1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cracked my iPad Pro 12.9" screen today..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MsEmma, Apr 14, 2016.

1. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A sligh shreek left my lips as I watched in slo-mo, my 12.9" 128GB wifi-cell stupid-expensive iPad Pro tumbled in a slow arc off the edge of my desk... Gently twirling on its axis, dancing a death spiral as it plummets what seems like an eternity to the concrete floor below. A monosyllabic "Noooooooooooooo!" is pulled from my lips in this terrible foreversecond. It lands, miraculously, on the edge of the Afgani rug I have in my office and I can breathe again. Until I pick it up. The small spiderweb of cracks emanating from the bottom right corner in an inch-and-a-half radius and the longer, almost graceful hairline fissure arcs across the bottom third from 4 o'clock to 9 o'clock positions. I gasp. It still works and I'm not going to cut myself using it so it's only a qualified disaster.

I'm already behind schedule for court this afternoon, and now this? What is Apple or some third-party vender going to charge me for this repair? Can I do it myself? I'm a pretty nerdy chick. Maybe.

Woof. $599 is the highway robbery that Apple wants to charge for replacement, plus shipping. Local guys said parts alone are $400 because they are in such demand and only a few are producing them. Ugh x 1,000.

Doing it myself involved microsoldering which is a little beyond my skill set. I can solder with the boys, but the fine detail work in microsoldering is like PhD level shit.

Bad news is our homeowners insurance doesn't cover accidental drops (it does now for an add'tl 81ยข/month. No brainer.). Anywho, I went to court and brushed that crappy day off, kicked ass & took names until I was out of paper, then I just kept kicking ass. :icon_bigg

I hope your day was better.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As my gf who works for Best Buy says to people, "Geek Squad protection is worth it." Assuming you bought it there at least, but regardless, sucks. X.X Cracked screens are no bueno.

3. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awwww. :frowning2:. I feel for you. Seriously todays' electronics need to be used while bubblewrapped lol. They're that delicate. I miss the old nokia phones which used to never break lol. :grin:.

4. HerrinDesFeuers

Not only the old ones. I have a Nokia smartphone that I already dropped soo often but it never breaks.

5. Nobo

This is what cases are for!!!!!

6. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Until they do. My old Lumia broke in the most stupid way. That phone had fallen through an entire flight of stairs without so much of a scratch on it, but a measly drop from my bedside table did it. So, so stupid.

It did take, like, 50 drops to get to that point, I'll give it that. I'm a liiiittle clumsy.

#6 RawringSnake, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to sidetrack the conversation :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But does yours have android software? I would love a sturdy Nokia Smartphone! :grin:

I'll take 50 drops if it means my phone might survive to see another day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I cracked my old smartphone like that when I dropped it for the first time. Fell 4 feet from my hand screen first onto a concrete floor. Gravity did the rest. :frowning2:

#7 Ram90, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I forgot to mention, probably the only reason my Lumia broke at all was because I wasn't using a case (I like my phones like I like my men/women, naked). If I had, I'm pretty sure it would have taken a hell of a lot more than 50 drops to make a dent on it. They are durable alright.

9. HerrinDesFeuers

No, it's a Windows Phone. That was one of the reasons why I bought it. I personally find Windows better than Android.

10. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...Agreed. I like the UI much much more than iOS' and Android's, although ultimately I switched to the latter because the lack of app support on WP was killing me. I'll switch back as soon as developers stop treating WP like a second-class citizen :/