1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG Apple

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mitchell, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Mitchell

Well...

My MacBook Pro went in for hinge replacement. Instead, they replaced the display and lid...

Now it's going back in for the hinges again... they admitted to me they didnt do the quality assurance.

I'm frustrated.

2. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    at least you got a new display and lid :slight_smile:

3. Greenapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah they stuffed me around 4 times once. They just could not figure out why it kept turning off at random and refusing to turn back on for hours. They replaced so many parts before they finally replaced the whole laptop.

I feel your pain when it comes to their customer care haha

4. Mitchell

Considering its a $2,000 laptop I would imagine they would do much better at servicing them.

If they mess it up again, it would be better if they just gave me a new one. It couldn't be a loss on their part - they must have billions in the bank.

5. YunoGasai

honestly its your fault for buying a macbook in the first place

LET THE FLAME WAR BEGIN!!!!!!

6. Mitchell

I have loved all my Apple computers... Starting with a Mac Mini when they first switched to Intel processors, to my white MacBook, now my third aluminum MacBook Pro Unibody...

7. Greenapple

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nooooooo

Apple is love, Apple is life :grin:

8. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Unfortunately, apple computers are way overpriced for what they are. Quality is also going down hill as well. :/

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Apple computers are great!

to install Linux on.

10. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha Linux is much better than iOS, not as limited either! :wink:

11. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All notebooks suck big time, Apple is no exception to that rule. It just happens that their notebooks are consistently better, but not by much, than the competition minus the MacBooks with the discrete graphics cards. The failure rates on those are insane.

Their other hardware is inferior to the offers by other OEMs. They're either overpriced and underpowered (mac pro), or they have a finite life expectancy of around three years (iMac).

#11 pinkpanther, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  12. Mitchell

I agree with the quality going down hill. They used to be top-notch quality... I got this new one in March, and within three months it already got a few scratches the size of a millimeter each on it... which is frustrating.

For the price, they should really build them at better quality.

Apple used to be known to me as Quality. I really wish it would be of better quality again. I love the technology and the aluminum unibody... other than that... meh.

13. Lazuri

Except a PC with the same performance costs about half as much, laptop or not. They might make solid computers, but I can not justify a purchase where you're paying hundreds of dollars because there is an apple on it, that's fucking ridiculous and also why I have a hard time respecting the technological expertise of anybody who was foolish enough to buy one.

I might sound insulting, but I really can't help it. The mere concept of pretty much all Apple hardware is pure idiocy to me.

14. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It very much depends on what you're buying and for what purpose. Their 13" notebooks, all of them, are surprisingly cheap for their quality and characteristics. I've yet to see a windows notebook that matches the overall quality of a macbook. Apple also produces hardware that is of around the same quality with every generation, which I cannot say for other OEMs.

Their iMacs can be also good as long as you understand that "All-In-One" means much higher chances of failure and shorter useful life. Last year they released the new retina 27" imac with an extremely competitive price. You're not buying an iMac, you're buying a screen with a free computer. It's the same story with the Mac Pro, it comes with dual GPUs that cost as much as an entire mac pro.

My initial thought still stands. Apple hardware is okay as long as you understand what you're getting yourself into. :slight_smile:

15. Mitchell

I like their software. It's all a package deal - a computer designed to run their software, built to their specs from what their engineers feel is best for a computing experience running their software.

I've yet to see a Windows-based laptop computer with the precision and beauty of the MacBook Pro, or something with that screen. I'm sure there are many out there, but I've just had so good luck with my Mac's... Until now.

I'm sure they will fix mine up for me, or replace it.

16. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Asus quality is hard to beat, their 4k laptop screen is beautiful as well but then again I'm more into desktops.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I don't want to be mean to Apple users about their stuff. Computers are meant to be used, and just because I want to use my computer in a certain way doesn't mean they suck for using theirs a different way. I'm the kind of girl who's a developer and wants control of internals. So I want to use Linux, since I get the control and I'm willing to pay the cost of time learning things that other people get for zero time investment.

Apple users just want their multimedia shit to just work, which is a very reasonable expectation.

Windows users like tiles. Clinkity clink.

18. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Apple is certainly not just about multimedia. I find OS X much more aesthetically pleasing than Windows, especially as someone who constantly deals with foreign languages and text--which simply looks better in OS X and OS X makes it much easier to input foreign characters without switching to a foreign language keyboard (try entering in Alt Codes or going through the character map in Windows).

For someone who uses almost exclusively: Word processor, spreadsheet creator, slideshow creator, photograph editor, photograph organizer, CD ripper, music player, and internet browser, OS X is perfect. I still have a PC for the purpose of gaming since we all know gaming on OS X is a joke. But I will probably always prefer OS X.

As for Apple hardware, in general I do find it to be well-built and sturdy (I've had my most recent laptop for three years now and it's in no sign of breaking down--can't say the same for PC laptops I've had in the past--and yes, I only buy "nice" ones). The only qualm I have are those godawful power cords that Apple makes. I'm on my third for this laptop...

19. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Define nice ones? Depends on the brand.

20. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What I mean is that I would never buy a "budget" laptop; I buy higher-end consumer laptops, but not business ones. I want full HD or higher, IPS screens, SSDs, Quad-core processors...that kind of thing. I'd imagine business laptops are built fairly well, but I've never owned one other than an old IBM ThinkPad I had when I was younger.