1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Mac should I get?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ilovesg, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've never had a Mac before and there are so many that I am getting confused. I want one that has a cd drive, but I heard Apple doesn't really do that anymore? It doesn't have to be super fast or anything, because I would just use it for school work and to go online. I don't play video games or anything that would need a lot of memory. I'm not sure which size but my friend said 13" is good. I just want to be able to keep my music and pictures on it, type my assignments, and go online. Does anyone know which one is the best for that? My price range is pretty flexible, but I don't really need any of the stuff the expensive ones have.

2. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who got his first Mac a few months ago, I know it can be rather confusing it find the right computer. Macs are drastically different than PC, though to me they seem more civilized and organized. Which is nice.

You're not going to want what I have (Macbook Air) as it doesn't have a CD Drive. I believe MacBook Pros are the only ones that still have those, and the Pros are generally the most expensive of them all. (Especially if you're wanting a 13" screen, and not 11").

Pros are more powerful though (or so I've been told), and my friend in university said that his makes his studies a lot easier. But that is (new) around $1400-1500 (13") at the lowest. If you want a good computer you're going to be at least spending $1200.

Now, while it is possible to get them second-hand I wouldn't advise it unless you can get the warranty transferred over to you.

Because Macs are very fragile.

Not even so much the computer, but the charging cable. Most stores will offer you warranty for the charging cable, which is always a good deal to take. Buying new, each cable will cost about $100, and there's a good chance you're going to go through a couple.

Get as much warranty as you can in general though. What you'll save on having to buy security can be used to fund you getting a better warranty package.

But honestly, if you're not going to be using it a lot, and don't want to spend a lot of money, I'd go with a different brand. Because pretty much any new laptop can do what you need without the add-ons that a Mac has.

I personally love my Mac. But it did cost be $1600 all in all, and it isn't even one of the higher end computers.

3. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Is there a huge difference with the screen sizes? I have a very small computer right now and I find it irritating but I think it's even smaller than 11" so I'm not sure if I should get the 11" or 13". I had a dell and it doesn't even turn on anymore (it's only a few years old) and I kind of hate pcs. I like how macs are much more minimalistic and just more organized, like you said. I think I would use my computer a lot, just not for anything too crazy. I rather pay a lot right now and have my computer last a long time than buy another dell ad have it break in two seconds again, you know? thank you for your help by the way! I think I'm going to get the pro.

4. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My last computer was a Dell as well. I liked the touch screen feature, but Windows 8 was annoying to handle. (Plus it did have some technical glitching.) So I do understand why you wouldn't want to go back to that.

I wouldn't say there's a huge difference in screen size. I have a 13" and it's a nice size. 11" is a little bit too small for me. Remember when you're looking for screen-size, that they measure it diagonally so you're not actually getting a 11" or 13" width screen.

I went from a 16.5" Dell to a 13" Mac, and the first couple of days were kind of weird, as I had to adjust to the size, but now anything bigger actually makes me feel weird. (ie. My mother's desktop is a 18" screen, and it makes me feel like my eyes are going to explode. Haha.)

Any new size is going to be a bit strange at first, though I'm sure you'll adjust either way.

5. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    play smash bros and get a free little Mac to use

6. Jellal

Go to Macofalltrades. They sell used Macs for 1/3rd of the price you can get one normally. They're the best, and in fact they're where I got my own computer from.

7. Silver Sparrow

Honestly, I think it also partly depends on height. I know for me (and I'm pretty short), I always have to hunch over my 11" Air, so I wish I'd gotten a 13" instead. I also am not a huge fan of the fact that the Air doesn't have a CD drive/various other ports, which can be helpful, albeit only occasionally so. However, weight is also a factor to take into account, especially if you plan on carrying the computer to or from school/work. My Air is super light (hence the name), but it might get annoying to carry the Pro a lot.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As for CD/DVD drives, those appear to be vanishing from a models. They seem to be still selling one older MacBook Pro 13" that is about $1100 that would have a CD/DVD drive. But that model is IIRC an older design that has "lingered", and I think the attitude of many is that it would be better to buy some other model unless there is a super compelling reason to buy the older 13" MacBook Pro. Apple (and others) make external CD/DVD drives, which is not as convenient "on the road" but at least gives an option for those who still used CDs or DVDs.

