1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who here plays Helldivers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Lazuri

I just started.

For those who don't know what Helldivers is; it's a twin stick shooter made by the creators of Magicka. It has an emphasis on teamwork as you're just as likely to die from an accidental misfire from a comrade as you are of dying from an enemy. Even automated turrets you throw out don't give a shit if you're standing the line of fire and will absolutely gun you down if you're standing between it and enemies.

What makes the game really cool though is the community driven campaign. Basically, the players fight for Super Earth and need to fight three other planets to win the campaign. Players pick a region, then a planet and then missions on that planet and once all missions on a planet is complete, it will be liberated. Once a planet is liberated, it will count towards community influence in the area and when the influence becomes full, the region is conquered and the community advances to the next region and one step closer to one of the three enemy home planets. Once players get to one of the enemy home planets, they receive a time limit within which they need to conquer the enemy home planet by doing missions on the planet surface. If they succeed, the enemy is vanquished, if they don't, the players get pushed back to the last region they conquered. The community wins when all three enemies are destroyed, but they fight back and can push all the way back to Super Earth and conquer it, which causes the community to lose.

Win or lose, when the war is over, the next one will begin. It says on the galaxy screen how many wars have been fought up until that point.

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lazuri, no. Stahp lol. I want to play this, I really do and I will, but for the time being it's gonna stay on my wishlist. It's December, meaning, Pile-of-Shame month, I can't in good conscience purchase more games when I still have close to a dozen released this year alone that I haven't touched yet (I really need to learn how to consume games quicker). This looks rad as fuck tho, I'm looking forward to getting lost in it at some point during the first months of 2016.

Just wondering, since the campaign is basically played in co-op among dozens (hundreds?) of players in a very MMO-ish way, how does this work for those of us who will be getting into the game late? Do we just join in as the current war is going on? Or do we start a new one?

#2 RawringSnake, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  3. Lazuri

Come on, maggot! do you wanna live forever!

As for your campaign question, it seems like basically all players are fighting the same war, so you'll jump straight into the current one. See yourself as a new recruit in an on going war.

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What if you guys have already won by then? Does the war reset?

5. Lazuri

We're on war 11 now, so yes; it would reset and we'd be on war 12 or something higher than that.

6. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    FUNSIES!

I imagine this being the kind of game that reeeaaally lends itself to continual post-launch support in the form of expansions and such :rolle:

#6 RawringSnake, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  7. Lazuri

It's newly released on PC, but during the 8 months it was on PS consoles, they released several small paid DLC packs consisting of equipment the playerbase asked for and three more major updates that were all free.

So you're not wrong.