1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's time for a new cell phone..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BradThePug, Nov 22, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, the time has come where I am finally able to get a new phone. That is a good thing, because my current phone has some serious water damage. The problem is that I do not know much about the current phones on the market. I currently have a Galaxy S4, and I loved it until I got it wet on accident. I need something that has a decent battery life and have either has a good amount of memory or can use a mini SD card to expand the memory. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's your budget and preferred OS?

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I tend to prefer android. I had an Iphone before this phone, and I just did not like the fact that I could not do as much with it. Right now, I am open to anything on the budget end, because I am shopping around. I'm hoping to get my phone of black friday, so that will help with the cost.

4. Houdini

Do you have any brand preferences? And what's your main use? Photos? Games? Or why do you need a good amount of memory?

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm open to any brand, as long as they are on an android system since that is what I am familiar with. I use my phone for a lot of things. I tend to have a lot of photos. I also use it to web browse when I am bored at my job. I do some mild gaming on it, but not a lot.

6. Houdini

I have an LG G4. It has a really good camera, 32 GB memory (external with micro SD up to 2TB) and it has a good enough processor for mild gaming and in my opinion the battery life is good enough. Other phones I like are the Sony xperias. The also have good cameras and usually external memory options. And if you have enough money the Samsung Galaxy S6 or S6 edge....

7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The new Sony Z5 looks quite interesting, nice screen, good specs and is waterproof! I personally have a Nexus 6 and I love it.

8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, here we go!

I got two propositions for you (technically 3, but we'll get on that below):

The first one is the recently released Nexus 6P, the latest in Google's own line of premium Android devices. As far as functionality goes, this is it. You won't get a better experience with Android in any other phone simply because here you are getting the full, unfiltered stock version directly from the source. This is basically the Android equivalent of an iPhone, in the sense that the guys making the software are the same ones designing the hardware, which means the phone is tailor-made to get the best performance out of the OS.

With other manufacturers (like Samsung or HTC) you will be getting a version of Android filtered through their proprietary bloatware, which usually means not as good as stock Android (often considerably worse). They will come with pre-installed apps that you can't delete, you won't use (because they suck), will run in the background sapping your data, battery-life, and processor without your knowledge—unless you are savvy enough and have the patience to dive deep into the settings in order to disable them—as well as the whole experience being saddled with a custom UI; a custom UI that more often than not will get in the way of the simplicity Android stands for. Take TouchWiz (Samsung's version of Android), for instance; I have a Samsung tablet and the UI is absolutely disgusting in comparison to stock Android.

There are many other Android phones out there with crazy good hardware specifications (some of them even surpassing the Nexus in that department), but none of them are optimized to run the software half as well as the Nexus (plural) do. There is also the added bonus that you will always have the latest version of Android available on the same day it releases, as opposed to having to wait indefinitely until other manufacturers run it through their bloatware before allowing you to update (I believe the Nexus phones are the only ones with Marshmallow at the moment).

Now, on the hardware side of things; the battery can last you a full day without a charge; it has a 12.3 megapixel rear camera (8 megapixels for the front-facing one), which is more than enough to take great pictures and up to par with the competition; it has the latest iteration of the processor all self-respecting flagships phones are using (Snapdragon 810 octa-core); it comes with a QHD OLED display, for reference OLED screens provide better contrasts and richer colors than their LCD counterparts; 3 GB of RAM and, as an added bonus, it comes with a USB Type-C port—which is the future of charging for reasons I won't get into here (currently this is one of the very few phones that come with it). Storage will vary depending on the model you purchase, for $499 you get 32GBs of internal memory, for $549 you get 64 GBs, and for $649 you get 128 GBs (which is insane lol). The one dealbreaker in my opinion, is the size. This is a 5'7" monster of a phone, which I find too big for comfortable handling, but that's personal preference. Plenty of people like it this way, enough so that phones this size have become the norm, so this is something you'll find all across the board when shopping for phones.

