1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will your smartphone's alarm turn ON even if the phone is turned OFF

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by SonicBoom, Sep 24, 2015.

1. SonicBoom

A friend of mine said that most smartphone alarm will turn on when power is off.

I told him bull.

Share what kind os smartphone you have and will the alarm still turn on when the power is turned of.

I have an s5 and the alarm will not turn on when the power is off.

How about you?

2. RainbowDude

RainbowDude Guest

I'm not sure if the alarm will sound if my iPhone is powered off as I normally leave my phone on at night but set the do not disturb feature to come on at night.

I know the alarm clock will sound if the phone is in do not disturb mode or is set to silent.

The old Nokia phones I had would switch on, sound the alarm then turn off once the alarm had been dismissed.

I think on most modern smartphones the alarm will not sound if the phone is powered off as the operating system is shut down.

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On a standard Android, iOS, or even a Windows phone, you'd need the phone on for the alarm to work, as the alarm is just a program running on the device.

4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even have a smartphone, I have a Nokia "brick" and the alarm turns the phone on automatically. Therefore, I'd assume that a smartphone would have the same capability.

5. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like bull to me too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Perhaps your friend had their phone in sleep mode, not powered off.

6. Lazuri

They used to work like that since the alarm ran off the internal clock, but these days it's an application of the OS and therefore won't run when the OS is not active.

7. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes my samsung corby and almost all old non-android samsung phones had that in them my samsung phone used to turn off after the battery is dead but then when the alarm time kicks in the screen lights up with the ringtone but the system isn't fully booted,some Desktop PCs like mine has also an alarm o'clock in the bios battery that will turn on the pc in a specific time or something maybe it kind of work the same way,old phones had some magical stuff we might never have these days as everything in our android phones are apps from the task bar to the home screen nothing is built in the system or connected with the hardware....

8. Lazuri

Everything is connected to the hardware, that's kind of how electronics work.... Modern phones still have BIOS batteries, if they didn't, they'd be unable to track time when turned off. It's just that booting up the phone is a more complex procedure than it used to be; the phone can't boot up in a second, sound the alarm and then turn off again in a second. There's just too much stuff going on.