1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caling All Apple (Mac) Users!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mitchell, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Mitchell

Hello...

How many of you use a Mac?

What Mac's have you had?

For me (In order):

1. Performa
    2. Mac Mini
    3. White MacBook
    4. MacBook Pro 13in Aluminum
    5. Another MacBook Pro 13 Aluminum
    6. MacBook Pro Retina 15inch

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was a heavy Mac user once. I've since migrated to Linux, although I sometimes think about migrating back to the Mac, since OS X seems to be the best OS for word processor support out there.

My first Mac was a Macintosh SE. All-in-one like an iMac, except the screen was CRT and only did black and white. But it was sharp, and worked well for doing real work. Back then, there was an opinion held in some circles that monochrome was better for text work. This Macintosh lasted nearly 10 years. Then it started developing problems. The Internet age was upon us, but I held off on the Internet, and just started a period of buying and using older Macs that could run the software I'd had on the SE. Indeed, that SE was the only computer I've ever had that wasn't used when I got it. It was also the last time I had a Macintosh that was reasonably current--when I bought used Macs, they were hugely out of of date thrift shop finds.

List of the Macs that followed:
    • Macintosh Classic. Used very short time to replace SE
    • Macintosh SE/30. This model name received comments in, IIRC The Macintosh Bible. The machine looked a lot like a SE, and the SE could be upgraded to the SE/30 by a logic board swap. The logic board was closer to the IIx. So, since it was a cross between the SE and the IIx, a possible name could be a combination of both names: SEX. No word if Apple considered this, but--if they did--clearly thought SE/30 was better name somehow. :lol:
    • Macintosh LC II. The first I had with a color monitor. (The above had monochrome monitors.) The LC line was cheap new, and it was the first color Macintosh for many. The LC II was also one of Apple's more blatant rip-off upgrades. It had a better processor, but the processor couldn't shine with the overall design. Yet Apple had a $$$$ logic board upgrade available for LC owners.
    • Macintosh IIsi. More power, and I finally could own a Macintosh II series. Too bad the II was long since passé...
    • Performa equivalent of the Macintosh LC III. First Mac I ran with with System 7. (Others were all run with System 6.)
    • Macintosh Quadra 650. The last Mac I used for daily production work. It came before I had Internet access at home. It lingered on as work machine in my early Linux years, and then finally a secondary support computer.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2015 at 03:06 PM ----------

Oh, yes, I've had others, although not really used much. For example, my most used Mac now is a Power Macintosh 7600, but the primary use has been to support my LaserWriter.

I also have had several PowerBooks. Early on, they were bought with an intention of being used a bit--they could run the same software the Quadra could, but they were portable. But, alas, they didn't seem to last long.

Then there was the Power Mac G4 that "came with OS" that I got for next to $0. I got it to play with OS X. But...the OS was not OS X, as I thought, but some PPC Linux distro. :tears:

#2 BMC77, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  3. Foz

Foz Guest

I've had 3

2010 17" i7 MacBook Pro
    2011 15" i7 MacBook Pro
    2013 27" i5 iMac

My main reason for getting another MPB not long after buying my last one was because I got it as new old stock in 2012 with £500 off and the 2nd gen i7 offered triple the power over the 1st gen i7-640M. So much so that the A8X is more powerful than it now!

4. Mitchell

Very interesting!

I do much more than word processing on my Mac...

I like it as it "just works" and is very reliable and stable and works wonderfully.

I do everything from school, work, play, and so on.

I do graphics and web design from home as well as computer programming. My Mac handles everything from work, school, play, and personal use... all on one machine.

My MacBook Pro is in for service, but I hope to get it back tomorrow or Friday

15" Retina MacBook Pro, Quad Core i7, 16GB RAM, Iris Pro Graphics. It'll be nice to have it back.

