1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dragon age games. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bandnerd2017, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Bandnerd2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One of my favorite games is Dragon age: origins. It has great characters, amazing environments, and a long fully fleshed out story. But I really don't like Dragon age: II or Inqusition. It seems to me that DA:2 took away a lot of the things that made the first game great. (Half of the levels are reused at least twice.) the only good thing I saw is that the story was good, as was the character development, but the battle system was boring and got old quick. And as I've already said the environments were so bland and unoriginal that it took away from a lot of the game for me. DA:I was a little bit better, the world was large and each one was very unique with it's own quests and backstory. But sometimes I felt that the levels were to large and restricted. More often than not I had to spend an extra 30 minutes or more trying to get around a sheer cliff face or hill. It really takes away from the game when your quest is just on the other side of a steep hill, but you have to go all the way around the hill just to get up. The battle system isn't any different from two and I nearly dozed off when I was fighting most of the time. The story and the characters were amazing though. Each character had their own backstory and developed throughout the story. Even one of the more zany characters still shows that she can be serious, and questions her actions sometimes. DA:I I also felt introduced a good bit of humor to the series, it used to be that you could only get real comedy from banter between characters while on your adventures. And if you had characters in your party that don't have any chemistry, then get ready for a long drawn out game. But with DA:I the story missions were very interesting and humorous at times. Making it to where I enjoyed the story more than the exploration. Unlike in DA:O where I found exploring to be the most interesting part. Sorry for the long frickin article!! Please post what you think about the series and where it's heading. Or maybe if you haven't heard of it this post will make you give it a try!!!

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't really like Origins but I haven't played much. Perhaps the UI scared me a little, as it is a bit different than the usual, but I need to give it another try.

3. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The only one I've tried is Dragon Age: Origins because I got it on a Steam sale. I gave up after about 30-45 minutes.

I don't like the UI, which was also a complaint in Baldur's Gate and Shadowrun titles. The story is okay, but I don't like the style of gameplay in the first place.

Divinity: Original Sin nailed RPGs with turn-based, tactical, environmental combat, witty dialogue, and open-ended character creation. I think I'll just wait until Larian releases something else.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I liked the story of Dragon Age: Origins. The problem was the UI which was overly complicated, thankfully with the help of some mods it made the game more enjoyable (on pc)

Dragon Age 2 was an epic fail but I still played through it.

Dragon age Inquisition is nice with a decent story line and large world to explore. :slight_smile: I think Bioware learned their lesson with DA2 and Mass Effect 3.

#4 justin88, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  5. Cedar

I played the crap out of DA:O and made more characters than I care to remember. I still have my own OC universe though. I tend to favour the elves so I was pretty disappointed when you could only play as a human in DA2. I think they learned their lesson from DA2 and made DA:I a better game because of it. I have yet to really get through DA:I as of yet since I keep trying to explore as much as possible in each of the zones and I was pretty happy when we could play other races again. I loved being able to edit Hawke in DA:I. I like all the subtle references to characters from the comics and previous games. There might be things wrong with the game but I like it. The war table is a pain though, everything starts taking too long(three hours, are you kidding me?!)...

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm in total agreement with you, the war table is such a downer. It could of been implemented better IMO

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, nay. I've tried the first two Dragon Age games, and I was bored out of my skull. However, my dad is obsessed with Dragon Age games. Sometimes I tweak some "advanced" options, so his CPU controlled characters act less stupid. I've overheard at least 20 playthroughs of DA II; some of the game dialogue is funny.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Dragon Age: Origins is my all time FAVORITE game ever. Excellent characters, gameplay, story, everything. I've beaten it three times as different origins and still want to experience them all.

Those that didn't like the gameplay, are you playing it on PC? Because the PC version is vastly inferior to the console versions in my opinion. I only use the PC version to take screenshots since It's unbearable to play compared to other versions of the game.

I hated Dragon Age 2. The combat was probably the most fun for me, but the general gameplay and story was lacking. Plus, I hated how the repeated the same stages over and over. Romance was even lacking compared to other games.

I do love Inquisition but not as much as Origins. I loved the new characters and I had so much fun with this game but the first will always be my favorite.

9. RainDreamer

I like DA:I, haven't able to try origin, but since I have to play DA2 to have a custom world state for DA:I that I like, I am not very keen on it.

10. Lazuri

The story and world in all three are excellent but the technical side and gameplay is lacking in all three.

Origins was the worst, gameplay wise. It was such a fucking drag to play through, but the story made me truck on.

The gameplay has been steadily improving since, but they're still quite behind on technical competence, like BioWare always are.

