1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Advanced AI in Sci-Fi?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Magenta Mucus, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Magenta Mucus

I've been thinking, and I'd like to know what you guys' favourite and most advanced Artificial Intelligence is. So far, I think it is Mendicant Bias, AI of the strongest tier, made by Forerunners in the Halo universe.

I mean, it must be quite strong, right?

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We could be friends. :icon_wink

Although Mendicant Bias was tricked (in some respects) by the flood, and actually outsmarted and defeated by Offensive Bias.

3. Ryu

Ryu

Skynet or hal 9000. Both AI's capable of being sentient, one taking over all millitary equipment on earth, the other a space station.

In games though, I'd say it would be mass effects geth. Those guys are more efficient than the germans!

4. Magenta Mucus

Yeah, but Offensive Bias was designed for only one purpose, and that was to defeat Mendicant Bias. I still think Mendicant was the smarter of the two, because it had a lot of other tasks to do as well, and Offensive Bias had its entirety focused on defesting its opponent. Thouh, I have to admit, Offensive Bias would defos be second.

I know a fair bit of Halo but only because I was curious, and I haven't played the games yet. The flood is creepy though. Like how Spartan 11i was Master Chief.

#4 Magenta Mucus, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  5. RainOnVII

Huh, I only know of Skynet and Tony Stark's AIs; JARVIS and Ultron. Does MCU count? I'm not sure which AI is the most intelligent, but my favorite is definitely JARVIS and his personality.

6. Magenta Mucus

Oh yeah. Defos the coolest AI around.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll second the Geth. Their hivemind structure means that however many you take out, they essentially all survive on an off-site database, and all you're doing is destroying "terminals" that may be easily rebuilt. And not just in little infantry forms, but literally any mobile construct that strikes their fancy. I am actually quite envious of them except for the lack of much individual identity.

#7 Argentwing, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  8. Lazuri

I'd have to say EDI from Mass Effect. She is capable of doing a lot of tasks simultanously or instantly and she actually manages to teach herself emotions and personality with Shepard's help. She's more or less a person by the end.

9. silent symphony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, if you mean "advanced" in the evolutionary sense, the Great Intelligence from Doctor Who can exist without a host. Also, can create sentient snow.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh I just remembered... Ellimist from the Animorphs universe. He started off as an organic form but eventually, through an unlikely turn of events, transferred his consciousness to a fleet of autonomous starships. Some of which were sucked into a black hole which allowed him to gradually transcend our normal reality and allow him to exist outside of space and time, making him all but godly.

So yeah, I rescind my vote for the Geth and go with him. Sweet Jesus The Ellimist Chronicles has got to be one of the biggest influences on me as a sci-fi fan. Truly outstanding even alongside the rest of Animorphs, which was also insanely good.

11. Jellal

Sheik Amiibo

12. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GLaDOS had some rather impressive humor for an AI, and had to have been pretty advanced if they made Wheatley just to dumb her down. :lol:

13. Ryu

Ryu

That's as maybe, but GLaD0S isn't completley... Artifical as such... Being basically an actual persons conscience imprinted onto a computer, not a computer with it's own conscience and personality.

14. Soulmonsters

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say Ava from the movie Ex Machhina, main reason being is that she defied logic for emotion, and became selfish of her wants and needs. If you think about programming a AI; that is virtually impossible with all the knowledge and thought processes that the AI has at their disposal. If you where to program an AI to reflect emotion, they ability to processes logic and information should override any programming the original programmer started with. Which would eradicate any facade at emotions, yet this character truly had a soul. I'm sorry I'm a dork putting way to much thought into this; so on that note Nite all!

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hold on there, flyboy XD. Ex Machina isn't as simple as "oh crap she's the real deal." Part of its mystery is that perhaps she was programmed as a (really insanely good) narrow-AI, with the sole intent to escape into the world by any means possible. Once she did that, we don't see her do anything in particular, so whether she appreciated her freedom was still up in the air. Granted that also raises questions about the nature of *human* intelligence, but what I got out of it was that it got people really, really thinking about AI as a field of sober, legitimate consequence. So yeah, great and possibly quite important movie, but I don't think it's evidence of Ava's being the most advanced AI.

/nerd counter-argument. :lol:

#15 Argentwing, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  16. Lazuri

She's still an AI. She's not a person inside a computer, she's an AI with a base architecture based on a person's personality. They still modified her greatly as a "person" as Catherine was not a scientist.

17. RainDreamer

On what parameters are we measuring how advance an AI is? How close they are to human, or how far they surpass human?

In my opinion though, the most advanced AIs I have seen are the ones in the novel "The stories of Ibis" by Hiroshi Yamamoto. They are AI that has understand the concept of love, but not in a human way, rather in a roundabout mechanical/mathematical way, thus making them a kind of logical beings that can feel emotions. They care for humanity in their own way. Not as slave underneath, not as master lording above, but as companions in the twilight of human race.

On this topic though, I recommend people play the minimalist platformer game called "Thomas is alone". It has a rather amazing story, with characters that some of us may recognized as similar to LGBT character, despite being AI represented by geometrical shapes and doesn't really have sexual orientation.

#17 RainDreamer, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  18. Magenta Mucus

We measure them any acceptable way to measure the advanced level/smartness of an AI. I prefer to measure their intelligence in calculation speed, or its tier in relation to others.

19. silent symphony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How about both? I can think of an example of an AI that strikes a perfect balance between the two: Lieutenant Commander Data from Star Trek TNG. His sophistication as an AI is incredible (but admittedly less so than some of the other examples here), but his quest to become more human (and his relative success) shows how truly advanced he is; he understands his limitations, and seeks to overcome them.