1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best used desktop for under $300?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by HuskyPup, Apr 15, 2016.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Our computer is gonna die, and is from, get this...2004. So we need a new one soon, but are also broke.

What do you computer people suggest? I've had the best luck with Dell, so far. We don't play video games, so don't need to run fancy graphics, but we do watch movies and videos a lot. And I might wanna do some video editing.

We have a few monitors already, speakers, and all that...and, I can get a free copy of windows and a variety of software free from the college I work at, as an employee benefit. (Office, video and graphics programs)

Also, we're not great at computers and doing much to get them up and going...plug and play is my ideal, or the one on Star Trek, where you just tell it what to do, and it does it. Minimal tinkering would be a big plus.

2. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You should take a look on newegg, they have some brand new desktops that are quite affordable. They also have some well priced refurbished ones as well!

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best Buy has off-the-shelf new desktops in that range with i-series processors, good hard drives, and ~4gb of RAM. The only hangup is that they will have the graphical capabilities of a potato, but you said that shouldn't be a huge problem.

#3 Argentwing, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  4. irissakata

Maybe something this could interest you if you know someone who is good at building computer's, otherwise you could always try building it using a video on YouTube. But this is what i found and is a reasonable price for a pc (in my opinion):
    Case: Zalman T5 Case $29,99
    Motherboard: MSI Motherboard $34,99
    CPU: AMD Athlon Quad Core $42,99
    RAM: Crucial 8GB Ram $34,99
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB HDD $53,99
    SSD: ADATA 120GB SSD $34,99
    PSU: Corsair 430 Watt PSU $39,99
    DVD Drive: Samsung DVD Drive $19,99
    Sata Cable's: Sata x3 $1,59
    (necesarry to connect the hdd, ssd and dvd drive to the motherboard)
    Which would equal to a total of $293,51

Hope it will all work out well for you! :grin:

PS. Will someone who has a degree in computer science or someone who has much experience in this field check if i missed something, because i don't want to give anyone bad advice.

PPS. i don't know if it is against the rules of the forum to post links so sites such as newegg, if it is then i'm very sorry!

#4 irissakata, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016