1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedruns

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WolfyFluff, Oct 30, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Do you like watching a game get completed in the fastest time possible, with glitches and game breaking mechanics and various other things?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't care for it honestly. I can appreciate the amount of skill it takes to do that but I'd rather take my time so I can really appreciate the game and pay attention to the details. I'm the type who stops to do all the side missions and get all of the collectibles and get 100% completion.

#2 kageshiro, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not at all.

The focus on speed completely glosses over all of the other aspects that make games fun for me, so, while I'm sure the speedrunner in question would be having the time of their lives, it's not something I find terribly entertaining to watch. This is one of those things I find more interesting to read/hear about rather than watch myself, "Oh, someone beat Super Mario 64 in 0.2879 seconds? Cool!" and that's that.

#3 RawringSnake, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends.

If anybody remembers the warships in Super Mario Bros. 3, with the cannonballs and whatnot, those are entertaining to see done quickly. Bouncing around and moving about, and quickly, add something to it.

Now, somebody jumping into the air, freezing, and then flying through the wall until they reach the final boss, that is amusing for, like, 5 seconds... but it doesn't take much skill. At least in the first example, despite going fast, there is still a degree of talent required.

5. White Rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    The only speedruns I like are the legit ones, based on speed, memorization and ability, the ones with glitches and other exploits are uninteresting to me.
    But I generally don't watch them.

6. Yosia

I enjoy speedruns, but not ones which are done by glitches and unfair exploits, it takes the skill factor away.

7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's some very neat Super Mario Bros. 3 speedruns out there that are quite entertaining! I like the speedruns without any uses of glitches.

8. Jellal

I don't really like seeing speedruns. What I enjoy are first reactions from people playing games.