1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building my own desktop--advice?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Libertino, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Despite how tech-savvy I am, I have never built my own desktop from scratch. I have replaced my pre-built desktop's chassis, repasted the CPU cooler, and installed new hard drives, case fans, and an optical drive, but I've never bought all the core parts separately: motherboard, power supply, CPU, SSD, etc.

For those of you who have done this, what advice can you give? How did you choose the parts and make sure they were all compatible?

I'm looking to build a "gaming" device, though I'm not a particularly hard-core gamer.

2. Nikky DoUrden

How much money you're willing to spend ? I know someone who's a real expert that could help u figure out what u need ! :slight_smile:

3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    pcpartpicker is all you need.

#3 RawringSnake, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks you guys. I'm actually willing to spend a fair amount, but not too much. Let's put the ceiling at $1500.

Pcpartpicker looks like a really helpful site: my main issue is determining that the motherboard, CPU, cooler, and power supply are all compatible with each other.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  7. Lazuri

The best tip I can give you is to not get intimidated. Building a desktop is way easier than people tend to think.

Also, be careful of static electricity. Wear one of those bracelets that counter static electricity or grab the chassis to discharge any electrical current in your hands before you touch your components. Most components also come in packaging that is non-conductive, so it's safe to place components on it.

Also, I would actually wait with doing it for a bit because Nvidia recently announced the release of the GTX1080. It will most likely be total overkill and way over your budget, but it's bound to lower the prices of the GTX900 series by a bit, so you could go for something pretty high-end like a 980.

8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pcpartpicker has got that covered too, it filters out the results of the parts you search based on your previous choices. So, it will warn you if pick components that aren't compatible. The one thing you need to keep an eye on is the case, make sure you get the size right. Users leave reviews for parts, they also show off their builds in incredible detail, guide yourself from that.

#8 RawringSnake, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016