That said, there is a smaller Nexus phone that was released alongside the 6P, the Nexus 5X. Everything I mentioned in the first three paragraphs about the software applies to the 5X too, it's in the hardware that the Nexus differ. The 5X is more a budget phone and as such has inferior specs—Snapdragon 808 processor, 2 GBs of RAM, 16/32 GBs of internal storage, 13 MP rear/5 MP front camera, HD LCD display—but make no mistake, it still works fantastically (and for $350 few other phones can compete with it in that price-range) it's just not as future-proof as the 6P. More importantly tho, this one is only 5.2 inches big, so if you find the 6P too big, the 5X could be the one for you.

I wanted to recommend another phone (this time, a Motorola one) but I ended up sucking Google's dick so hard this post is already long enough. I'll post my other recommendation a little later, tell me what you think about the Nexus in the meantime and feel free to ask any questions.

EDIT: For comparison, here is how the Nexus phones stack against the competition in terms of specs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 RawringSnake, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  9. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    5.7"*

I took the "monster of a phone" bit too far lol.

#9 RawringSnake, Nov 22, 2015
  10. Ryu

Ryu

Well I know jack about phones
    Recently two friends got new phones so I'll talk about those, and both of them were previously android users.

One of them has an ipad, and because of the release of ios 9, was convinced to get an iphone 6s, as now he believes that the soft ware of apple phones has caught up to that of android, if not surpassed it. There's not much to say about it, you know what it is most likley.

The other got a OnePlus X, an android phone running on the OxygenOS UI with a 5" screen, a 13MP camera and a quad core 2.3 cpu. It's meant to be really good, and it's relatively cheap at only £200, and he was upgrading from a galaxy S4, so I guess there's a fair chance you might like it as you're going up from the same phone.

#10 Ryu, Nov 22, 2015
  11. dylanisawsome19

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ASUS Zenfone 2 $299 with a 9.3 of 10 rating
    Device type:
    Smart phone
    Android (5.0) Zen UI
    Dimensions:
    6.00 x 3.04 x 0.43 inches (152.5 x 77.2 x 10.9 mm)
    Weight:
    6.00 oz (170 g)
    the average is 5.2 oz (150 g)

Display

Physical size:
    5.5 inches
    Resolution:
    1080 x 1920 pixels
    Pixel density:
    403 ppi
    Technology:
    IPS LCD
    Screen-to-body ratio:
    70.35 %
    Colors:
    16 777 216
    Touchscreen:
    Multi-touch
    Features:
    Light sensor, Proximity sensor, Scratch-resistant glass (Corning Gorilla Glass 3)

Camera

Camera:
    13 megapixels
    Flash:
    Dual LED
    Aperture size:
    F2.0
    Features:
    Face detection, Smile detection, Digital zoom, Autofocus, Touch to focus, Geo tagging
    Settings:
    Exposure compensation, White balance presets
    Shooting Modes:

High Dynamic Range mode (HDR)
    Camcorder:
    Yes
    Features:
    Video calling
    Front-facing camera:
    5 megapixels

Hardware
    System chip:
    Intel Atom Z3580
    Processor:
    Quad-core, 2300 MHz, 64-bit
    Graphics processor:
    PowerVR G6430
    System memory:
    4096 MB RAM
    Built-in storage:
    64 GB
    Storage expansion:
    microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC up to 64 GB

Battery

Capacity:
    3000 mAh
    Not user replaceable:
    Yes

Multimedia

Music player:
    Filter by:
    Album, Artist, Playlists
    Features:
    Album art cover, Background playback
    Speakers:
    Earpiece, Loudspeaker
    YouTube player:
    Yes

