1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by silverdeer, Mar 27, 2016.

1. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I found one of the best deals out there and it should come tomorrow.

It is Lenovo - G50 15.6" Laptop - AMD A8-Series - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black and has windows 10 for only $279.99

When looking at the specs on the only seller (Best Buy) of the EXACT model someone said you can upgrade the ram but they don't know the max which I assume is 16gb.

Anyways I am very tech savy but have never upgraded parts of a laptop so if there is two ram spots and I have a 6gb can I add a 8gb one next to it and have 14gb of ram?

Also is it possible to upgrade an amd a-8???

Also if you can get that much ram that easily for $30-40 for the extra 8gb then why do some pc's cost so much?

#1 silverdeer, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think (but am not sure) that you can have unbalanced RAM like that, but you really want it to be balanced (e.g., have each RAM stick in the laptop with the same amount of RAM). So if it comes with one RAM stick with 6 GB of RAM, and you later want to upgrade the RAM, then I would recommend either upgrading to 12 GB of RAM with another 6 GB stick or upgrade to 16 GB of RAM with 2 8 GB sticks (which would require taking the original 6 GB stick out).

BTW, are you sure that it comes with one 6 GB RAM stick, and not two 3 GB RAM sticks?

Laptops almost never allow you to upgrade the CPU. The CPUs in laptops are almost always soldered to the motherboard. So you're stuck with the CPU you get when you buy the laptop.

RAM is one of the cheapest parts of PCs. There's the case, screen (if a laptop instead of a desktop), RAM, hard drive(s), CPU, graphics card(s), power supply unit, motherboard, inputs/outputs (e.g., USB ports, ethernet ports, etc.), disk drives (sometimes), and fans/heatsinks to keep certain parts cool.

I want to point out that laptops are generally more much expensive than desktop computers of equivalent power, and unlike with a laptop, you can upgrade individual parts of a desktop (with some limitations, such needing to stay within the constraints of the power supply's abilities). In fact, you can go to a site like pcpartpicker.com, and it will tell you where you can get each part such as CPU at it's cheapest price, and which parts it's compatible with. There are many videos and tutorials about building a desktop PC at home.

If mobility isn't that important to you, I would highly recommend that you consider getting a desktop PC.

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2016 at 12:28 AM ----------

I looked it up and presume that you're talking about this laptop. One thing you may not have realized is that the "graphics card" is really just a weak graphics processor that's attached to the CPU, so don't expect this laptop to play games very well (in case you were hoping it would).

#2 BobObob, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  3. Nikky DoUrden

Just regarding the RAM, in my perspective its 4gb+2gb sticks because i cannot think of any stick having a 3gb RAM alone, it doesnt make sense, because RAM after all is memory, and to reach each cell in this memory u need to have an address, and on 32-bit address space it can give u 2^32 bits = 4 giga, thus emmitting 1 giga seems weird, thats why i think its rather 4gb+2gb which as Bob said its not recommended..
    I didnt upgrade laptop myself but its probably the best just to use 2x4gb sticks ^^

4. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Okay thanks guys and just to let you know I'm not planning on playing top notch games. Just the ones that have worked on my 2gb ram with Intel celeron laptop :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2016 at 07:21 AM ----------

Oh and I didn't choose desktop as I need it for when I travel and stay at hotels for long periods such as a week.

#4 silverdeer, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016