1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undertale <3

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jellal, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Jellal

Has anyone else played this game?

It's the retro-looking RPG that came out fairly recently, with the battle system that lets you spare your enemies and solve problems non-violently if you want (or you can kill them, which is what I did) with a good sense of humor similar to EarthBound/Mother and a much stronger emotional impact than you might expect. I would go so far as to say Undertale is the pinnacle of "your choices impact the story" that games have seen to this point in time.

If you like the battles in Mario RPGs with the timing attack systems this game is also good for that reason ... actually, I found myself really wanting to be in more random encounters, I think the encounter rate is too low! And those bosses had me on the edge of my seat (until I moved back to the middle of my seat.) But seriously, I felt it was so good, I would be doing a disservice to not show more people Undertale. I've been a fan of Toby Radiation Fox's work since the EarthBound Halloween Hack and it just keeps getting better.

I've beaten Undertale already, it took me 9 hours. I know there are many other endings I could get but I'm going to take a break from the game for a while just because I played those 9 hours back to back and my soul aches. I love the final dungeon, which I think takes a cue from the last dungeon in Mother 3, both being my favorite finales ever. Between the two of them, Undertale was harder for sure.

The standout moment for me has to be in the last dungeon where there's a depressed neurotic guy working as cashier in a fast food store and his facial expressions when you try to do stuff in the shop like talk to him on the job or sell him things, is just too perfect.

VERDICT: 8/10
    It would be a perfect score if not for how much some of the bosses scared me. I took the 'life or death struggle' thing very seriously, and while the game was fun, I actually got a bit too immersed. I think that this game effectively shaved at least four months off my lifespan.