1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What game should I play?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Alder, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never played many video games before but for a long time I've wanted to start- just didn't know where or how.

I don't have that much money but I could spare a few bucks here and there. I have a Mac (which is quite limiting but I can't get a new laptop or PC at this time) and a Playstation. I also don't have many requirements for the game, I guess I want to play solo, with character customization and for it to be world-based, but I really don't mind.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. RainDreamer

Puzzle games are easy to get into and fun to play at the same time, if you are a new comer to the world of gaming. They might not have *that* much of character customization, since the story is integral to the characters themselves and require you to follow a set story line. Games like Trine (any of the series) can be a great puzzle platformer to get into, or you can play L.A Noire for a detective puzzle with some shooter element involved. And of course I can't ever forget Portal, both 1 and 2, being great games of the genre. But as I said, little character customization, despite being easy to get into and fun to play. They also don't require a lot of gaming power and I believe the games I recommended works on Mac too.

You might prefer to jump on some of the more recent RPGs for that character customization. I recommend Shadowrun Returns (or any of the newer campaign like Dragonfall or Hong Kong) - that game runs on my 7 years old brick of a laptop, so I would think it will run on anything. You can also play true classics like Baldur's gate series for example, though it might be too thick for new comer to get into. But they all have great worlds and character customization.

Or you can simply enjoy playing your character in a wide open sandbox where everything is your toy. Games like Minecraft, Terraria, and Starbound are great for this. I highly recommend Starbound despite it being still in early access, because it is the most accessible game of the 3 I played, having some actual guidances and direction for new gamers, allowing them to at least play most of the game without touching the wiki.

That is about all I can think of right now. Hope you have fun!

3. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i would recommend FF7 8 or 9 for the PS1 they are RPG with a sence of an open world in which u can level up ur Charaters. I would guess you can pick these up some where cheapy

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

You should download steam & buy games there. But I don't know how many games they have that supports Mac, worth a look. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    So you want a solo game with character customization? I would recommend skyrim but you only have a Mac. You'd need another platform to play it on. Which PlayStation do you have?

You could also play runescape, that was my first MMORPG game I've ever played. It was fun. It's a lot like World of Warcraft but you can play for free.

5. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I second the steam suggestion, once installed just look at all the available Mac games that they offer. Don't worry about the specs, even brand new Macs are extremely limited with gaming so most games available don't require much. :slight_smile:

6. Lazuri

When you say Playstation, do you mean a Playstation One? Because if you do, I HIGHLY suggest the Spyro series. These are the games that got me into gaming 17 years ago and I literally can not imagine a better game to start with.

7. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think Steam would be your best bet.
    You can download it for free on your Mac and they have loads of free/cheap games you can play. They have different genres too so you can pick something that really interests you. They even have a rating system to let you know how good the game is, and player reviews.

8. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II and if you have a PS3 or PS4 Dragon Age: Inquisition as well. DA:O and DA2 are available for Mac, DA:I isn't.

Downloading Steam to see what's available is definitely a good suggestion.

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I have a PlayStation 3 but I've never used it, I got it ages ago but never properly played anything on it. I just downloaded Steam though so I'll give it a go :slight_smile:

10. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When you said "world based" did you mean open world?
    Grand Theft Auto V - You can customize a ton of stuff in there and there is so much to do it's insane.

I always have to plug The Last of Us. It doesn't meet your specs but a great game with a great story. (Also a bonus non-stereotypical gay character makes a strong appearance)

11. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I suppose I do mean open world! Might look into that :slight_smile: I've heard a few mentions of The Last of Us online and with some of my friends. Might give that a go- I didn't know it had a gay character until now actually, that makes it all the better!

12. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The Last of Us is absolutely amazing. 10/10 would recommend. And there's two gay characters, actually! :icon_bigg

And if you like LGBT characters... let me just add that Dragon Age has gay, bisexual and straight characters who you can romance :icon_wink the third game also has a trans character but you can't romance him... and... I might be slightly obsessed with these games :icon_razz

13. Jellal

For PS3 I have only one recommendation. Ni no Kuni. This is a JRPG made with help from Studio Ghibli animation. It's a long one at that. Play it and stick with it, it's one of the best JRPGs to come out in the last six years.

14. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dragon Age is a wonderful series! :slight_smile:

15. Nikky DoUrden

I think it depends what TYPE of games u would like!
    Watch some videos on youtube for games u think u might like, and gog.com is a nice place to start, they have many games that works on MAC (look for the little apple icon)

16. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, I can highly recommend that too! Awesome game with a great story. :slight_smile:

17. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah thank you for the number of responses still! I'll look into all the recommendations when I get the chance :slight_smile: