1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering making a YouTube channel, tips?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DreamerBoy17, Mar 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm considering making a YouTube channel mainly to talk about trans issues, and I was looking for some advice!

1. Do you think it's wise for a young person to put videos on the Internet? I'm not talking about anything scandalous, just your basic trans stuff. And I'm not posting my full name or location.

2. Any tips on filming, or getting around YouTube in general?

Thank you!

2. killswitch0029

I'm not the most experienced person with YouTube, but I'll do my best to offer some thoughts.
    In theory it sounds like a good idea. There's bound to be people your age that could benefit from your proposed topic. On the other hand, like you said, posting videos at a young age may or may not be the greatest idea. People on there can be pretty nasty and I have seen A LOT of hate out on various video's/channels I'm subscribed to. Not putting out your name or location is a smart idea though.
    It's not much, but I hope it helps. Just think about the pros and cons before you go ahead with making a decision.

3. guitar

Regarding the content of your video, the most important thing, is... well, content. A lot of people spend time rambling and wasting time in videos. With the attention span of the internet being nano seconds, skip lengthy introductions and get to the point. A lot of the most popular videos are short and punchy. Say what needs to be said, and wrap it up.

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a Youtube account for a while, and had quite a few subscribers before I got suddenly ashamed and deleted all my videos. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm certainly not an expert on the subject but Guitar is certainly right about long introductions. There's nothing worse than clicking on something and seeing a lengthy spinning text graphic followed by somebody telling you what their videos are going to be about. Just launch right into it and demonstrate what they're about. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

As far as safety and privacy are concerned - be aware that anything you put out there on the internet has the potential be discovered by people - potentially long into the future. So don't put anything out there that you might regret later, or don't want in the public eye.

Also, if you have any success at all - you will get haters in the comments. They'll say things like "you should kill yourself". It'll still shock you a little bit, even when you're prepared for it. So consider carefully whether you can deal with abuse from online trolls before you begin.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice so far.
    As for hate comments, well, it's YouTube and it's unfortunately to be expected. I think it's worth it so long as I can hopefully help our some other younger trans people. The only thing I'm still holding back on is that my parents wouldn't know as I know for a fact they wouldn't approve (I don't have social media, either). Then again, I've kept EC hidden for over a year, but I still kind of hate hiding things. Any opinions on that?

6. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In regard to hate comments, you can always disable comments on your videos as well.
    I've considered making my own channel, and I had one for a while, but I hate filming when people are in the house. If you don't want your parents to know, you can always try and find a time when your parents or siblings are out of the house. Or is there a place in your house where it's quiet and you can set something up where they won't hear you? Or maybe take a sibling with you so if they do hear you "talking to yourself" you can just say you're talking to your sibling.

As said above, I agree with keeping your videos short. There have been quite a few times when I'll be watching a video and the creator is either rambling on about something irrelevant or just won't get to the point and I end up clicking off the video.

Good luck.

7. Mr Spock

This is something I am considering doing as well. I would note that there are a lot of trans men making videos already, so you may want to think about how you're videos will be different. That's what stops me.

8. Careboobear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From experience, I think it's fine. Just be very careful about saying very personal things that someone could use to find you. Other than that, be yourself.

9. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a channel (only 18 subs, but i made it a 1,5 month ago :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). My videos are about gameplays with funny comments (yeah, soooo original. But it is fun to make them, so, whatever :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).
    Never reveal any sensitive information. Remember that even famous youtubers don't reveal personal details (even the ones who receive gifts use different adresses, especially for that, for example, most of the time).

So, yeah, be careful.

I am interested on tips on how to get more visibility too, haha.

But, some tips i can already give you:

-If you are going to publish, like, 1 video per week (that's considered a minimum if you want to become serious with the channel), film the video in advance, and have some videos stored. For example, i release a new video every wednesday. The next is already in Private in my account, and i'm currently editing the one after the next.

That's useful because, if something happens, or if you are too tired, you still have videos to publish. Never stop! :grin:

-Don't give up. Growing isn't easy, and it takes time (unless you are extremelly lucky).

-Upload your videos to YouTube in advance, so the site can process your tags and HD before the video is released to the public.

-Don't spam Facebook groups, forums and other places to advertise your video. Also, don't do the "subscribe on my channel and i'll subscribe in yours!" thing. These things don't work. If your content is good, it will eventually be discovered (it may take time, so don't give up, like i said).

-If you are going to film yourself, you don't need pro equipment, but you should worry about the lights in your video, sounds, etc. Do your best with what you have!

Enjoy your channel! :grin:

10. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, just wanted to drop in and say that if you need to record your computer screen for any reason, OBS (Open Broadcasting Software) is super helpful, and you don't need to worry about it watermarking your footage. That said, as far as vlogging and whatnot, it's not really my specialty, but yeah, lighting is hella important, and sound only slightly less than that. In addition to that, consider the background of the area where you're filming. Do you want a solid background, or perhaps something else? Also, make sure there's nothing identifying in the background as well.

Most importantly, have fun, and use your powers for good!

Feel free to drop a message on my wall if you have any other questions!

#10 AlexanderDragon, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.