a new one is for the screen (OMG it's gorgeous) and thinness, I was considering the new MacBook Air but it's processor is slower than the old one which is just silly. So I just got a 4G iPad Air 2 128GB, the processor in it benchmarks higher than my 1st gen i7! It's bloody crazy, I love Moore's law :grin:

5. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last year I got an entry level Macbook Pro 13 with retina screen. I also got a 10 percent student discount, because a friend of mine is still a student :slight_smile:. The screen is superb and the build quality of the machine is excellent. At first I was not happy about spending so much money on something so basic, but now I love it more than anything.

My only complain is that sometimes I'm left without disk space because I got the model with the 128GB SSD. It's not a big problem though, because I also have a small Synology NAS server at home for keeping stuff and a very powerful workstation at work when I need to do intensive computations.

If you don't need to play games or run special Windows software on your laptop just get yourself a Mac. The troubles with the other OEMs are simply not worth the money that you will save.

p.s. I didn't mention the touchpad. It's freaking awesome! It's not a touchpad, it's like an extension of my mind.

6. YunoGasai

i got one about a year ago but i never really used it since im more of a desktop person also it wasn't the fastest being the 2011 13 i5 with a hdd and 4gb of ram. it also doesnt help that i stored it on top of my xbox so the battery got pregnant XD it would upset me that my £400 laptop broke but since i only used it once a month at most i dont really care. not even enough to get it fixed for £50 XD one day when i need a computer for school i will get it fixed and use it but until then i dont really give a fuck.

7. Mitchell

I'm on my... umm... 4th MacBook.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been having one since 2007, and my current one is from 2009. Still chugging along! I used Macs throughout my school years, both the originals, then the first iMacs, and then the gorgeous wide screens in journalism class.

9. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, I'm a big Apple fan. I have a 13-inch retina MacBook Pro with 256 GB SSD. It's been working well for me for about a year. The 15-inch is too big for my liking (I have an iMac at home), but I wouldn't mind getting a new 13-inch when a good enough update comes :slight_smile:

10. v3ronica93

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a Late 2011 13 inch Macbook Pro and I love it. I went with the 13 inch Macbook Pro for portability (15 inch is a bit too big for my liking) and it's a bit more powerful than a Macbook Air (Plus, my model of Macbook Pro has a disk drive)

11. Mitchell

It's interesting to see everyone's take on these computers.

I use Parallels Desktop to run Windows inside of OS X (Virtualization)

It works very well for me. :slight_smile:

I'm able to play some games I like that are for Windows only, such as EverQuest 2.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm somewhat of a MacBook fan, although I have never owned one. For that matter, I've never had any notebook computer, apart from old models that were basically toys to play with. But if I were buying a notebook computer in that price class, the MacBook would be a strong contender, maybe the only real contender. Particularly if there was the vision that the computer would be the primary computer.

My ex-roommate had a MacBook (IIRC second generation), and I was quite impressed by that computer. Last I knew, that MacBook was still running.

13. Mitchell

Yeah! I use mine as a primary computer.

Right now its plugged into an external monitor, and I have a bluetooth keyboard, speakers, mouse, and a few USB hard drives and camera.

14. starfish

I had a couple of them. I had a 2007 MacBook Pro. My god was that thing a price of junk I replaced every part of it except the bottom case.

I replaced it in 2012 with a 13" MacBook Pro. I put 16gb of ram and. 512GB SSD in it. That was a nice machine. I don't need the portability anymore so I replaced it with a MacPro. Man that machine is freaking sweet.