1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about buying an e-reader

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Chiroptera, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heya all,

I want to buy an e-reader, so i can read some scientific articles (PDF). I don't have much money to spend, so i'm looking for something cheap.

Can anyone help?

2. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Not sure how things are priced outside the U.S., and I only have a couple weeks with my Kindle Paperwhite (3rd generation), but I really like it so far. It was a lot cheaper than their higher model (the Kindle Voyage), nice and bright in low light conditions, the e-ink and resolution (300ppi) is really sharp (paper-like really). I haven't read any PDFs on it but apparently it can display them as-is (so you have to pinch/unpinch to zoom in or out) OR you can e-mail the pdf to your kindle's e-mail, write CONVERT in the subject line, and it will convert it to kindle file so that the font size can be adjusted but it loses the formatting it would otherwise have.

I don't know anything about any other e-readers. All I can say at this point is e-ink looks great, which was my only big worry. (Still a big paper book guy.)

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the answer. I forgot another doubt: For Kindle, for example, is there any restriction about licensed documents? For example: Can i read ANY document on it, or the device will check for some kind of license and will restrict some documents?

Again, my main use for it would be to read things on PDF.

4. thepandaboss

As long as you can save it and email it or save it on your computer with no problems reading it then there should be no problems at all.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks thepandaboss,

Any other tips?

6. Nikky DoUrden

I have ASUS memo and liked it. It runs on android though.

7. guitar

If tablets are your thing, you can probably find a Nrxus 7-2 for $100 used. It's been able to read any file I can throw at it so far. It's awesome for reading comics & documents on.

8. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd suggest you get any Android tablets. You can get the kindle app for books, loads of apps to read your PDF files. There's many cheap ones on the market at the moment :slight_smile:

9. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love my Kindle Paperwhite. I also recently bought a fairly cheap tablet (I think t was $97) and it'll display even very detailed PDFs (in particular Dungeons and Dragons manuals, which have colour and illustrations and sidebars and small text) without a problem.