1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tabletop RPGs (personal experiences, favorite games, etc.)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Bismuth, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was wondering if anyone here plays tabletop RPGs (e.g. Dungeons & Dragons, Shadowrun) and if they'd be willing to share what games they like, their experiences with crappy GMs, favorite stories, etc.

I find tabletop RPGs interesting and I've been wanting to try playing one for quite a while. My younger brother has a online friend who is GMing a homebrew (as in, original) campaign using the r20 website and his own story and fictional world. Unfortunately, the GM's game is crap. It is terribly linear, he has a self insert Mary Sue, and it's entirely composed combat. No interacting with new characters, no "off the beaten path" adventures, just clicking on a die until something dies. Role Playing isn't take seriously, if at all existent.

To make matters worse, the GM is a bit of an ass. Today when inquiring what he thought of Russia's anti-gay laws he said that he "didn't have anything against gays..." yet "...I just don't want them to do anything near me". I wonder if he'd be annoyed if people asked him to "keep it to himself" each and every time he displayed affection for his girlfriend. I felt no reason to press the discussion very far because I knew I wouldn't get through to him.

So yeah, my first experience with tabletop RPGs wasn't so great. Hopefully someone here has had a better time playing them than me.

#1 Bismuth, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. Nikky DoUrden

I never played the real D&D with friends but I did play that and other games via forums (you put your reply in the thread as to saying whats your next move) and it was kinda fun :slight_smile:

If u want to watch others playing u can look at Geeks & Sundry channel on youtube, they have many geeky stuff one of them is playing tabletop games.
    There was an episode featuring Van Diezel ! and the DM is really really really good.

[youtube]yLEMb_RIZ3o[/youtube]

3. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I thought about that but I thought it would be too slow and it would be way to easy for someone to cheat. I'd be pretty suspicious of the guy who rolls 20s 95% of the time.

There is tabletop simulator on steam. It should give me an online experience close to the real thing, I just need friends who like tabletops.

#3 Bismuth, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  4. Jellal

Dude .... tabletop RPGs are pretty much the best kind of gaming that's ever been invented.

I used to think "that stuff is just for nerds." Then one day I realized: "wait. I'm a nerd." I've played several different games with several different DMs. And I can tell you bar none the most fun system ever is Monte Cook's "Numenera," or more recently the upgraded "Cypher System" set of rules. It takes out most of the number crunching and looking up modifiers and shit like that, and lets you focus on story. Everything in the game world, be it an NPC a monster or an obstacle or a treasure, has a Level 1 through 10, with a roll on a d20 telling you if you are successful in interacting with that object however you choose to do so. Level 1 targets need a roll of 3 or higher, Level 2 targets need a roll of 6 or higher ... it's done in multiples of 3. That means for Levels 7 through 10 you need special abilities and whatnot to succeed against those targets by either lowering the number you have to hit, or adding on to your roll. It's super super fun and I can't recommend any other system more.

Like, those are the basic mechanics ... you don't need to struggle for hours looking up obscure shit. When it's time to play you just do what you want! We've been playing our current session since January of this year. Our GM is pretty freakin sweet because he lets us talk to gods in the campaign if we get high enough rolls on a d100. Anyway the session's really fun because we've had conflicting motives and morals between characters, there was even a really epic moment where this one dude broke away from the party for good after feeling personally betrayed (just in the game lol) and we've been having separate adventures ever since. I get REALLY into the RPing aspect, I love playing my character. Honestly she's my favorite character of all time ... I don't know what I'll do if she dies! Probably cry a lot.

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been playing D&D for the better part of my life. My dad would write little adventures for me when I was six or seven, and by then I was reading all his game manuals. I played occaisonally with family and family friends through my teens, and then at uni started playing o a regular basis. I'm currently playing 5th edition, and really enjoying it. My group is pretty great, and my DM is a horror/fantasy writer, so we're playing in this really richly detailed world and I love it.

6. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My friend gets together with her family every sunday and every sunday night they play table top D&D. Her dad is the DM and she plays with her three siblings and parents. I enjoy playing, but her family is to strick and crazy for me.

I enjoy writing though and write RPs all the time with other friends. Its fun to put a story together between two or more people.

7. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Would you happen to know if the D&D starter pack is worth anything by itself for a beginner like me or do I have to purchase $150 worth of guidebooks to get anywhere? I'm hoping the starter will allow me to get a feel for the game without breaking the bank.

In other news I remembered that my college has a gaming club. If I can find the time I guess I could give that a shot and see if I can participate in or at least see first hand an RPG session.

#7 Bismuth, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  8. silent symphony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    GMing a Pathfinder Adventure Path right now, and I am so happy to see these published adventures packing their NPC casts with LGBT characters. I am so excited to roleplay all of these characters for my group!

9. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been an avid player of D&D 3.5 since I started running a campaign in 2008. It ran for two years and proved to be quite popular, and afterward I wound up playing in another 3.5 campaign and moving on to Pathfinder, where I've been a regular at Pathfinder Society games. I also started running a couple of Pathfinder campaigns that didn't quite work out.

Anyhow, I've started an ongoing diary for my primary Pathfinder Society character, which I created near the end of 2014. It will also reveal a little about my thoughts behind the character, which should prove rather insightful.

10. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Right now I'm running a campaign out of the dnd starter kit. I got a Mage, a fighter, and a rogue playing on roll 20. It's been a bit shaky start but I think it'll survive for a while.

11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooooh, I played a card RPG called Munchkins with my cousins over Christmas break. It was really fun. I like being a nerd. :grin:

12. Cedar

I have never played any tabletop game before but I really want to. I've always wanted to try those RP forums but I'm worried about not knowing what I'm doing or screwing something up.

13. Dragonsclaw

I've played 1st and 2nd Ed D&D (Several game worlds). Shadowrun 1st ed - 4th ed. Rolemaster, Vampire, werewolf, Paranoia, Alternity, Aberrant, Trinity, Earthdawn

14. Bismuth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Roll20 is a good place to look though groups may want you to have access to a guide book of your own if you are a total stranger. The dnd starter kit can be bought for under $20 on Amazon and it contains pretty much every thing you need to start playing including dice and a campaign hook. There are also other RPGs, but be aware that complete sets can become expensive, especially ones out of print. The marvel superheroes rpg can be found online on PDFs for free though opinions on superhero RPGs in general are varied.

id recommend watching some of ProJared videos on the subject because he has good advice on dnd and RPGs in general. The adventure zone is also a great podcast to listen to to learn what a tabletop is like without being bored out of your mind.

#14 Bismuth, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  15. Ryu

Ryu

Love them (pathfinder because D&D is a pain in the ass to get where I live), but I don't know anybody sad enough or has enough time to play them, so i spend alot of time writing campaigns and characters for fun.

16. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love table top rpgs. My favourite is the fate system which is really flexible and good for combat and "social combact". Its all about using named aspects of your character and the world to gain fate points for complicating things, so you can use them to solve problems and aid rolls.

My friends and I have done the dresden files one and we're in the process of setting up for "fallout texas". It's great for role play. We've had battles, a murder mystery, a museum heist and a court trial as part of our last campaign. It was brilliant.

We do have an excellent gm though. He pretty much let's the story go wherever we take it. We decided to set a panther on the loose to aid our museum heist and he just went with it(one of us could turn into a panther)
    I'm having a go at making my own game. I'm not as good as he is but I'm going it a damn good try!

#16 CuriousArticles, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my god... for some reason being a huge rpg nerd and playing magic the gathering I HATE dungeons and dragons. Probably because it takes about 50 minutes to get to a turn and have me move and roll a dice and then perhaps get killed by a critical hit the very next turn. Imagine chess where it takes 3 hours to play 5 turns. That's my feeling on dnd.

18. Anian

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been playing RPG games on and off since I was twelve. Nowadays I'm mostly playing Pathfinder and Werewolf: The Apocalypse, but my favorite RPG game in the whole world will always be Changeling: The Dreaming.

19. femininemale

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I used to play Dungeons & Dragons at my nearest Comic Book shop but things got off to a bad start and i basically was asked never to join in again (mainly cause i got so excited i screamed like i was IN the game). Since then i have been Dungeon Master 3 times for my friends in D&D and Game Master once in Star Wars Edge Of The Empire.

20. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I only played on two different occasions (both Pathfinder). I'd play again in a heartbeat, but my social circle these days is much smaller than it used to be.