1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[[SPOILERS]] Undertale ending opinions?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Frisk, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Frisk

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello Hello!

So I finished my pacifist run in undertale a couple days ago and I'm overjoyed! Well, in all honesty I'm depressed that my favourite game ever is over but I'm pulling a strong face.

So i was wondering, what ending did you guys get? I got the true pacifist ending first time round (Cause I could never hurt anyone hehe) and after hearing about what happens in the Genocide route I am glad I didn't try that... If I ever killed Toriel I would have to then end myself from the guilt. So I heard that if you sell your soul in the genocide ending, you can't get the true pacifist ending afterwards unless you delete your steam save data? Is that true? That's a pretty hefty mechanic. Also, can someone explain the character Chara to me? Apparently the story is that Chara possesses Frisk in the genocide run? I never really heard of her since I played pacifist mode. Also, I heard that if you type Frisk into the name selection screen at the beginning it'll trigger "Hard Mode". Is hard mode worth doing in pacifist mode? (Oh my god so many questions someone calm me)I thought it wouldn't change much in pacifist since you're not really fighting.

- Thanks! c:

#1 Frisk, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. Jellal

First: Everyone who has not finished Undertale yet, DON'T read the following spoilers.

You can't play hard mode past the purple intro Ruins with Toriel. It's not finished yet and the game stops there if you choose hard mode. You can do it if you want, but you'd have to reset, and Sans probably won't thank you for that...

Genocide is definitely not a route to take lightly, for a lot of reasons. You really will have to throw out your data otherwise any pacifist run you finish will be given a cruel twist at the end. I haven't done this genocide run but I watched footage and I know what happens if you do. Chara is the biggest baddest villain of the bunch, and the only way you can "beat" them is to not play genocide at all. Chara is Asriel's sibling and if you can believe it was BY FAR the more twisted of the two. What is known about Chara is that they hated humanity and they very likely planned their own death as a means of obtaining power when Asriel absorbed Chara's soul. In the pacifist ending there is actually an extra conversation you can get with Asriel at the very first room game (yes you have to backtrack to room #1, even before Flowey, and even then it's not a guarantee Asriel will be there) where Asriel admits Chara wanted to destroy the humans, probably to take their souls and gain more power, but Asriel refused, took damage from the humans and fell to dust shortly afterwards. I think you know the rest of the story about Asriel from that point onwards, but Chara is a mystery.

It is implied that the flowers you land on in room #1 is where Chara's body is buried. Depending on your actions as Frisk in the game, the more cruel you are the more it seems like you are Chara's second coming, with Chara literally coming back if you slaughter every possible monster in the underground. You have to be pretty determined to make this happen. I didn't understand how it worked exactly, so my first run was neutral—I killed every monster I met but that's not enough, you know. I reset after that and did a true pacifist playthrough, and I believe that's where I'm going to stop, because the game felt more like a learning experience to me about what felt "right" and "wrong" in the game world rather than just trying to cut down monsters to get stronger.