One other change is worth pointing out: upgradeable memory is something else Apple has phased out on many models. Thus one should buy as much memory as one will need when buying the computer. (And "by need" I mean not just today, but as long as the computer will likely be in one's service. Those who keep computers a long time might well seriously consider seriously "overbuying" memory--not needed today, but it might be helpful in 2 OS X releases from now...)

Screen size: this is one of those things that is highly subjective. I imagine there are people who are happy with the MacBook Air 11" as their only computer, and others who find the MacBook Pro 15" screen too small.

I do know someone who ran something like a 6 million dollar business off the 11" MacBook Air. Although I think he did have an external monitor at home to use with it, and one huge factor in his case was the amount of travel he did, which probably gave him an attitude of "the smaller and lighter, the better."

One thing you might do if you haven't is go to an Apple Store, or someplace that sells Macs and has them on display, and play with the various models. See what seems to fit, and what doesn't.

#8 BMC77, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another point: I'd probably AVOID the new MacBook. (Name just MacBook, not MacBook Air or MacBook Pro.) New design, and my thought is let others test in the real world to find problems Apple didn't before shipping. Plus...I read one review, which had some comments about slight sluggishness at times. This is a concern, at least for people like me who expect computers to last a while. If there is slight sluggishness now, what will it be like two years from now?

10. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think I'll be taking it out of my house very much so the weight doesn't really bother me. I think I've ruled out the air because it doesn't have the cd drive. I think the 13" would be good 11" sounds a little small. thanks!

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2015 at 07:30 PM ----------

Do you think it would be best to buy a newer one with more memory and then just get an external cd drive? I want my computer to last a long time and I rather have that than a slow one just because it has a cd drive. Thank you so much for your help!

#10 ilovesg, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  11. Foz

Foz Guest

What do you need a CD drive for and how often will you use it? My mac has a drive but I never use it, my PC doesn't but I need a drive for it now and again so I just got a USB one for £30. I've got a 2011 15" MBP and it's still fast as hell, the only thing I'd upgrade it for would be the retina display. If you get a new one I'd advise you to get 16GB RAM as it cannot be upgraded later (everything is soldered to the MB in the new ones to make them thinner). If it is going to be your main one get the 15" screen, 13" does get tiresome after a while, my Laptop has a 14" screen and it's only good for travelling or short use otherwise it's plugged into a 29" monitor.

As above I wouldn't bother with the new 'macbook', it's designed for ultra portability therefore the CPU isn't great.

12. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No new macs have cd drives. They are a thing of the past and should stay in the past. If you need one you can buy a portable drive for as low as $20.

My suggestion is to get the latest MacBook Pro 13 with 256GB storage and 8GB of memory. That should keep you satisfied for many years. Here is the link to the Apple page, the model that you want is the one that costs $1499 Apple - MacBook*Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications

p.s. The screen comparison with Windows laptops that have same diagonal doesn't work, because the MacBooks have different screen dimensions (height and length) from the Windows ones. An Apple macbook with 13 inch screen feels like a 15" Windows laptop.

#12 pinkpanther, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're welcome!

Probably, yes, it would be better going newer. Newer MacBook Pros (ones with "Retina") screens should be faster than the $1100 remaining non-Retina model, and they should be usable longer. Plus the Retina screens are quite nice--I like how smooth the text is compared to a non-Retina screen.

Although to be fair, the older non-Retina 13" model at $1100 is cheaper, and can IIRC have the memory upgraded by the user. For some the lower price might be a huge selling point, and the performance might be adequate for some users.

I remembered the MacBook question came up not too long ago in another thread here. It might be worth looking through it.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/techn...op-suggestions-calling-all-macbook-users.html

14. klix

I used to work in the Apple Store, I would suggest a MacBook but the connectivity is pretty poor due to the single port... So I would look at a MacBook Air 13" or a MacBook Pro 13" if you can afford it. Even the basic 2.7GHz model would work for your needs, you can get an external SuperDrive (optical drive) if you really need it, or if there is a PC or Mac in the house with a drive you can use that remotely using a simple program you install.

15. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Is there a huge difference between the 128GB and 256GB? I don't even really know what that means. Does the 128 run out of storage really fast?

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2015 at 06:42 PM ----------

thank you for the link!! that helps a lot

16. Void Puppy

I know I'm probably not helping here but I cry a bit inside when I see a $1500+ computer with only 256gb of storage space

17. gaynerd64

I would recommend ordering the non-retina MacBook Pro online and configuring it with flash storage. I use that model for school and while it isn't anything fancy it does have a CD drive and all of the standard ports.

