1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark, evil graphics with cel-shading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MsEmmzy, Aug 19, 2015.

1. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey all, I don't really post in this section that often, but I though you might be able to give me some advice.

I'm working on some 3d models for a game I'm making with a friend. We're making a 3d rpg style game and we're going for a fairly dark tone/story with vampires and the like.. I also really like the idea of cel-shading.

Do you guys think it's possible to get good looking graphics for this style of game with cel-shading? I know it's more used for happy, cartoonish games, but I really do like the style and was wondering what your thoughts were.

2. RainDreamer

Can't really tell without seeing a sample. If you choose your colours palette well, I think it can be great.

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course it's not a common thing, but hey. Originality!

That being said, I've never played it but from what I've seen "The Wolf Among Us" does a fine job with this. You can use it to your advantage, to put more distinct and contrasting dark areas. The cel-shading can even make someone look more intimidating if done properly.
    [​IMG]

4. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't actually have much of anything yet for a sample.. When I eventually do I can post a pic.

Thanks for that! I'll definitely have to take a look at that game.. It looks really good from that gif though.

5. Lazuri

As Kira showed, you clearly can. Also take a look at the game "Killer is Dead." They also use cel shading with very dark tones, although the game will occasionally go into the more colorful places too.

Cel shading in general is often a neat technique because it can manage to make games look really cool while keeping the system requirements low, which is why it was so popular doing the PS2 console era.

Here's a sample of Killer is Dead. It's a weird game to say the least, but it's also pretty cool.

[YOUTUBE]SRr-Im-Bxjg[/YOUTUBE]

6. RainDreamer

Killer is Dead is one weird game with a crazy, crazy plots that I have no idea what it is about. But darn, it is fun.
    Kind of turned off by the icky mini game with the girls though.

7. Lazuri

Yes, it is... Exceedingly Japanese.

8. Nekobi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love cell shaded style and I think it can fit the dark theme quite well if done properly.

Your project sounds quite interesting though. Will you show us some pics when you have a sample?

9. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    O.O That looks really good actually.

Yeah, I'll posts some samples eventually.. I don't have much in the way of progress yet as it's an idea we just got a few days ago. If you want a general idea, we're going for a mood/feel/setting similar to nosgoth, with graphics similar to the hellsing anime series (only 3d). It's going to be fairly open-world and we're considering making it an mmo.. We would have different race choices depending on the side you chose (the good side might have humans, idk what else, while the bad might have vampires, werewolves, etc.) We're also considering going the single player route and taking a similar approach to skyrim.

10. RainDreamer

Making an mmo sounds risky. Single player sounds better.

11. Lazuri

Absolutely go singleplayer. MMOs are much harder to develop and balance and maybe it's just me, but the technical limitations tend to make the gameplay very repetitive and boring.

Otherwise it sounds fun. I'd make a similar game myself based on the universe I created and is working on a webcomic for if I had the expertise to make games.

Just don't go in over your heads; developing games is a lot more difficult and complex than you think--especially with today's AAA standards.

12. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh trust me, I don't have some crazy expectations for this game, especially since I'm still sort of learning lol.

As much as I have to agree with you on the singleplayer part, I can't help but want to make it an mmo simply to try and capture the rivalry between factions. Think back to the early days of WoW when the Horde and Alliance literally hated each other. I get the feeling though that a singleplayer would be much easier to develop, provide better storyline, and just be overall better. :/

I'd be interested in seeing that webcomic you're working on, if that's okay. It sounds really interesting!

13. Lazuri

I'd love to, but it's still in early stages too. Me and my artist are working on concept art now to figure out the look of the characters and so on. Parts of it is written, but it's in script form rather than elaborate writing. Development on it is also at a standstill for the moment since my artist is busy moving since she's starting school in another city this fall.

But I'm sure you and I would get along just fine where it came to creative vision. Our comic is also a vampire thing in a very dark and gothic style. I'm also a fan of Hellsing, so I'd be lying if I said it's not at least a small inspiration.

14. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol: Alright.. I can't wait to see it when it's done a little more. It does sound like our artstyles are pretty similar.

15. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, update! I've been working on a basemesh all day.. Loaded it up in unity and applied the cel-shader. What do you guys think? I realise it's probably much too bright. I'm not sure about the bloom effect either.

Attached Files:

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To me, being able to create anything in a 3d modeling program other than a pile of boxes is very impressive. Being able to shade/animate it, even more so. Might be a little bright yes but I think you're doing a fine job so far.

17. RainDreamer

Looks great!

18. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well another update seeing as you guys are interested and I really have no where else to post this for now xD

Finally got the character fully rigged and ready to animate. I also started working on armour (although it looks more like clothes at this stage). \

We've also decided on the single player route and we're going to make it a lot more story-oriented. It will still be open world, but think more assassins creed style open world instead of skyrim style. Mainly, the quests have a bigger influence. And there isn't really equipabble armour, but we plan to have a few different outfits to choose from.

Attached Files:

19. Yosia

Looks awesome! I need to play this when you have made it, maybe I could be tester? ;3

20. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely! :grin: