1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any games with trans* characters, stated or implied?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BluhImCourtney, Jul 12, 2015.

1. BluhImCourtney

So um. Yeah... I was just playing Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies... it left a bad taste in my mouth. It had a perfect opportunity to portray a trans character in a positive light to make up for that chef in the third game... they were just a little creepy. ._.

But they went ahead and did THAT... not specifying to avoid spoilers for anyone who hasn't played it.

At least they were "edgy" enough to make them a lesbian. ._.

Anyways, I find it really hard to find games that actually have trans characters, and even then portray them in a positive light. I mean, there was Poison... eh. And Naoto in Persona 4... they handled that poorly... along with the romanceable guy's sexuality. And birdo... again, pretty poorly.

I kinda just want to get rid of this bad taste in my mouth from so many bad portrayals, so if anyone knows any games that actually, you know... don't suck in the way it shows trans characters, then... yeah? ._.

2. ApexxShadow

I haven't played it personally, but I think 'Dragon Age: Inquisition,' has a few trans* characters, and Dragon Age II. Hopefully this helped :slight_smile:

3. BluhImCourtney

I'll have to check them out.

Never really looked much into Dragon Age games... might just start doing that, since I turned 17 a couple months ago anyways. ._.

4. Lazuri

Dragon Age: Inquisition does have FtM transgender character who is actually portrayed very well.

5. Simple Thoughts

What's so poor about the way Birdo is portrayed?

6. BluhImCourtney

"He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth."

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2015 at 10:37 PM ----------

Also, I think there was one other manual that said, "birdo is yoshi's girlfriend... or is it boyfriend!?"

7. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Dragon Age Inquisition is your best bet for a positive trans character, although it's a trans guy. But It's still a step in the right direction as his pronouns are respected and you get berated if you say anything ignorant to him.

I believe Catherine also has a trans woman, although some things could be a bit offensive with how the game handled it, It's not nearly as bad as Birdo though.

8. Simple Thoughts

you mean the manuals from Super Mario 2?

Like the ones that were like from the 80's?

That seems rather progessive for the time period.

In the modern games they don't make any sorta big deal outta birdo she just rides around with Yoshi and they're pretty chill.

9. BluhImCourtney

Poison was in Final Fight in 1989. Pretty sure they still referred to her as a she in the manuals and such.

Also, I saw Catherine... I kinda have a love/hate relationship with the way they presented Erica. I loved how just... awesome she was, and how the game made it a point that she hated it when characters we referred to male things about her or something; it's mostly that the character herself was handled well, but the people surrounding her represented what people shouldn't do, if you know what I mean.

But I hate how they made her have dreams that guys were having. ._. That was kinda dumb.

And the trans guy in DAI sounds cool, doesn't matter to me if it's trans male or female, I just want something positive to wash down what PW did. ._.

10. Lazuri

Yeah, but Poison was trans for the dumbest goddamn reason. Apparently it was unacceptable to have a woman being punched in a game, so they just said "well, she has a dick" and then apparently it's fine. These days, her ambiguous sex is handled like a running gag, like characters saying things like "I can't believe you're a woman" when they defeat her in Street Fighter IV.

On the list of trans characters handled poorly, she is way, way up there.

Sometimes, the way other people treat a trans character is what makes it well handled. One of the better representations of transwomen I've seen was actually in Always Sunny in Philadelphia, where one of the main cast is being very discriminatory towards a transwoman and the rest of the cast--both main and supporting--are essentially berating and making fun of him for it.

11. BluhImCourtney

That is true. But hey, at least it's better than Birdette. ._.

And yeah, that's what I meant, about they way they're treated being a part of being well handled. I think. I don't know, I'm half-asleep. ._.

12. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure about this, but i think Leo of Tekken is. The game give her female pronouns but she is placed under the male category of Tekken Art Book. I am confused, but I love playing her!

13. Lazuri

That's most likely an error. It's not hinted anywhere else.

14. Knave

Leo was left ambiguous in Tekken 6 they could use both male and female customization items.

There is a theory floating around that Quiet in Metal Gear Solid 5 could actually be trans* but as of right now it's only a fan theory.

15. RainDreamer

Leo apparently is a gender neutral character at first, because Namco wants a character that players will love "regardless of gender", but recently confirmed as female, named Eleonor.

16. Knave

I don't know why I only remembered this now but the one game that I'm disappointed doesn't have an option for trans* characters is the Sims. I write huge detailed back stories for characters and when I tried making an FtM teen sim it was basically impossible since all the clothes for female sims are uber feminine so doing someone transitioning was impossible. I ended up having to re-write the entire backstory and ended up doing an adult sim who had already transitioned. My friend who the character was supposed to be based on refuses to play the sims now.

Not exactly on topic but this seems the best place for this.

17. Cedar

If you get more into the Dragon Age series, you might want to consider getting the comic books. There's a trans woman in the comics that was inspired by an employee of Bioware. She's also lightly mentioned in the most recent game Dragon Age: Inquisition.

18. Ryu

Ryu

in the japanese version for a paper mario game there's a trans* character, Vivian, and of course Birdo.

19. Jellal

The magypsies in Mother 3 ... possibly? To me they look like drag queens, or magical transvestites, but they certainly are doing something interesting gender-wise. I recall someone in the game saying they're neither men nor women. Outside of the binary in other words.

20. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd argue Naoto was handled a hell of a lot better than Birdo.

Some people has made claims that Makoto from Enchanted arms is mtf, but I call balderdash on that; he's just a gay caricature.