1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addicted to flight simulator 2002 but...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by PM92, Aug 17, 2015.

1. PM92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I came home to visit my parents and of course with a new laptop decided to get out some old games. First one I installed was flight simulator 2002. Love love love this game!

Could say I'm addicted but there is worse things I could be addicted to...

Only problem is that I can't keep the damn planes off the ground :bang:

Seems like you need to be a qualified pilot to get them up some times...

Anybody else play and have the same issue?? or should I definitely leave flying as one of those things I don't pursue as a career path :lol:

2. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use flight simulators all the time.

What exactly happens? Do you stall shortly after take-off?

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may need to set your flaps to 5 degrees before you start your takeoff roll, and if you're doing a short-field takeoff, set the parking brake and then go full throttle. Once your engines have reached maximum output, then release the brake and begin your takeoff roll.

4. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    An aviation discussion!

The above poster has good advice - flaps out, mind the length of your runway, mind your engine power settings. Also, make sure that you are at the appropriate speed before you rotate (pull the nose up, for less aviation-minded folks). I don't know how the simulator does aircraft weight, but that is important to consider as well. Without knowing the specific issue, I can't offer much more than that.

I don't fly, even simulators, but I'm otherwise a massive aviation geek. Also, I'm a pilot's kid - thus the geekery :slight_smile:

5. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just curious here, but what are you flying in FS? And you know, there's FS2004, FSX, and X-plane available if you'd like to use a program that's more up-to-date.

6. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's also Prepar3d, which is basically an updated version of FSX with DirectX 11. However, the EULA technically bars you from playing it as a game. You have to buy a license as a "student".

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that too. I'm still using FS9 because I don't have a desktop that I can add a shitton of RAM to so that I can run FSX without all the lag. My mom gave me FSX for Christmas one year and it nearly fried my laptop's video card.

8. Aviator182

Awesome an aviation post! I love plying all of the flight sims. That could be because I am actually a flight instructor. :slight_smile: FSX is probably my favorite. When we do sim based training for simulated instrument training time we actually use FSX or Xplane. These sims most of the time take up a small room. If you're having problems getting off of the ground make sure you're using light control inputs. The plane is going to fly when it wants to, never force it in to the air. Let enough airspeed build up. Not sure of the exact problem so it's kid of hard to pin point what's going on.

I know that you were most likely joking about the career path, but if you want to go after a career in aviation now is definitely the time. By 2022 the airlines are going to hire thousands of pilots. Go to your local small airport and see if they offer flying lessons. Normally they will do a introduction flight for around $100. If you like it start looking in to the larger fight schools. Talk with the students to see how they like it. Also ask what the instructor's pass rates are. After you earn your ratings most of the time you have to instruct to get to your hours in to go to an airline. Ask the school if they help out with hiring you back as an instructor and if they have contacts with the airlines. It's all about networking.

If you have any questions please post to my wall and I will get back to you. My ratings are commercial single/multi engine instrument land airplane. With a certified flight instructor rating.

9. Lazuri

Just a heads up, if you're fans of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002, don't update to Windows 10. It flags the game's DRM as malicious and locks the game. It's true that SafeDisc is basically malware, but still.

10. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to spend a lot of time with Flight Simulator as a kid. I have P3D installed but haven't used it too much -- I should get back into that. I'm traveling to Denver in a few weeks so maybe I'll simulate that flight in advance. :slight_smile:

11. Lazuri

Just don't get nervous when you actually get on the plane if you accidentally mess up the simulation.