1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fav RPGs?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nekobi, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    (Everyone who plays them)
    What are your favourite (J)RPGs? Can you reccomend any?

At the moment I'm really excited for Persona 5 and Tales of Zestiria.

2. Ashley2103

Fallout 3
    Oblivion
    Morrowind
    Dragon Age : Origins
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

3. Nikky DoUrden

You forgot

Fallout 1, 2
    Baldurs Gate
    Planescape:Torment
    Witcher triology

:icon_wink

4. Lazuri

I've never been a fan of JRPGs, but I like western styled RPGS and out of those, I most commonly recommend Dragon's Dogma. It's the one RPG I've played that actually felt like an adventure.

5. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Looked it up> saw a dude fighting a giant dragon chicken> was like: "definetely playing!"

I agree, all the elder scrolls and fallout games are brilliant. Bethesda's definetely good with rpgs.

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kingdoms of Amalur was really colorful and well done. I enjoy Dragon's Dogma as well.

7. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

The original Final Fantasy. I still have my NES copy. (Oh, and LOZ, can't forget that one...Also, does Pokémon count as a JRPG? I think it should.)

8. lettuce

Okay, I'm just gonna go with JRPGs since it's probably a lot better that I don't go into WRPGs. Oh, and one game per franchise!

Chrono Cross
    Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    Breath of Fire 2
    Ni No Kuni

I kind of want to say Xenoblade but I think most of my enjoyment came from watching the characters act out really emotional scenes in nothing but their swimwear and a pair of sunglasses.

I really need to play some of the Persona games and Earthbound when I get the chance. I'm sure I'll really like them, but I never got around to playing them.
    Of course Kingdoms of Amalur was colorful! It had Grant Kirkhope.

Grant. Kirk. Hope.
    I think Pokémon counts, but I'm not sure if Zelda does. The games might be RPGs but they don't follow the traditional JRPG formula.

9. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    Kingdom Hearts is a fantastic rpg series. :slight_smile:

Twewy is another great one, it 'breaks the rules' of a traditional rpg but it's so much fun

As mentioned by lettuce, Chrono Cross is fantastic.

Those are the ones on the top of my head.

Edit: OH, two more.

Fire Emblem... the most recent one, Awakening, is excellent.

And Disgaea! So much fun, especially when you grind out your characters and watch them do crazy damage.

Okay, the last two I listed are actually TRPGs, but they are amazing. :slight_smile:

#9 Ardi, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  10. Lazuri

It really is a terrific game. Instead of going on about why it's so great, I'll be lazy and paste one of the few tumblr posts I ever made during the extremely brief period I was on there.

I recently started playing Dragon’s Dogma again, playing from scratch with a character class I have never tried before and I’m starting to feel a little of that which I felt the very first time I played it.

I don’t know how many people who will read this actually played Dragon’s Dogma, but I know not enough of you will have. Sure, the game sold fairly well, especially for a first installment, but it’s not appreciated nearly as much as it deserves.
    Every RPG I’ve ever played has always felt so… Mechanic. There was always a science behind it like putting points into the right stat or how a monster was a higher level than I was. Dragon’s Dogma was the first, and only, RPG I ever played that actually felt like an adventure.
    That sense of adventure made everything so… Real. The only game I ever played where my character really felt like me.
    The first time I played through this game was an amazing ride. I quickly learned that the game would not hold my hand and would definitely spawn enemies way beyond my league, but never tell me exactly how strong they were. I really had to scope out a monster in the distance first and think to myself it’s pretty big. Wonder if I can take it….

I remember staring down a path, intrigued by what I might find, but at the same time fearing what lied around the bend.

I remember fighting my first band of bandits outside Witchwood. Just simple bandits, I thought. But I quickly learned they were just like me and my merry band of pawns and we were hilariously outnumbered.

And I remember my first night, when I was down south. I thought how bad could it possibly get? It got dark fast and I realized that the lantern wasn’t just helping me, it was outright required. I remember not seeing anything outside the range of my lantern and how every bush blowing in the wind looked like a monster. I remember fighting a pack of wolves and how they would dart in and out of my lantern’s ring of light in their successful attempts to confuse me and tell myself I was surrounded by tens of wolves. And I remember the growling sound right before a Chimera leaped into the ring of light and mauled me.

