1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on uploading music to smartphone

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi:

I got a lot of help here and from one other person I know on how to evaluate criteria to upgrade to a smartphone. Thanks for the help on that instance.

Now, I'd like to put music on the smartphone. The problem is that I have songs from here, there, and everywhere, which means anywhere from 1 to 6 songs for a series of different artists, I'd like to put onto my smartphone so I can listen to these songs with earphones, like if I'm riding on a bus or a train. My car audio system does not have that capability. The car is not really old, but too old for that and I will leave it alone, so I will just listen to my CDs in it.

How do I upload these various songs onto the smartphone as economically as possible? What sources would I go to?

I'm not that up on this kind of stuff and you've helped me before. Thanks.

2. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have an android phone, you could look up free music downloader in the Play Store and get songs that way pretty simply. I don't know much as far as uploading from other sources tho.

#2 angeluscrzy, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on the OS (Operating System) that you are on (be it iOS, Android or Windows Phone). All of those have official applications that will synchronize the music in your computer to your phone, or alternatively you could just plug your phone in your computer and manually transfer the music files to your phone. If you use cloud storage (like Dropbox or Google Drive) you could even store your music there and then access your account in the cloud via you phone and download the songs from there.

For further specification I'll need to know your OS.

Sidenote: file transferring in anything but the most gargantuan magnitudes is completely free. We'll be rioting the streets if someone tried to charge for such an essential and basic feature.

Sidenote (2): This is all assuming the you music you want to get in your phone is in digital format (.mp3, .mp4, .flac...). If you mean to take music from, say, your CDs and get that music into your phone, you'll have to rip your CD first (a process to extract the songs and get them in you computer) before you can transfer them.

#3 RawringSnake, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Great info. It's a Windows platform phone. It has a QWERTY keyboard, which I prefer using, that's why I chose it. I might have preferred an android, but it's a Windows. Thanks.

#4 Tightrope, Sep 10, 2015
  5. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No worries, I used to have a Windows Phone too until very recently. Loved everything about it, specially the UI design, but after I broke it I switched over to Android since I found a smartphone with better specs for significantly less than I would have had to pay for a WP with similar specs.

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, the easiest way to transfer the music would be to use the official windows phone companion app for your pc (you can download that here). It's a little clunky and bare-bones, but it gets the job done. Make sure to put all the songs you want to transfer in the "Music" folder.

Plug your phone to your PC via USB cable, and then open the Windows Phone app you just installed (if you followed the link above). Once the app recognizes your phone is plugged (may take a minute or two), it will show you two options from which it can import your media files from, select "Windows Libraries" (which are the standard folders in every Windows PC: Music, Pictures, Videos, etc.). Afterwards, it will pull all the music from your Music folder and show it to you in list form with checkboxes next to each song and artist. Check the boxes for the songs or artists (to select all the songs under that same artist) that you wish to transfer to your phone and, once you are finished with your selection, click "Sync" on the bottom-right corner of the application. Then you wait for it to finish syncing and you are done! You should now be able to access your songs from the Xbox Music app in your phone.

If all of that sounded complicated, too granular or you would like a more audio-visual demonstration, just watch this video:

[YOUTUBE]SDLP_HfBayQ[/YOUTUBE]​

Hope that helped, if not, ask further.

#5 RawringSnake, Sep 10, 2015
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very, very much. I'll get this to work somehow. Gotta have those songs on this phone I recently got! Let's see how it goes.