---------- Post added 28th Jul 2015 at 08:18 PM ----------

That's not what it is about, it's just boring and extremely lackluster. There's virtually no effort put into the animations and presentation of the combat and it basically looks like a bunch of stiff automatons wailing on each other until one falls down. This strikes me as odd since Knights of the Old Republic did this just fine. It's not so bothersome at first, but it gets really old really fast.

But the thing that really kills it is how long combat takes. This wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't think you get bored if you don't get to kill anything every 30 second and throws bunches of enemies at you at virtually every corner and these encounters all take a minimum of one minute and on average take several minutes. This is why the game is so fucking long; it takes like 40 hours to finish it and it's basically all due to the drawn out, frequent, unchallenging and repetitive combat The game is literally 80% filler. It annoys me that the games puts so much focus on what is by fucking far the absolutely worst part of the game when the world itself along with the story and characters is what really makes it a great game and ESPECIALLY since KotOR didn't have the same flaws.

#10 Lazuri, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  11. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I enjoyed DA:O a lot. I'm not going to rant about the technical side, since I know little about that kind of thing. In terms of the story, I very much so enjoyed it. I know it's not for everyone, but looking at it from a writing perspective, it's quite well done. The world is not advanced as the one in TES, however it works with what it's got. DA:O had little filler which was great, considering the next two games would implore more "filling" side-quests to push through their main plotline.

DA:O could be considered a standard fantasy game, and truth be told that's probably right. However personally I found it to be an enjoyable play, and it's nice to have control over your own protagonist with more than race/class (I'm looking at you Diablo.) The story was long, and felt immersive, it can be a bit slow to get going (depending on the Origin that you choose) though after the mission at Ostagar (where I consider the real game to get started) it works up fast.

The only main mission I disliked was the Fade mission in "Broken Circle" though that was more or less because it was confusing to figure out the massive puzzle.

I wouldn't recommend anyone starting at 2 or Inquisition, because you're not going to get a good idea of what the game is supposed to be about. Dragon Age 2 had funny dialogue and nice companions, but was otherwise lacking. The only reason one should play 2 before advancing to Inquisition is to learn about Red Lyrium. Otherwise the conflict with the Mages and Templars can be seen in Origins.

Inquisition was a pile of nope for me. They sacrificed everything I loved about Origins.

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Well, you do have a point there. I guess I didn't mind it because I'm used to JRPG's and have played sooooo many RPG's that have such poor combat systems in comparison. Of course, Inquisition isn't much better. I actually find the combat in that game far worse, despite the fact I like the game.

But of course every game is going to be flawed to some extent, so it really just depends on your taste and what you're willing to overlook. I personally enjoyed the gameplay a lot (even more so than both It's sequels) but I can get why others wouldn't. But the stories and characters do make the whole worth it IMO

13. Lazuri

I disagree, Inquisition had the best combat, largely because it was presented much better and it was more of a hand on approach than the other two. It was still full of fillers with the power mechanic though. Actually, that's the biggest flaw with the entire series; they're all artificially lengthened through various fillers.

14. Ashley2103

Origins is the best and I like Inquisition as well. Haven't tried the other Dragon Age games though. And honestly, I don't think I'll try Dragon Age 2 as it sounds like it was rushed out.

Corypheus looks like a retarded antagonist though imo. They could've done better than that.

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Corypheus was actually an antagonist in Dragon Age 2 too : P But only through DLC

16. Lazuri

He was an extremely underwhelming antagonist, though. He gets the drop on you early on at Haven mostly because you didn't even know he existed. After that you basically spend the rest of the game bitch slapping him and repeatedly putting him in his place. At no point does he feel dangerous in the least.

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I actually agree. I thought he was super disappointing and a huge pushover (and I'm usually not very good at games so that says a lot).

18. Thedistra

I really enjoy the first two. I know everyone hates on DA2 because of the re-used zones, but I much prefer that over the mmo styled questing that is Inquisition. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the main quest line in DA:I, but the rest was lacking the feel the other games gave me. Like I didn't give a damn about them and felt no need to even do all of them. I don't know I just actually felt like I was making difference in the game world when completing quests in the first two, while in DAI I felt as if I was merely grinding exp. Which I never had to go out of my way to do in the others.

I really enjoyed the combat as a mage in DA2 compared to DA:O, it was more lively feeling. The other classes I enjoyed more in DA:O. I really liked using a bow in DA:I. So some pluses for each one doing something better in my eyes than the others.

I may enjoy Inquisition more when I can play it on a computer rather than a console, although that won't change the faults I had with it, expect maybe improving combat. (gotta say my followers were as dumb as a box rocks when fighting dragons, always standing in crap till they died, was able to set up a tactic on origins so that they would move out of aoe effects)