1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C++

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ThetasTrust, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

I am novice programmer wanting to get better at what i do, and was wondering if you guys out there could share some resources or tips on getting started in C++.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I know from C++ is that I stopped, because it confused me too much. I was 15 or so too at that time and didn't look in it again. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Where will you use it for? Are you going to write practical programs (help tools), planning on designing a game? =)

When I want to learn how to program, I just search for learn C++ on the internet and try out websites. I follow their examples (if relevant), and try to program myself too. Programming is something you do by learning, not reading. Things might look easy, but you'll run into new problems along the way (or finding that one bug in your code.. That can be incredibly dreadful, though helpful too). =)

I also set some goals for myself. As in, after learning about this and that, I'll try to make a program that does this and that. For instance, writing a program that replaces all values higher than and equal to zero with zero in an n×n matrix.

3. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

Well as of the moment im trying to build stuff i find useful, but hopefully going into practical tools to help run operating systems better. Currently ive been practicing with simple prgrams such as hello world and having spell out or name. My current project that i want to complete is an english to binary encoder/decoder. Im part of a specialized section of my highschool that concentrates in game and computer programming, but i hope to get even better with it out in the world.

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's interesting! :icon_bigg I think you should just google "C++ tutorial", just follow them and see if you can catch up with them. =)

5. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

Thanks ill try thst,

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey sweetie :3

C++ is a bit of a difficult language to start on. I recommend Python for beginning programmers. It has a lot of powerful functionality, and you can even do game programming with PyGame and various Python OpenGL libraries out there.

But, if you still want to do C++, it's a very good language to learn. I normally just look for C++ STL reference pages online, and that serves my purposes.

I'm happy to field any questions.

~ Adrienne

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't start with c++ unless you're already in uni. Pick something simpler (python, java, js, etc.) and learn programming paradigms on examples, focusing on language features is a waste of time. This is even more true for c++, which is an awful and horribly overcomplicated language (especially for a beginner).

8. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

Im aware of the difficulty, i have been programming with vex robotics using robotC which derives from C (which is even more difficult to grasp). I have become pretty efficient in building autonomous programs with RobotC as well. I am trying to break away from object oriented programming such as javascript.

Ill take a look at some of the ones guys recommended though. Thanks.

9. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can find a ton of online tutorials just by googling "c++ tutorials." Use those tutorials to familiarize yourself with the language and get used to the syntax, but those tutorials will only take you so far, so at some point you'll probably have to take a class if you want to go more in-depth with the language.

But I agree with some of the other posters, c++ isn't the best language for beginning programmers, and it can be easy to get lost or confused if you don't have a lot of experience programming in other languages. You might want to start with something simpler, but if you think you're ready to go right to c++, there's no harm in trying.

10. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

Im actually trying to see if my programmimg teacher will start up a C++ class afterschool. She said if i could gather enough dedicated people she would next year. I dont know why i just have the urge to learn C++. Like you said there is no harm in trying. Thanks.

11. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I recommend signing up for a PluralSight account. I use C#, not C++, but they have fantastic video lessons on there and I used it to learn quite a bit about MVC. It's not very expensive and I think you can get a free trial for 10 hours of classes or something along those lines.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    C# is also a good language in my opinion! It hides enough of the memory management from you that you can just learn programming concepts. The syntax is also close enough to C++ that once you have learned C#, it's very easy to make the transition to C++.

13. ThetasTrust

ThetasTrust Guest

Okay thanks C# i think i will actually learn it my junior year for the unity game development software.

14. Kaeya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I started with C++, but I did that in university and I had people to teach us. Anyways I think python, c# is the best to start on. Especially C#. You can start building little windows programs or mobile applications with it pretty soon.

When you will get your basic skills in one of the languages I recommend visiting these sites : C programming.com - Learn C and C++ Programming - Cprogramming.com Programming Challenges | Programmr. You can find lots of programming exercises and solutions. It will help improving your skills.

15. starfish

I liked the Dietel and Dietal how to program series. I learned C++ with thier book back in the day.

16. NekoLucy

Out Status:
    Some people
    C++ is a good language to start with. The beginning is mostly the same with every language. Understand variables, functions, objects, and so on. If you know how one language works, it's easy to learn another. But it's harder to go from Phyton, Javascript or Ruby to something like C# or Java.

It depends on WHAT are you wanting to do.

If you want to write games, you can start with 2D games and Gamemaker + Gamemaker Language, after that you can jump to C# and Unity or Unreal and C++.

If it should be usable multiplatform on Windows, Linux, Android, etc... you can use C++ with an Framework like Qt or C# with Xamarin. Unreal, Gamemaker and Unity are also multiplatform. And there is also Java, but I, personally, don't like Java. Programming C# or C++ is nicer and funnier.

If you only want to develop on Windows, just stick with C#.Net.

And for books, look here. These are recommendations from professional programmers:
    c++ faq - The Definitive C++ Book Guide and List - Stack Overflow