1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS3 or PS4?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 741852963, Oct 25, 2015.

1. 741852963

I was planning on getting a PS4 on the impression that I'd be able to just buy PS3 games and play them too. I now know it isn't backwards compatible (Dammit!), nor from recent press reports is it ever going to be.

Now some of the games I really really want to play (Uncharted, Tomb Raider, the Arkham games) are released/planned for release on the PS4 "remastered".

But there are a ton of more "niche" games I really wanted to play on the PS3 but never had the chance to: Infamous, Enslaved (love, love, love the art style and concept), SSX, Mirrors Edge, Wet, Heavenly Sword, Bionic Commando, Prince of Persia etc. I highly doubt these will ever be converted for PS4 download as they were not massively popular which seems a shame.

I've debated buying a used PS3 (£85 used or £150 new) to play these and then buying PS4 when its a lot cheaper.

BUT with the exception of the PS1 I have never owned a "new" console. I bought a PS2 years after release and bought games long after release. It would be kind of nice being "up to date" for a change and playing newer releases (although I'm already behind with the PS4!). There are some good deals on now (PS4 plus Assassins Creed, Watchdogs, Unchartered and Driveclub for £300), but I'd probably look at Black Friday/January sales. The only downside for me is not playing the originals and missing out on storylines in the sequels.

What ya' reckon? Play the oldies or time to move on?

NB: XBox One ruled out - although most of my friends do own it and multiplaying online would be cool a. realistically I have crap internet so I'm best off "offline", b. its way more expensive, c. its bulky/hideous, and d. I hate the controller (small hands here), e. I think overall I prefer the PS4 exclusives (although Titanfall looks fun).

2. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    if i was you i would get the ps4 now play some of the games that u can and wait the ps3 will really lose value soon as games will stop being made for it, its already 2 years i think since the ps4 came out so there are new a few good games on there to pick from :slight_smile:

3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    PS4 is starting to get decent price drops.

4. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose this is the wrong thread in which to insist on getting an Xbox? [​IMG]

...kidding. I saw your remark about not getting an Xbox One; I'm just being a smartass because I'm an Xbox guy. But in your case, I'd go with PS4 just because it's the newer one and will be out for a few more years yet, whereas PS3 will just wind up being as obsolete as PS2.

#4 ThatBorussenGuy, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  5. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    A true smartass would say that both Xbox and PS4 are obsolete! PC is where it's at bro!

6. 741852963

I can see the benefits to PC gaming (games are cheaper, able to play exclusives from both consoles). But there are downsides for me: the initial cost, the stress of getting it altogether, having to play in the office/on a monitor opposed to from the sofa on a TV.

Really what would be ideal is a console-PC hybrid. I know there are a few on the market now in their initial stages (like the Alienware Alpha) BUT they are pretty pricey £500-750+ and can't currently be upgraded. I think in a few years when they have ironed out the issues and the price is competitive they will be a winner for me. But for now I think I'm best sticking to the tried-and-tested consoles.

#6 741852963, Oct 25, 2015
  7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    PCs can be hooked up to TVs easily VIA hdmi. Many games support a Xbox/PS/Logitech controller.

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I love my PS4 its awesome you should get one... I would just save up money after buying the PS4 because PS3's are cheap used right now.

10. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally? I would buy the PS3 in a heartbeat. You can find it for dirt-cheap, you have an entire generation worth of games at your disposal from the get-go (as opposed to being stuck with the PS4's current paltry catalogue) that are also dirt-cheap (and probably come bundled in a "collection" of sorts if they belong to the same franchise), and by the time you are done playing everything you wanted to play on it the PS4 should have a much more sturdy catalogue to justify it's purchase.

That's what I would do, since I'm always looking to save money, I really don't care about getting most games on release and jumping on hype trains (with some exceptions, of course), and looking at the PS4 the only two reasons I would have to buy it now are Bloodborne and Until Dawn (maybe Infamous: Second Son). That's just two games so... And everything else they have in store is nearly a year away so...

Yeah.

EDIT: There is also the fact that a lot of the big third-party titles that have come out recently are available for both the PS3 and PS4 (like Destiny, like GTAV, like motherfucking MGSV). SO, you shouldn't even have trouble finding a thriving multiplayer fanbase on those, or worry about being completely out of the loop just yet.

#10 RawringSnake, Oct 25, 2015
  11. 741852963

The thing is the PS3 is now pretty much "discontinued", and only available either used for £90ish (I've never bought a used console before, I'd be a bit worried with no warranty) or new in very selected retailers for £150+ - when you factor in the cost of the four games in the bundle the actual new PS4 is "technically" only £180.

Another thing aswell is with the games on both consoles (Destiny for example), I think if I was going to play them I'd want to play them on PS4 anyway, plus for some reason the PS4 ones are actually cheaper (Destiny is £15 on PS4, £18 on PS3).

Realistically though, although the PS4 catalogue is smaller, theres only so many games I can play I guess. It just seems a shame to miss out on storylines for things like Infamous (maybe they'll be released for PS4 eventually?).

Sigh, more confused than ever! :lol:

I still have mine, I'm actually now scared of using it in case it breaks though!

I keep meaning to buy FFIX to play again.

I think its on PS Network but only for PS3! More confusion for me!

12. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, if you want to go with the used ps3 route I wouldn't worry much about no warranty. The console is bulletproof and extremely reliable!

13. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you have friends with the PS4 you might see ig they still have the old ps3 sitting around and would loan it to you. Mine has been stored in the closet since Christmas and I would have happily lent it to a pal.

This is a good time to get the ps4. There are plenty of good games for it now and we'll be seeing more of those niche games now that the system has matured. I'm looking forward to seeing some RTS games myself. Remember though that with the new consoles you have to purchase the membership which is another $50 or so. There are some perks with that like free indie games each month.

14. Blackbirdz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If your main use for the console is to play video games, I would say go with the PS3. The console is cheaper; the games are cheaper; and it has bigger library of games to choose from - especially the early model, which was backwards compatible with PS2 games.

15. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd wait for Black Friday and/or Christmas, chances are you'll be able to get both for peanuts and possibly a good bundle deal for the PS4.

16. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't have either, but I would get a ps4 just to play Until Dawn. I am obsessedddd with that game.

17. 741852963

Just found out the used PS3 has a 12 month warranty, so I've been convinced. I'll buy a PS4 in the sales/when I finish the PS3 games.

Now just need to decide, 120GB for £90 or 160GB for £110? I'll be playing most from disc, 120GB would hold about 12 downloaded games though right? Seems plenty.

18. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    120 should be plenty for your needs especially since most of your games will be on disc.

19. Asuzu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Make a list of PS3 games you want to play and a list of ps4 games you want to play. Which ever has the longest list is the one I would go with.

20. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very sound logic.