But most of all, I remember how I ran. This is the first RPG I have ever played where I felt compelled to run. I ran from the big monster I thought I could take, I ran from the pack of Saurians I met at the end of the path my curiosity had compelled me to explore, I ran from the bandits that ambushed me outside Witchwood and I ran from the Chimera and through the night just hoping, wishing, begging I’d make it to the encampment.

I ran as fast as I could and when I got back to safety, every time I would think “some day I’ll be back and when I am, you’ll wish you’d have killed me the first time."

I always returned and I always made them wish I hadn’t.

Kingdoms of Amalur was really good initially, but it shows that it was originally intended to be an MMO in the way the game is presented along with its repetitive combat and unimaginative quests. It sure had some neat ideas, though--I'm particularly a fan of how fate worked and how your character's power came from having died and therefore being outside the tapestry of fate, becoming the only individual in existence that could decide their own fate and alter that of others.

#10 Lazuri, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  11. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    - Dragon Age: Origins
    - The Witcher 2 (Possibly the original game as well, but I have never actually played it myself, as I don't have a PC.)
    - Fallout: New Vegas
    - Mass Effect (The Original Game)

Mass Effect, and Origins were very much so plot-heavy, with little filler needed. (Though there is hours of extra gameplay if you are interested in seeking it out.) The games were a bit tiresome in some places, but were overall very well done.

The Witcher also had a very plot-heavy setting, however less so than the ones above. It had tons of sidequests that could be wrapped into the main plot, or secondary plots. The scenery was great, and the controls (Xbox 360) were insanely fluid and incredible. The only issue I have with it is that it can be very overwhelming at points. So much to do, and so much being tossed in your face.

New Vegas is the definition of a 'grey morality' game. Realistic and fatalistic, you can never truly get a 100% happy ending, and there are no set good or bad factions. Everyone has something to hide, but something to admire. It's at the core, about choosing the lesser of evils, and having to cope with failure. The only quirk that I didn't like was that most of the NPCs were fairly boring. With the exception of some of your companions, and a couple of major NPCs (Caesar, and Mr. House immediately spring to mind) most NPCs were one-sided, or made to be easily disposable. Still, in scale to the pros of the game, the cons are small indeed.

(Or should I say 'the khans'
    hehehe
    I'll show myself out)

12. Foz

Foz Guest

Nothing beats this for an RPG.

[​IMG]

13. KayJay

Diablo 2
    World of Warcraft (in the past)
    Demon's Souls

All I can think of right now.

14. Hatsune Miku

Skyrim
    Fire Emblem 7
    Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

15. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Godamnit Foz! You made me spit all over my screen!

Anyway yeah pokemon does count. RPG is it's actual official genre. Zelda counts too... I think. Well it's awesome whatever genre it is. I agree with pretty much eveythig here actually.

Man, I played Fire emblem awakening just recently. It's brilliant. Definetely can't wait for the next one.

Hehe How did I know you were gonna say kingdom hearts Ardi :3 But yeah, though it's plot is pretty... complicated (?) It's defintely a classic. Chrono cross is also a classic and Disgaea is just pure fun :3

Ni no kuni is a pretty cute (and suprisingly dark at the beginning) game.

And Lazuri, that's a pretty funny story. :3

Quetion, has anyone played any of the tales of series?

#15 Nekobi, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. Lazuri

I did play a large portion of Tales of Vesperia with a friend, but all it did was put fuel on the fire when it comes to my dislike for JRPGs. Kingdom Hearts is basically the only one I tolerate.

17. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh really that's a shame. I've never played Vesperia before but I had heard some bad comments about.

18. Lazuri

I've seen gameplay from other Tales games but they all suffer from the things I dislike about JRPGs.

19. guitar

Final Fantasy 4 and 6 are my two favorite games of all time. 7 and 10 are also great. Chrono Trigger is a masterpiece and comes highly recommended. Beyond that, Pokemon, breath of fire 2, Dragonsblade, Tales of Symphonia, and Xenoblade are all recommended.

20. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not a RPG. That's a FGM-148 Javelin. This is, though. A RPG-7V2, to be precise.

[​IMG]

#20 Jakob, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015