1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any interest in Street Fighter 5?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by luke564, Jan 28, 2016.

1. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not long now... It's kinda major - but don't know if there are many fighting game fans here?

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like playing fighting games :slight_smile: Street Fighter is the first fighting game I've played. Chun Li was my main. I havent played any SF game after Street Fighter EX. But if I do get another Playstation, I am sure gonna go back playing this fighting games again; Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, etc)

3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fuck yeah. I adore fighting games, even tho I'm mostly shit at them (except Smash). It's those ridiculously long combo strings you have to memorize and know by heart if you wanna play like the pros that are my downfall. But, what I lack in skill I make up with enthusiasm! (I hope) Not to mention every once in a while I'll get a bullshit win, and it's always fun to see my two friends who do play Street Fighter seriously flip out, because they know I have no idea of what I just did but I still somehow beat them. Does not happen often, but when it does, it's so worth it.

All that said, this February is so crowded with releases I've been dying to play since last year (like Firewatch, like all of the Fire Emblem Fates, like Layers of Fear...), as well as January games I will continue to play for the foreseeable future (Darkest Dungeon, Homeworld, MGO3) that I don't think I can make time nor save the money to buy SFV on release. Still super pumped about it, I just won't be able to play it right away, which is fine by me since Capcom is gonna take kind of an Early Access approach to it and add more content (like the story mode) later on, throughout the year. So, maybe by the time I get around to trying it out they would have added more characters and modes.

Talking about the actual game tho, I think the thing I like the most is how great it looks, graphically speaking (Ken's Jersey Shore redesign notwithstanding). Looking at SFIV and SFV side by side and man oh man, the difference is night and day. I don't notice that many differences in the core gameplay, but what do I know. Whatever subtleties they may have changed won't become immediately apparent until I'm actually playing it, so I'm mostly going by the looks right now. The roster is pretty... Out there this time around. Lots of unexpected inclusions (Birdie? Urien?) and disappointing omissions (I play Sakura, Abel and Evil Ryu in SFIV and none of them are here D: ). Also, out of the new characters, I'm only interested in Necalli. Nice to see Alex back tho! And Charlie finally being playable! Those 3 plus R. Mika are probably the ones I'm gonna gravitate towards. Really hoping Sakura and Abel get added later on tho.

#3 RawringSnake, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm following it. I've played the beta and I can say in good faith the game looks to be a promising successor to SF4. While I'm not crazy for the day 1 cast, the promise of post release characters and content being added to the game leaves me optimistic for the future of SF and fighting games at large, and at least 1 personal favorite of mine (Vega) is already in the game.

Necalli or Fang are looking like my favorite new character (not counting Nash) while Rashid looks fun to play but doesn't really captivate me and Laura is just awful and my least favorite character in the game along with Mika so far. Even though I really don't like those characters at all I do respect the visible effort by Capcom to include a fair amount of fan requested characters from the SF3 and Alpha series as well as new characters besides the obligatory SF2 originals. It'd be really interesting, however unlikely if we could get a SF EX character in the game although Yoshinori Ono himself said 2019 or 2020 could be the year of Skullomania if things go in his favor. He was probably joking.

I myself hope for Eagle, Q, Gen, Rose, or Cody to eventually be added to the game.

5. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see an interest in street fighter v here :slight_smile:

Agree with your comments, it looks great - played the beta and very excited for it, the long term support its going to get along with the design changes they've made are great.

6. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    2 Weeks to go :slight_smile:

7. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    GET HYPE!

[YOUTUBE]0nFd7Iylj5A[/YOUTUBE]

w00t w00t!​

#7 RawringSnake, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  8. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  9. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Meanwhile on PC...

[​IMG]

*Master-racing intensifies*

10. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  11. Lazuri

I like fighting games, but Street Fighter isn't one of the games I like. If I play a fighting game, I want to be able to do what I want when I want to do it, but games like Street Fighter mostly annoys me because every time I fuck up, it doesn't feel like I fucked up rather than the clunky and annoying controls fucking it up. Quarter circle punch my ass.

12. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What kind of fighting games do you like?

Most people these days agree that input / move execution isn't really where the skill or fun lies in a good fighting game, and to be fair in SF5 they have lowered the execution barrier which is a good thing - I still make a lot of mistakes though which is infuriating.

13. Lazuri

I enjoy the Soul Calibur series, which has a more simple input method usually consisting of directions+combinations of two buttons. There are some skills that are just outrageous direction inputs, but I just stay away from those.
    I also enjoyed the older Dragon Ball fighting games like Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenakaichi 2.
    Another favorite series is the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm series. Hate the anime/manga, but I love those games.

More than anything else, what annoys me the most with SF and 2D fighters like it is that I tend to just jump like an idiot all the time. I get that up is jump, but why does one single degree on the stick above straight left or right make me jump? That's just poor game design--give me some fucking leeway so I can avoid looking like an idiot with a ferret down their trousers.

14. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I respectfully disagree :slight_smile:

SF is designed as an arcade game, or to be played at home on an arcade stick - with "locked" 8 way directional control, the problem you're describing (which I agree is not ideal) is when you're playing it on an analogue stick on a control pad right? If that's the case - EVERYTHING in street fighter is going to be a nightmare, I've played the game for years and years and I could never attempt to play it on a control pad analogue stick (at least use the d-pad so you don't have to worry about angles)

Street Fighter has some really sublime design, characters have very few moves compared to the endless scrolling movelists of 3D fighting games, which means you can learn the basics quick, and then focus on when you should be using those moves - I played a lot of Tekken, Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter back in the day - and memorizing endless input strings for characters is almost a job in itself :frowning2:

Still, each to their own :slight_smile:

15. Lazuri

I would use the D-pad, but I play my games on PC, hence I use a 360 controller. I dunno if you're familiar with them, but the D-pad on a 360 controller is garbage as it is essentially just a third stick, only flatter. The accuracy you normally get from a D-pad is thrown out the window.

Soul Calibur does have some really long command strings, but few people seem to be using them, as far as my experience shows. They tend to stick to efficiently using the more simpler commands. As for the other games I mentioned, they don't have them at all. Dragon Ball Budokai 2 had some stupidly complex command strings, but they took 'em out by the third game.

But y'know, to each his own.

16. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I had a 360 and still use the controller on PC, it is actually almost universally known as being the absolute worst controller for 2D fighting games.