1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vancouver Teen Gets Shit Wrecked, As Ethically Required

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pret Allez, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From Slashdot:

A 17-year-old from the Vancouver area in Canada has been sentenced to 16 months in youth custody and 8 months under supervision in the community after pleading guilty to 23 charges including criminal harassment, public mischief, extortion and uttering threats. The teenager was responsible for a number of swatting calls across the United States and Canada — mostly of female gamers. The judge told him, "It appears that when real life became too hard you retreated into the online world and became increasingly socially isolated. While you may think you enjoyed greater success in the online world, that success was an illusion. You were left with severely limited social skills and a significant educational deficit."

2. Lazuri

Now compare that with the 17-year old member of Lizard Squad who got convicted of like 50k separate charges of hacking related crimes along with SWAT calls AND a bomb threat to a plane and he basically got a slap on the wrist.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you help me understand, sis? Are you saying this person is getting a slap on the wrist, or are you saying the Lizard Squad person got a slap on the wrist?

~ Adrienne

4. Lazuri

The Lizard Squad dude. 50k counts of computer terrorism, harassment including SWAT calls and a bomb threat that forced a plan to land and what does he get? Two years suspended service and internet activity surveillance. Basically, they're just checking what he does on the internet and if he doesn't do anything in the next two years, he's literally let off scot free. Fuck that.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that's messaged up. I can't really comment very well on where the criminal justice system is at in the US and Canada. But what I do feel very strongly about is that it's good to see sometimes gender oppression is having consequences for the perpetrators. I'm getting tired of hearing activists say we just need to "educate" people and have, healing "transformative justice" (whatever the hell that means) as if that's going to make everything better.