1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

case or no case for an iphone 5s?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Akira12, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so ive had my 5s in a case for awhile now and ive switched to otterbox since everyone says there amazing....hate it! constantly getting dirt in between the screen protector and the phone screen and constantly messing up words because of the air pocket between them. a friend of mine told me to go without a case since the phones meant to be enjoyed and its a tough little bastard lol. so wanted to ask this awesome community...should I go without a case for my iPhone 5s or use a simple plastic case or a defender case which is a rubber backing inside a hard plastic back? also on your opinions can u explain why? im so tempted to use no case but really think once its dropped without a case its game over.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's way better to have a case than to not. I have had two otter boxes on my 5, I didn't like the first one much but this new one is really easy to use, and I doesn't have any of the air pockets the other case did. There's lots of different options with otterboxes, and cases in general, so I think you're bound to find one you like.
    I, personally, am extremely klutzy and I have dropped my phone so many times I can't count. IMO it's to risky to not case it.

3. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yea true but the last durable caes I had broke couple days ago and don't wanna use the otterbox..think itll be okay without a case for a bit?

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's gonna be fine as long as you don't drop it. lol my Samsung Galaxy was without a case for nearly 6 months and it looked brand new.

5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I don't know how people manage to break phone cases, unless it was an extremely vulnerable case. But I would always have a case on my phone; I would not want to take the risk of the screen cracking if dropped on a hard surface. If you don't like otterbox, maybe try lifeproof cases? I've had a couple friends who have had lifeproof cases and said good stuff about it. It's a bit more expensive though. I'm sure it would be cheaper on amazon or ebay.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-5s/iphone-5s-case/?color=Dark+Teal+/+Teal

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My phone (htc) has never needed a case, as it's a really tough little shit. I've dropped it down a staircase, accidentally stepped on it in winterboots, and I somehow always manage to spill boiling water on it while making tea. This thing will not die.

That said, iphones are not known for their structural integrity. And if you paid big bucks for a phone like that, it's a protective case is a smart investment. But hey, it's at your discretion.

7. pastadudde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really would recommend a case. particularly one with a thick rubberized rim / edge that prevents the phone screen from directly touching any surface or a case with a magnetic flap that you can cover your screen with when you are not using your phone. I have both of these type of cases and interchange them once in a while and I have dropped my phone quite a bit (from varying heights and on different surfaces) and have not gotten a single scratch.

My sister, on the other hand, only has a screen protector... first time she dropped it the screen cracked all over and she had to pay a bomb to fix it :tears:

8. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have lived on a thick glass screen protector with a thin plastic case, and it's worked for me. Currently, both have been chopped off but my phone underneath has had no problems. The little bit I had served me pretty well. But if you're prone to dropping it, I highly recommend you don't leave your phone completely naked

9. The Wallflower

Better safe than sorry. I always regret not buying a case.

10. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I hate otterboxes! I have a tempered glass screen protector on mine, so if I drop it, the screen will not crack, only the protector. And, I also have a bumper, not a full case. It's not all bulky and doesn't get as gross and dirty.

11. thepandaboss

Honestly, I'd stick with a case. If you can, I highly recommend the Lifeproof cases. Have yet to see any dirt in mine and it's kept my phone from getting dinged up. Phones are expensive. You want to protect your investment.

12. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Suppose it depends on how prone you are to damaging it. I have a friend who has dropped his phone at least 50 times (no exaggeration). He needs a protective case. I have an iPhone 5S and I choose not to use a case for aesthetic reasons and also because I prefer the phone to be as light as possible in my pocket. Then again, despite having it for almost two years, it has almost no scratches or marks, and it's only been dropped once or twice...on carpet. :wink:

13. YunoGasai

if something bad can happen it probably will without the right precautions. i never put my iPhone 4s in my shirt front pocket because i thought it would fall out and break the first day i did it guess what happened (SMASH) .the one more relevant to you i use is that my little brother got a 5s for his birthday a couple of weeks ago, he preferd the feel of the bare phone without the case so he took it off and on the same day(first day he had it) he smashed it and had to pay £45 for a new screen.
    just put on some sort of case, iPhones are made out of sugar glass so the littlest drop it'll smash.
    for me i just use rubbery type cases but now I'm using a hard plastic one with a leather back.

14. kem

kem

get a case that isn't too thick, and a screen protector to go with it. I bought a lovely wooden case for my 5C, but it turned out to be so thick that the phone was harder to hold and easier to drop...

15. Aviator182

I would definitely go with a case. Personally I like the LifeProof water proof case. It protects the phone from accidental drops, water proof for up to an hour and they even come with a warranty. The nice thing is since it's water proof there is no dust between the case and phone like with Otterbox cases.

16. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So once I get a job or money I may get the life proof case since it seems pretty popular choice and sounds pretty good! Thanks all for the wonderful suggestions.