1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fire Emblem Fates

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RawringSnake, Mar 2, 2016.

?

First off, which one did you pick?

1. Birthright

26.7%
  2. Conquest

40.0%
  3. All of them

33.3%
  1. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I certainly can't be only one here enjoying the recent additions to the FE series now, can I? Come forward fellow FE fans! I know you are out there!

Which version are you playing and why? I bought both, but I'm going through Birthright first. Conquest is actually the one that appeals to me the most (in every way), but since Birthright is the easiest one I figured it would be hard to stay interested if I came to it after getting used to the difficulty in Conquest. So here we are.

Also, are you playing Classic, Casual or Phoenix mode? (a.k.a: Permadeath, No Permadeath, and Joke mode.)

I'm playing Classic in Hard difficulty, since that's the only Fire Emblem I've ever known, and man oh man, these ones are tough. This is fucking hard! I have spent entire days trying to pull off perfect runs in a single chapter! I know it may sound redundant given that I am playing on Hard, but I'm not used to the FE games actually living up to that :lol: And this is supposed to be the easiest of the two! I'm kinda scared of Conquest now...

Anyway, what has been your experience with the games so far?

#1 RawringSnake, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Smash4Life

Smash4Life Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in England so I don't know when the game will be released but I'm hoping to get conquest (hardmode, classic) first. Im trying my best to avoid spoilers but I've already seen up to chapter 10 on both sides and the first chapter of birthright (major azure spoilers).

3. Ryu

Ryu

Is it out now? Oh.

Conquest, I like black more than... Not black...

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My bad, I defaulted to 'murica. No, I'm afraid Fates doesn't have a release date in Europe yet.

#4 RawringSnake, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  5. Hizaki

I've been playing Fire Emblem since 2004ish, so I bought both Conquest and Birthright, hoping they'd be good. I like them a lot, but I've come across a problem. I own the physical copies of both games, and I honestly don't know how or if I can connect them in the same way I would if I downloaded one. Do I have to download or is there some way to fix the "path not found on this device" problem that I just haven't seen?

#5 Hizaki, Mar 7, 2016
  6. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in the same situation as you. I haven't tried this myself yet, because I still haven't finished Birthright, but the game does mention it saves data on the SD card. I'm assuming as long as we keep using the same SD card that's what gonna connect both games for us. That's what makes most sense, but who knows with Nintendo, since they can be so daft sometimes.

I'll look into it and come back with my findings a little later.

EDIT: Well that was fast. Anyway, what I've been told is that there are no bonuses for "connecting" both games, and we won't be missing out on anything for playing the campaigns separately with our physical copies. I think the only difference (other than the discount you get for buying the other version digitally) is that we have to replay the first 6 chapters when we get started again, as opposed to skipping that and going straight to the "choice" section.

#6 RawringSnake, Mar 7, 2016
  7. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew very little about the differences between the two, but I went with Birthright. I haven't played it yet, though, because I want to finish the main story on Awakening first (I'm getting somewhat close to the end). I'll probably end up playing it on the same difficulty that I'm playing Awakening (casual, normal). I'm rather new to Fire Emblem games, and my strategy is only so-so. Maybe when I get more used to the format, I'll amp it up. At the same time, though, I get emotional ties to characters and I don't want to mess up and have people die because of a stupid mistake ;-;

8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Omg, so many things are different. The stories are different, the settings are [mostly] different, the characters you get are different, the classes are different, even the game design is different; Birthright being the easiest one, designed specifically for newbies to the FE franchise, and Conquest being the harder one, designed for seasoned FE players who want more of a challenge.

Then there is also Revelation, the third path, in which you choose neither side and it's akin to the "true ending" of Fates. I'm very glad that this didn't follow the Pokemon model of "release two versions that are essentially the same with a few differences" and they actually made 2[.5] fully-fledged games. The amount of content across all three versions is insane. I will be playing this all month lol.

#8 RawringSnake, Mar 7, 2016
  9. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lord have mercy :icon_eek: I didn't expect them to be so separate. That's amazing! I definitely want to save up some money to get the rest so I can get the full experience now. I'm...wow. Really at a loss for words.

10. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you buy one version, you can purchase the other digitally at half the price! Which averages out to $60, so keep that in mind.

And btw, I haven't finished Awakening either lol. I'm right before the Final Chapter, but I refuse to go into it before I'm done skill-training my children. They are the most OP units in the game, and I've put 216 hrs. into maxing out all of their stats and getting every one of them the perfect set of skills across all the classes available[/grinding]. Soon they will be perfect and no one will be able to beat my Street Pass team! :badgrin: Just one more skill, I just need to get Morgan to learn Armsthrift, and I'll be ready to finally finish Awakening :grin:

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2016 at 05:57 PM ----------

I was wrong. There are some item bonuses (Dread Scroll, Dragon Herbs, Boots), which grant the Dark Flier class and Dread Fighter class, so that's a bummer. That's it tho, as far as bonuses go. We can still get them when we download Revelation, on the respective game we decide to do so (Conquest in my case).

#10 RawringSnake, Mar 7, 2016
  11. Ryu

Ryu

It sucks how europe/uk always gets the short straw when it comes to release dates of games...

12. Hizaki

I heard somewhere that you get nine save slots, but that could be quite false.

13. Dapat

Dapat Guest

if you own Conquest, Birthright AND Revelation, you get 9.
    Basically, you get 3 save slots for every path you own.

14. Hizaki

Is Revelation ever coming out physically? Or just download?

15. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just download, so we gotta pick which game we wanna download it in. The character we have on the respective game can be transferred over to Revelation, if we so choose.

#15 RawringSnake, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  16. syrup

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i saw no rules abt reviving old topics in the code of conduct so here i am tbh if im wrong rip

i've played thru birthright on classic/lunatic and conquest and revelations on classic/hard. as someone who started on awakening, it was a massive difference coming from a game where everyone had the potential to be OP as fuck and no one was not good to play fates, a game where IS decided 2 collectively shit on every character i love why is the bara muscle woman bad i just love rinkah so much

I think i rlly enjoyed them, although unsurprisingly i did not find myself enjoying the storyline and most of the characters (at first). i still don't like the story line; in response to complaints abt awakening they basically decided to make a more convoluted and confusing game with more plot holes than siblings ur allowed to marry. i rlly hated on some of the characters tbqh, but a lot of them grew on me ; i also rlly like the one gimmick comedy characters so like, i got plenty of those in setsuna and azama and dwyer and peri. and midori420.

birthright was easy but still drastically harder than awakening due to having way shittier units. I found conquest enemies 2 be easier until I was fighting hoshidan units; i've only played 2 conquest playthroughs because of how hard it is to get through chapter 17 without even xander getting koed by the big ol ninja dude. i, personally, can't even get started on the shitty mess that was revelations; while they improved the bases and growths on some previously less useful characters like hana and kagerou who became gods, they didn't bother to adjust anyone's bases or levels considering by the time u got anyone u were basically level 10 and it was Corrin Emblem now. also the storyline was so fucking dumb and i personally find azura as compelling as soggy cardboard. also dont play revelations on lunatic. do n ' t

i do, however, love the option 2 gay marry despite the ridiculous i cant have a a beautiful child with rhajat and yet can make children out of the power of friendship with other girls in castles wth. and i rlly liked the fact that the children from awakening made a recurrence (atleast in conquest) despite its controversy bc it was rlly heartwarming especially if u married selena to tsubaki and essentially made herself her own gradnmother despite htting like a wet noodle . i enjoyed the conqest characters a lot more bc they were a little more antagonistic but only bc they actually had some character depth and personal motives 2 be fighting

i have 2 much to say on this tbh its been consuming my life for like, three months

#16 syrup, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  17. theboynamedN

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My friend introduced me to awakening. I play the story on casual/normal, so I can get a feel for the characters. So far I still prefer awakening. I think fates is easier due to the fact you don't lose your weapons after so much use. Only healing items which I find weird. I beat all three in hard mode. Haven't played lunatic because I had to take a break because I was going overboard. I still like fates, and care for some characters deeply.