1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best game ever made? In your opinion.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tandthegreens, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Tandthegreens

Just wondering what everyone thinks the best game of all time is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Not necessarily your favourite game (feel free to share that though ^^), but the one game which out of every single one you've played you'd say is the best! Best as in being perfect or near perfect in almost every area.

For me its either Red Dead Redemption or Super Mario Bros. 3. Both of those games were the best i've personally ever played in their genres (open world TPS and 2d platformer)

#1 Tandthegreens, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. FootballFan101

Red

Dead

Redemption

Nuff

Said

#2 FootballFan101, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Man hunt, the executions are lovely. The sequel wasn't as good, but the gore was better.

4. jemand

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I really like the concept of Portal and Portal 2. They added a unique and innovative aspect to gaming that I don't think existed previously. (although maybe it did and I just simply wasn't aware of it).

#4 jemand, Sep 28, 2015
  5. Lazuri

Okami would be the one. The game excels in just about everything one would traditionally call art such as visuals, music and writing. Journey is also up there for much the same reasons and simply because how much it made me feel by using so little.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a strong contender, and has all the artistic value of classic literature. The gameplay was a little weak in places, though. Granted all of it was still awesome, but the movement and shooting could have been snappier for a game 90% composed of moving and shooting. It's like Rockstar's other games in that it relies on auto-aim to compensate for bad aiming calibration. It made gunfights into little more than "lock on, move up a bit to the head, shoot, repeat." The combat part I thought stood out was the duels, of course, because what kind of cowboy game would it be without that kind of showdown? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I could say other things good and bad about it, but I think that's for another thread. My vote goes to Morrowind. It's a tough call as competition for "best game ever" is fierce, but no game has evoked such a sense of wonder, immersion, and progression as it did. If I could choose to forget everything I know about a game and experience it again, this would be it.

#6 Argentwing, Sep 28, 2015
  7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Chess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
  9. Helicoprion

Out Status:
    A few people
    This is gonna sound really edgy, but The Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frickin' hipsters XD I never played Daggerfall, but the people who have love the crap out of it. I don't know if I could get past the graphics and procedural world generation.

11. Ryu

Ryu

FFVII.

I love that game.

After that for me would come either Monster Hunter (any one) or Kerplunk.

#11 Ryu, Sep 28, 2015
  12. Lazuri

RDR's movement was fine. Like all Rockstar games it runs on the euphoria engine and with that engine the player and NPCs become more of a physical object in the world and it makes the models move more realistically, even though it feels a bit clumsy to us gamers who are used to very responsive movement.

Also, about the whole snap-to-target aiming; it's partly a callback to GTA's early days where you didn't aim manually and instead had to lock-on to targets to fire and partly in RDR's case because they wanted to emulate the fast and snappy gunfights that you're likely to see in old spaghetti westerns.

13. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hide and Seek! Video games are fun and all but hide and seek has given me more suspense than playing any game. Seriously, I want to play this game right now with you guys!

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand their efforts are well-intentioned, but the thing that got me was the "turning radius." You couldn't just walk in the direction you wanted to go if it was a sharp enough turn. Where a real human can sidestep or pivot on the spot, the character had to do this little circle to go backwards. Occasionally it would mean if you were covered behind a doorframe and wanted to go through, you'd just slam into the other side of the frame. Not a game-breaker, but annoying.

Assassin's Creed seems to have nailed walking and running. Granted I'm not talking about their nigh-superhuman "free running" skills, but regular gaits never feel too gamey or too clumsy.

About the shooting, I can agree with you there. Maybe I'm just biased because I like military shooters which can be a bit methodical in comparison to cowboy action. Speaking of which, Metal Gear Solid 5. It hasn't won my heart like Morrowind has but it is fookin' close. I've got no major complaints so far and can only rave about it. :love:

#14 Argentwing, Sep 28, 2015
  15. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best game I've ever played to date would have to be Majora's Mask or Ocarina of Time.

#15 AlexanderDragon, Sep 28, 2015
  16. UnendingVoid

The Crash Bandicoot Series. Hands down. I'm gonna go with an unpopular opinion and say that Twinsanity was one of my favourites. That and the first 3 obviously

17. Lazuri

Yeah, the turning radius can be sort of annoying. It's clear that the game wasn't designed for interior combat, which is probably why there are so few of them in the game, in fact I can only recall that one time when you clear out Tumbleweed as the one time that you MUST fight indoors. When it comes to atmosphere I don't think any game beats RDR though. It also has one of the best DLCs I've seen if not the best--it's the one DLC I will always tell everybody to buy because it is fucking brilliant.

As for MGS5, it is definitely high on my "best games ever" list. Since the time it came out, it's become my second most played game on steam, which is ridiculous. I've tanked so much time into that game simply because it's so enjoyable to play. If I were to complain about something, it'd be that the game doesn't feel like an MGS game and that the game simply has too much cut content. As it is now (and will almost definitely continue to be the case.), the only chapter that made it in completely to the game is chapter one, after that there was supposed to be like four more chapters and an epilogue but instead it was cut down to two and the second chapter is basically a mess of Kojima trying to tie up loose ends and he even fails to resolve them all. It is very obvious that Kojima was not even nearly done with the game.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I second Chess, if we go by games in general. But if you mean, as I think you did, video games, well...

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite video game, but is it the best? It'd make the Top 5, but I don't think it'd be number one. There are moments in the game that, while enjoyable, feel put in last second. It doesn't kill the vibe, but it stalls it. That said, it's still a great game.

Final Fantasy III/VI is an amazing game, too. Story-wise, it easily surpasses all of them (that I've played, which would be up until 10, then 12). It has a far superior cast than VII, for example, with some exceptions.

Star Fox 64 is another possible contender. The controls, the graphics (which hold up better than a lot of the Nintendo 64 games), and the voices and sound effects, really make it a fun game. But it's multi-player is bare bones and lacking. From a single player stand point, it functions incredibly well.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda game. It's what inspired the likes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. And at least until the last few hours, I liked the story. After that it became sort of routine.

Poke'mon deserves a mention, just because of the mechanics, everything from how Types work to the battles themselves. The story, though, is hit or miss depending on the game.

Morrowind may, from a technical and immersion stand point, take the cake. The graphics need a serious overhaul, as I'm not used to them anymore, but the mechanics are there.

I'll have to think about this some more...

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, its got to be one of the following:

Morrowind

Portal 1 & 2

Knights of the Old Republic

20. Jellal

Chrono Trigger.

I wouldn't say it is my favorite game of all time ... but certainly the best crafted that I've played, with fun turn-based combat and more extensive exploration then you'd imagine for a SNES game, a ripping great soundtrack, and a simple story with easy to understand characters who manage to have these real heartstring tugging, poignant moments along the way so that they really feel like your friends. Finishing the game, I really felt like I partook in a legitimate legend, something historical.

There is a lot more I can say about Chrono Trigger. But I won't. Instead, I will recommend it utmost highly, see if you can download it on Playstation Network or pick it up on Nintendo DS. Or get an older copy of the game. Whatever you do, Chrono Trigger is a must-play.