1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Windows 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by loveislove01, Sep 27, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, Windows 10 is currently free to upgrade, at least for me? I've seen multiple threads here on EC talking about how parents could view browsing history, but I'm not sure how that works.

I have my own laptop. There is a family desktop computer, but I'm safe in what I look up there. On my laptop, there are two accounts, myself, and my dad. But I'm the admin of the computer, and he rarely- never really goes on it.

All computers in my house are on the same homegroup..if that means anything.

Would I be safe if I updated? I know nearly nothing about computers, so....

#1 loveislove01, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  2. Ivy Iris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am not sure about the whole parent access thing, to be honest. I just know I tried Windows 10 yesterday and my netbook couldn't really cope with it and moved so slow that I shifted back to Windows 7. Just to be safe, I'd say you shouldn't upgrade. Sure, the features are pretty amazing, but safety is important, you know. Sorry, wish I could actually help you.

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Windows 10 doesn't spy on you if you don't set up a family account. (Which can be turned off in options easily) I've got 4 computers with windows 10 and never got any issues.

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to note that I actually had to revert to 8.1, as 10 conflicted so much badly with my Yoga 2 Pro, and all of the Lenovo software on it. It was just about unusable.

It's a lovely OS, and I adored using it when it wasn't causing me stress, but I suggest waiting until some of the issues and bugs are worked out with some updates (or at least doing some research on how the applications you use most frequently use have been working with 10).

5. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since you're the admin of the laptop, Windows 10 shouldn't be reporting your activity to your parents. I believe it's only when a child's account is set up that Windows 10 reports your behavior to your parents.

However, if you're paranoid, you can install a Linux distribution (such as Ubuntu or Mint) either in dual boot with Windows or in a virtual machine for free.

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2015 at 02:21 AM ----------

Now that I think about it, I don't know enough about how virtual machines work to know if using Linux in a virtual machine would prevent Windows 10 from monitoring the Internet usage.

6. Yosia

Like said above, your parents could only see your browsing history on a family PC with you registered as a child.

I personally though W10 was a load of ... though. The way it ran was very awkward and I just really didn't like the thing as a whole, especially Cortana, who popped up uninvited more so than Siri on my iPhone, which I originally thought was impossible. It also clashed with so many applications and programs, rendering them unusable.

Overall, I think W10 is one of the worst OS's, especially Windows, due to it's instability, awkwardness and horrendous amount of bugs to be cleared.

In conclusion: If you like you computer to look nice and you only use it for limited things, such as browsing the web and MS Office, then go for it. If you want a reliable system, then don't update. At least not until it is usable.

7. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you! :slight_smile:

Maybe I won't really update, because from what people on here have said, it's not great? I use a few other softwares in addition to my laptop, and Windows 7 works really well for me.

It's relieving to know it can't be seen like that! I was confused mainly because of the home group things...I don't know what that is, but now I know for I decide to update, I'm pretty safe.

8. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Untrue....
    Windows 10 has spyware built in, so Microsoft itself is spying on you full time! (and its not turn-off-able)

But my understanding with the thing that sends 'reports' to parents is... if there's no family account, then it doesn't happen (or if you are Admin, then if anything you get those reports)

9. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's obvious that Microsoft's plan was to take control away from users. You can't even disable updates, so Microsoft can make you install any software they want. I'm sure that when "Windows", their next OS which I hear is going to be a subscription-based OS, comes around, Windows 10 users will be subjected to constant nagware telling them to get it.

#9 BobObob, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Arch girl doesn't care :3 :3 :3

In all seriousness though, you should always be using the latest version of Windows. It's the most recently supported platform, better user interface than Windows 8 and it's a higher priority for Microsoft to patch security issues affecting that platform, than, say, Windows 7.

I just happen to think privacy-conscious people should not use Windows.

#10 Pret Allez, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  11. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Lies, with some tweaking and manually uninstalling components with powershell its doable! It's not for the average user though.

12. Roostaruu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Windows 10 is fine. Had it a while now and never had a problem :slight_smile:.