1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Beat Final Fantasy VIII

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Simple Thoughts, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

So...

yeah after watching that ending cutscene, and several points of dialog in the game, I'm pretty on board with the whole Squall is dead theory. It makes sense of the story, makes sense of the dialog at certain points, and honestly I believe it's true. Crazy, but I'm sold.

2. mituaski

mituaski Guest

Congrats on beating the game! I hope I'm not in the minority when I say that's one of my favorite FFs?

[​IMG]

3. Simple Thoughts

I thought the plot didn't make a whole lot of sense, and was forced at some points...BUT if the 'Squall is dead' theory is in fact true, than I'd say it's an amazingly well written game.

It was fun though. My personal fave is still IX ^^

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Short of 7 it's the best one.

5. Simple Thoughts

It was okay. The plot was kinda stupid though, but the gameplay was alright

6. Atreyo

Atreyo Guest

The Squall is dead theory actually makes no sense as it creates several plot holes. It was a fan theory with no confirmation from Square Enix.

There are also rebuttals of the theory on YouTube.

7. KingdomKeyDK

Never played it but I WANT TO. However, story- and moral-wise I think XIII (all 3 of them) was amazing despite whatever BS people give about gameplay.

8. RainDreamer

FFVIII was my first entry to the series. I love it. And no idea if squall is dead or not or there are timey-wimey stuff in there (sorceresses in that world is rather powerful) that cause a ton of crazy things.

9. mituaski

mituaski Guest

Oh you should, I think you'll enjoy it.

And I'm replaying XIII right now actually :icon_bigg *high five*

10. KingdomKeyDK

omg me too!!!! #twinning

11. Simple Thoughts

Makes way more sense than the game's plot to be honest.

OMG check it out these 8 random strangers I met, We all just happen to have gone to the same orphanage, we all happened to lose the exact same memory to GF's which will never be brought up again, Everything in Disc 1 is completely tossed in the trash like Rinoa being in love with Seifer...

Not to mention there is 0 character development for the main villian of the game. She is just "That sorcoress from the future". What does she want? Time Compression. Why? No clue we just know she wants it and it's bad.

Then the whole thing where the sorcerress who was the bad guy in the first disc turns out to basically be your mom...how in the world does that make sense?

Final Fantasy VII is Coincidence the game.

yeah the plot as it is doesn't make sense and mostly just contradicts itself.

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2015 at 04:22 PM ----------

I tried to play XIII, I honestly tried to play that game, but it literally felt like a job to me. It wasn't fun, it was work. Video Games shouldn't feel like a mundane medocre task and that's what XIII felt like. I couldn't do it. I tried, but I couldn't make it through that game.

#11 Simple Thoughts, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  12. Ravi-VIXX777

Lol trust me you're not, I love that game. And Princess Peach is awesome if I may add.

On topic: Awesome! It took me ages to beat that game!

13. xenu

You're not, I personally love the junction system and the lack of MP. Definitely my favorite Playstation Final Fantasy; I don't understand why 7 gets so much love.

---------- Post added 28th Dec 2015 at 04:44 PM ----------

I have two of the Final Fantasy XII* on Steam. Way too different than what I grew up with, cannot get into them.

14. Simple Thoughts

XIII was a movie that tried to be a game, and failed miserably at it.

The game plays itself, the level system punishes you for trying to get stronger, upgrading anything just wastes the money the game barely gives you any of, and the battles fight themselves 99% of the time. The only useful contribution to combat you can make is switching their types which takes 1 button push so for the most part you just sit back and watch the movie...I mean game play itself.

15. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I remember liking VIII, but it's been so long since I last played it, I don't even remember what the plot was. One of these days I'm gonna replay the whole series. VI remains my overall favorite, but there haven't really been any games in the main series I have completely disliked...though I have not finished XIII or played the ones beyond that yet. Actually, I don't think I ever played IX all the way through either, though I do still have the game in my collection.

16. Simple Thoughts

Ooooo IX comes highly recommended :3

17. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    8 was really good think it was the second one i ever played back in the 90s. I do also believe that the squall is dead theory is possibly true, its kinda different i like how they have not disproven or proven the theory

18. Simple Thoughts

I think it might be true because they went out of their way to shoot down the Rinoa is Ultimecia theory, but won't comment on Squall is Dead.

19. BornAnew

One of my fav FF's!!! The soundtrack is amongst the best ever (fishermans horizon <3 ) and I love the setting!

I don't buy the squall is dead theory as I don't think that is the style of Nojima or Kitase who wrote the games story. Tbh they both lack subtlety (not that that's a bad thing as I love their storytelling...it's amongst my fav) in their writing and I doubt they truly meant for him to have died haha!!

Hope you guys try out FF Type-0...it's pretty good too

20. Simple Thoughts

The only thing I know about Type-0 is that it sucked the life and joy out of the Chocobo theme song.

Well VIII's story doesn't make sense without the him being dead part. The orphanage part is completely forced and Ultimecia is the bad guy because...well reasons. They never really explain that part.