Internet browsing

Built-in online services support:
    YouTube (upload), Picasa/Google+

Technology

GSM:
    850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
    UMTS:
    850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz
    FDD LTE:
    700 (band 17), 700 (band 28), 800 (band 18), 800 (band 19), 800 (band 20), 850 (band 5), 900 (band 8), 1700/2100 (band 4), 1800 (band 3), 1900 (band 2), 2100 (band 1), 2600 (band 7) MHz
    TDD LTE:
    1900 (band 39), 2300 (band 40), 2500 (band 41), 2600 (band 38) MHz
    Data:
    LTE Cat 4 (150/50 Mbit/s), HSDPA+ (4G) 42.2 Mbit/s, HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s, EDGE, GPRS
    Micro SIM:
    Yes
    Multiple SIM cards:
    2 slots
    Positioning:
    GPS, A-GPS, Glonass
    Navigation:
    Yes

Connectivity

Bluetooth:
    Wi-Fi:
    802.11 a, b, g, n, n 5GHz, ac
    Mobile hotspot:
    Yes
    USB:
    USB 2.0
    Connector:
    microUSB
    Features:
    Mass storage device, USB Host, USB charging
    Other:
    NFC, Tethering, Computer sync, OTA sync

Other features

Notifications:
    Haptic feedback, Music ringtones (MP3), Polyphonic ringtones, Vibration, Flight mode, Silent mode, Speakerphone
    Sensors:
    Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Compass, Hall
    Voice dialing, Voice commands, Voice recording

Availability

Officially announced:
    05 Jan 2015

Read more at Asus ZenFone 2 specs

#11 dylanisawsome19, Nov 22, 2015
  12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm biased in my recommendation, but I'd say pretty much anything from the HTC line up, particularly the M8 or M9. They're sleek, suave, and have the specs to compete with the big names. They're very pretty phones, and sturdy to boot.

Regardless of what phone you go for, I strongly recommend checking up on skins that manufacturer puts over the the OS. This may seem trivial and minor, but it's the software you will get the most exposure to in your time with that phone, so you want to make sure you don't end up with a skin you hate.

13. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had the Samsung S4 for a few years until the battery took a dive. I loved that thing. Now I've got the S6 Edge and I adore it. If you want something simpler, the S6 seems pretty nice too. And I believe it's cheaper.

14. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The LG V10 is a pretty slick phone. I don't know if the promo is still going, but they were coming with an extra battery and charging dock, as well as a free 200g micro sd card to compliment the built in 64 gigs.

15. 741852963

If I was buying I'd quite like a HTC.

I think they are definitely the best looking smartphones on the market in terms of design (due to their unusual materials and coloring). I think most of the companies (with LG maybe the exception) have become a bit boring and uniform now.

The Zenphone "looks" lovely, but I've had a very bad experience with one of their laptops (very poor quality, looked nice but felt cheap, and poor customer service too).

16. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Who is your carrier? I recently switched to T-Mobile because there's no roaming or data charges when traveling in Canada and they just announced a pretty tempting promotion for Black Friday. Galaxy S6 32 GB will be free if you trade in a phone. I'm currently using a Nexus 5 that's two years old, but it may be too hard to pass this up especially since it has band 12 which provides better coverage on their network.

T-Mobile gives the gift of unlimited high-speed data at no extra charge | Android Central

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks everybody, I needed up having to get my phone a bit earlier than I expected. I got a note5 in gold, and so far I love it!

18. BaldOldGoat

I upgraded from an S4 to an S6 a couple of months back, which I love. It does not have an SD slot, but using this $13 device to swap back and forth with the phone is incredibly simple: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J2D7R20?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00. I've never tried it, but I understand it's not recommended to actually run files from the card itself directly with the unit plugged into your phone - no biggie.

19. KingdomKeyDK

Just thought I would input... I have a Samsung Magnet. If you don't know what it is, here's why:
    [​IMG]

20. GayPugs

The newest iPhone I find to be amazing! I only have two types of phone: The iPhone and this other phone that is from, like, the stone age!! It's horrible. So, naturally, I love my iPhone.