1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help from someone who knows about Wordpress, Cpanel, and backups

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by warthog, Jul 6, 2015.

1. warthog

Hi guys,

I know it's a longshot but here goes nothing.

So a few years back I had a blog hosted on a stupid host, alongside a website. the software for WP was installed via something called fantastico deluxe, which is apparently some software installation tool for cPanel. one day the host decided they don't like fantastico, and they just deleted my blog from existence, which is something i didn't notice until i decided to revisit my blog. so, I found on my host a folder called fantastico backup and in it there was a zip folder of my blog, containing the public_html of my blog with all subcontent... well, at least I hope.

Now the question is, how the heck can I use this to put my blog back online? it doesn't work on WP itself as it seems WP backup files are another format. I just want to put it back online so I can restart writing.

Anyone know about this stuff?

FYI not really all that tech savvy, but I dabble.

Thanks

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not sure, but is your database still intact?

3. warthog

ummmm ..... I suppose so.. yes ?

4. Dana44

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I always ran the development from my computer and ftp the stuff over to the server. There you can use cpanel and wordpress to put your site up under your control. If it was on a database make sure that you have the backup of all of the text. Then if the site goes down, you can restore it. So getting your backups, start building a directory with the text and images that you recover. I always used PHP to run a site application and tested it on my own system using the wamp stack before deploying it.

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I must agree with Dana. Best to develop offline, test on your own private machine, and FTP it in. The CPanel backups are good to download regularly, though, as they will have your entire space backed up, such as any email accounts they have on the host and your site, so if something happens to the host, you can upload the backup to a new hosting provider that also uses CPanel. I actually had to do this several years ago for my parents' company hosting. We started with a hosting provider out of Washington. Had a great deal. For the first 6 months, everything went great. Then we started having little issues here and there with the server crashing. Then, everything went down, and their number was reporting as disconnected. I was actually out of town on a temporary job, and used the hotel's internet to find a new hosting provider (who we still use for email, we have a seperate provider for the website, it's a custom hosted thing for that industry), walked my parents thru setting up the account, got the login details, remoted in to my home machine, recreated the email accounts, and uploaded the backup. Luckily, we used a 3rd party DNS provider, so we didn't loose the domain name. After all this was done, we only lost about 3 days of email, and the website was also down for the same timeframe. We had this same type of problem when we were initially going to migrate all our web services to the company that hosts our website now, actually migrated everything, and their email services kept crashing because it didn't properly support IMAP, and they were limiting the inbox sizes too much for us (250MB is nothing for an inbox these days, we've got some that with all the archives in them were at 2GB at the time). Went back to the DNS provider, changed the MX records back, and our email was back up. Added a new record creating a subdomain at the hosting provider redirecting all incoming emails on that subdomain to the main domain, and at the web hosting provider, added a filter that all incoming mail for unspecified accounts redirects to the subdomain. We only have 2 machines checking the mail accounts on the web hosting provider, because their software directly places the mail in the inboxes. Those two machines move everything to the IMAP folders on the email host. We still keep the web site somewhat up to date on the old host, so if we need to, we can quickly change the DNS entry, and have it up.

6. warthog

Thanks really for your advice. i'll just translate all you said very slowly and figure it out

*quietly weeps*