18. charlatan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I cry a lot inside when I see a $1500+ computer being used like a netbook.

19. Mitchell

Hello,

I have read all posts in this thread and I do have my input.

I got a new 15" Retina MacBook Pro in March.

They retail at the apple store for $2000, although Best Buy has them for $1800 - NEW.

The specs are good on this model, being 16GB of RAM and a Quad Core i7 with HT (hyper threading).

The downside is that it has 256GB SSD (solid state drive) in it. You can pay and order from apple directly for a larger one if needed. Although the drive is much faster than the ones on PC's that other family members with SSD's use.

As far as disk space, I store large files on external USB 3.0 drives.

At my desk, I have my MacBook Pro on the surface, and I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse (apple ones). I have a USB 3.0 powered hub, which connects me to all my external devices.

As far as an optical drive, on Amazon for like $20 I was able to get a Samsung USB DVD RW drive. It works amazingly, no problems.

I do a lot of work at my desk, and I have a wonderful setup. I also own my own business, doing graphics and web design. I have a dedicated home office, with all different computer things, that all plug into my MacBook Pro. Examples include some bluetooth bose speakers and a voIP telephone I use for work. I can get into details if someone requests.

Now, I also use the same computer for personal and school. I'm able to unplug that one USB cable to the USB hub, and take my MacBook along with me. I really recommend getting a sleeve. I got one on Amazon, an Amazon Basics, for about $10.

For school, for about $15, I was able to get a 32GB flash drive.

My office setup is amazing, and it took me a few years to be able to buy everything I wanted to have in here, but I use it for both personal, school, and work. Some call me crazy for having a small office size multifunction laser printer / copier, but I enjoy it.

Take care of the MacBook well. I use mine for so much, yet I have 156GB free (Over 50% of the drive is free). All larger files, such as things for work, are all stored on some USB 3.0 hard drives.

As far as which Mac is right for you - only you know. What will you do with it?

I myself use Parallels Desktop to run Windows 7 in a virtual machine for a few things for school, being that I'm a computer science major.

If you are using something for very simple things, Apple how has a new MacBook lineup, just called the "MacBook". If you're just word processing, there is also the MacBook Air.

Let's think of it this way -

Very simple use such as chatting, word processing, watching movies and listening to music , "simple computing" - You can settle with the MacBook Air

Some things a bit more advanced, possibly editing a few graphics, using some music editing software, some simple software development, or more so "casual computing", the MacBook will work great.

If you're going to be doing heavy graphic editing, require virtual machines, playing games that are graphics intensive (Say World of Warcraft, or Second Life), or run applications which need a lot of resources (RAM and CPU for example), a Pro might better be your choice.

For the Pro, for more simpler tasks, the 13" is good. If you're a true power user, I'd recommend the 15". I myself have the 15" as I run a VM with Windows and I need to allocate enough resources for it to run properly.

As far as paying -

Apple DOES offer lines of credit. They have 24 month financing if I recall correctly.

Best Buy DOES sell them a bit cheaper than Apple, I've bought three MacBook's there for that reason. Additionally, if you have a Best Buy card, you're able to get 18 months interest free financing. This is what I am currently doing, being that I can pay $100-$150 a month, and have it paid off in approximately one year.

Many schools have ways to get discounts. Possibly contacting your school book store or what not, if you are a college or university student, might help.

These are great machines, and I have loved mine.

As far as the other lineup...

The MacPro, is very high end. I'd love one, but I couldn't afford it nor do I need one. I personally prefer laptop computers so I can take them with me.

The Mac Mini is an interesting choice, although the iMac is more appealing to me. It all depends on the specs you need.

Think of what you need, and base what you're going to buy off of that. Additionally, if you think you need a certain thing, keep in mind you're going to want to keep it for a while, so I recommend buying slightly more than you think you'll need or use.

About refurbished, such as Macofalltrades:

I myself do not trust refurbished computers, especially at these prices. I've bought PC's refurbished, although I have spent approximately $100 to $200 tops on them. I wouldn't spend a great deal of money on a refurbished computer, like a Mac, as you don't know the complete history behind who had it before you.

Feel free to contact me if I could help.