1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overwatch open beta.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, May 3, 2016.

1. Lazuri

Since I pre-purchased it, I got into the early access of the open beta, the rest of you scrubs can start playing on Thursday.

Anyways, I've been playing it a bunch and it's a lot of fun. Anybody looking forward to it?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "DIE, DIE, DIE!"

The Reaper <3

I'm playing the beta too. Loved the game so far! I'm really looking forward to it.

3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Getting it on release. Was gonna pre-purchase but college dug a hole in my pockets :/ Oh well, I'm not in a hurry. I don't even think I'm gonna hop on the beta this Thursday, gonna use May to finish some of the games I've started this year but haven't completed. Come May 23rd. tho I'm looking forward to trying out Hanzo (husbandoo), D.Va (waifu), Soldier 76 and Reaper.

I'm a bit concerned about the support characters tho, because I do not like any of them, yet the game kinda pushes you to switch between roles according to the needs of your team? Mmmm, I don't wanna play support :|

#3 RawringSnake, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
  4. Lazuri

It doesn't force you, it recommends you. Both Mercy and Symmetra are really fun to play, although Symmetra only really comes into her own if she's on the defending team.

And D.Va is really, fun, I just wish her mech had more health; you'd be amazed how fucking fast that thing goes down sometimes despite being classified as a tank. I've had some amazing plays with her, though, including a quadra kill and one instance where I saved a friend by tackling an attacking hero clear off the map.

5. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...I lied. Already downloading it lol. Stupid pushy friends.

I think I'm gonna go for Genji instead of Soldier 76 because 76 and Reaper may feel too samey. Oh whatever, I'll probably try them all.

#5 RawringSnake, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. Lazuri

They don't. All the heroes feel unique and appeal to different playstyles. For example, one might want to play as Bastion if they're into point-and-click games. Yes, I'm a bit salty over Bastion.

7. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HAHAHAH so "braindead" Bastion is really a thing then, uh? :grin:

8. Lazuri

Bastion's sentry mode just deals fucking absurd amounts of damage. He's not hard to counter, but people are so goddamn stupid sometimes that it let's a Bastion player rack up stupid amounts of kills. Even in games with better teams, you usually have one occassion where everybody round a corner and go like "oh shit, there's Bastion" and he get's like a Quadra kill before my team realizes "ok, they have a Bastion bitch" and proceed to wreck his shit for the rest of the game, reducing him to a waste of space for his team, but lo and behold, he gets the play of the game shoutout at the end for that quadra kill anyways even though I literally saved the game at the last second with a D. Va ult that won us the game. I'm so tired of the game raising up Bastion players and saying "LOOK AT THIS SICK SHIT" when it's literally the most unimpressive thing in the match.

9. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    MingLee MingLee MingLee MingLee MINGLEE!
    Context: I have that Chrome extension that let's me see twitchemotes everywhere lol
    Oh my god, I laughed so hard. This came from the heart! I can't say I feel your pain because I've yet to experience it myself, but boy does that sound annoying. From what I've seen watching other people play, snipers like Widowmaker and Hanzo are the perfect counters for Bastions. Will have to test that out myself. I'm gonna suck so bad on the early goings tho :grin: This is gonna be so much fun :lol:

#9 RawringSnake, May 4, 2016
  10. Lazuri

WM and Hanzo are hard counters, yeah. Junkrat and Pharra does a pretty good job at countering him as well and also a good Tracer because she can quickly get to Bastion's back where he has a 3x damage crit point you can shoot.

11. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    *furiously taking notes*

I'm off to play!

#11 RawringSnake, May 4, 2016
  12. Buusy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you play it on the PC or the console? I'm asking because I played it on a pc once and later today I'll play it on my console but idk if there's a huge difference between the console and pc version (except graphics and fps).

13. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mouse-aiming is inherently much more precise than aiming with a control pad. Unfairly so even, which is why most multiplayer shooters don't allow cross-play between console players and pc players, since 9 out of 10 times the latter will completely steamroll the former.

As far as I know, that's the only significant difference between both vanilla versions of the game, which is huge for me, but I would understand if others don't think it's that much of a bigdeal. So far I'm having a blast using Hanzo and Soldier 76, but I know for sure I could never play Hanzo using a control pad without clawing my face off.

Different strokes for different folks I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#13 RawringSnake, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  14. Lazuri

Back in the day, Microsoft promoted Shadowrun, a multiplayer FPS game that featured cross-play between Xbox 360 and Windows Vista. It was just a massacre. The only game I've played where I actually seem to do better with a controller is in Titanfall, and that's when playing on PC.

15. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Btw, um, you weren't kidding about Bastion.

Oh. My. God. Most braindead character in the whole roster. You can absolutely wreck an entire unsuspecting team without even trying. It irks me to no end, specially because I'm seeing "smart" Bastion players camping in corners where you can't flank them, so you are stuck getting mowed down over and over again in the hopes of chipping down it's health before you die in less than 2 seconds.

Maddening.

#15 RawringSnake, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  16. Lazuri

Right? Fortunately, I've gotten fairly good at taking them out at this point. It's easy to score direct rocket hits on a stationry target with Pharra and when I'm playing D. Va, I tend to use defense matrix and then rocket boost into them because it knocks them out of sentry mode.

Yesterday when I played with a friend, we legit went up with a team that all picked Bastion.

17. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

This was us last night lol.​

It was our last match before we were calling it quits, and the enemy had three Hanzos in the previous match, so I had the marvelous idea of going out trolling and countering their Hanzos with a trio of 76s. The rest of our team rolled with it and this is what you get :grin: The funniest thing is we fucking wrecked them. I cannot believe that worked, but it did, beautifully. I had never seen a payload delivered so quick, we went through those checkpoints so fast we had over 7 minutes to spare by the time it was all over. No one ever switched from Soldier 76. It was so, so beautiful :roflmao:

#17 RawringSnake, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  18. Lazuri

Reminds me of this. We fucking wrecked the Bastion team, though.

19. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pssssss, doing good so far :icon_mrgr

[​IMG]

Between you and me, I may or may not be literally the best D.Va ever. Just sayiiiing :rolle: Although to be perfectly honest, I've had to learn her not only because I like her but also by necessity because I'm always stuck in teams in which nobody wants to tank, and she is the only tank I care about. Oh well, beats playing support, which I just... No.

I'm also very very happy with my improvement with Hanzo. To be perfectly honest I was about to give up on him since he is so freaking hard to nail (much harder than Widowmaker), yet I finally started getting those meanstreaks of bullseye after bullseye after bullseye. Now we good. I can wreck shit with him :slight_smile: Not as consistently as with 76 or D.Va, but when I do get going, it's headshot city!

How are you guys doing? Are we three the only ones playing the beta around here? It's free! Check it out people!

#19 RawringSnake, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  20. Lazuri

I'm a pretty beastly D. VA was well, even though she's severely underpowered. I have, however, discovered that I've a thing for Pharah lately as I've started doing better and better as her, even getting play of the game a couple of times, despite Bastion being an asshole.

Speaking of Bastion, I'm getting really tired of ending every session with an overwhelming disgust of Bastion players. I really, really don't see how he is balanced in any way and I am so, so tired of seeing a "play of the game" highlight of a Bastion player going at it like he's Tim Schafers biggest fan. I'm seriously considering getting good with Genji just to shut those pieces of shit down.

Alternatively, I'd be satisfied if every Bastion "play of the game" clip was given the MLG meme treatment so that the Bastion player feels ashamed of how low they have sunken.