5. starfish

Oh lets see, I've had a few in rough order

Macintosh SE
    Macintosh Quadra 800
    PowerMacintosh 9600
    PowerBook 520
    Power G3 Wall Street
    PowerBook G4 1.5GHz
    Machintosh IIsi
    2007 MacBook Pro (A total piece of junk by the way, I replaced every part on it except the bottom case)
    2012 13" MacBook Pro (Still have, but I loaned it to a friend)
    Mid 2012 Mac Mini (Still have, use as HTPC)
    Mid 2013 Mac Pro with 2x 27" Thunderbolt displays.
    iPad Air 2
    iPhone 6

The Mac Pro was expensive, but it is a freaking sweet machine.

6. Mitchell

My MacBook Pro came home finally!

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only own the late 2014 MBP13. I use it as a glorified typewriter and Internet browser. The screen is excellent and the battery life is decent. Sometimes I write and debug code on it, but it's not something I really enjoy doing on a Mac. My main machines have always been regular PCs or workstations running some version of Linux. For anything else it's very difficult for me to justify the Apple price tag.

#7 pinkpanther, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  8. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I own 2012 MBP 13" i7
    This is my first mac and it worked flawless for 3 years now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. timo

o/ hi

I bought a white Macbook in 2008, amazing thing. It kind of fell apart in 2013, and because I almost graduated unniversity I didn't need a laptop anymore, so I switched to a Mac Mini.

Thinking about getting a Macbook again though, laptops are convenient.

I'm never moving back to a Windows pc.

10. TeamTeal

I've used Mac computers for 8 years now. My first was a white Macbook whose specs I can't remember. I had it for 5 years.
    I now have a 13" Macbook Pro from mid-2012. It was getting slow these days so I replaced the HDD for a SSD and replaced the initial 4go RAM with 8go and it's as good as new and faster than ever.

I am not an Apple fan girl necessarily but I must say I never felt as safe with PC computers. Both HP computers I owned in the past crashed after 2 or 3 years...

11. thepandaboss

I'm actually typing this on my first Mac (which I got just a little earlier this year). I'd been a Windows user (mostly because my laptops and computers were cheap) up until my last laptop's motherboard blew up. Then I got this guy.

It's a 13-inch Macbook Air. I have to say, it's actually one of the best laptops I've ever owned. Very easy to lug around, operating system is great. Memory could be bigger but I don't put a lot of stuff on here, just whatever I need for work and that's basically it.

12. wildestdreams

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did the same with mine, mine is a 15" Macbook Pro Mid-2012 and it was running painfully slow so over time i replaced the RAM and a couple of months ago I got a new SSD. It is lightening quick now. On it as we speak.

13. iamaboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I use a Late 2014 Mac Mini, although I wish I had got the Late 2012, so I could upgrade the RAM

14. Mitchell

I love my MacBook Pro. xD

I recently got a USB 3.0 1TB drive for larger files and my VM's and games.

15. Images and Words

I have/have had:
    iMac G4, 700MHz
    iMac G5, 1.25GHz (I think?)
    Power Mac G5 (Solo Core - Can't Remember Clock Speed)
    Mac Mini 2012

Love Macs for music production, but I won't stay with them after the Mac Mini goes, I love PC gaming too much now, and can't fork out for the Mac Pro.

16. Mitchell

I do gaming on my MacBook Pro just fine.

WoW & GW2 both have Mac versions...

EQ & EQ2 run great in a VM.

17. Lyze of kiel

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a 2008 imac, with a broken disk drive. I also have a apple 2c, wich worcks perfectly.
    Over the past 7 years ive had probrealms from ruined disks to code overlaying the login screen, but it hasent crashed yet. Also, is their a conversion kit to turn it into a laptop?

#17 Lyze of kiel, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  18. Jellal

I got a 2010 Macbook. I like it a lot, but it's kinda crusty too, at this point. May end up getting a more current model in the next 2 years.

19. Houdini

I have a macbook pro 2010, 13"
    but i have upgraded the RAM and the HDD to a 1 TB SSHD
    It's still doing ok, but I would prefer a new one

20. gamerguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I never really used Macs, but recently got an iMac G3. It's pretty interesting.