1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Diamond in the Rough (or even crap) Small-Time Games to Recommend?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by 101DeadRoses, May 6, 2016.

1. 101DeadRoses

So, basically, I love games that no-one has ever heard of, that don't have much funding or popularity, and that the world is generally unaware of.

Some of my favorite games don't even (or very rarely) show up in my google searches (which sucks because one of my favorite games, "Legendary", ended on a cliffhanger, and I wanna know what happens when the guy does the thing, dammit!), and I really enjoy good games that are hard to find and made by developers who are very very very not popular.

Also, I enjoy games that are so mind-bogglingly crappy and funnily bad that they become lovable and even take on some semblance of being good, for example, games you might find in the deepest, darkest recesses of the "Devil's Asshole" used game shop (yes, I made that up, and yes, I would shop there).

I would very much appreciate it if you would recommend me some games like this, as I sadly can't get to my area's thrift shops that much anymore.

While I'm here, here's some little-known games I love;

"Legendary" (Barely found this, don't think the price is quite good, as I got this for three dollars at a thrift store, but whatever.)
    http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Xbox-360/dp/B00109KMOO

I... love this game.

Just the way it is presented, and the way it looks.... It just makes me feel good inside.
    Graphics and animation are a bit crappy, but I still very much enjoy it, as I find that graphics don't make the game. Also, I enjoy myths and legends, so this tickles my nerd senses.

It also has a few tricks to it, and I found the combat to be trying and even frightening at times... and those GODDAMN blood spiders kick my ass every time.
    Also, I knew terror when I first encountered a Gollum. I was confused by the wreckage, afraid of what it would do if it saw me, and panicking because I was overrun by human enemies, so it was overall traumatic.
    But, to me, this game is fun, and I proudly display it on my favorites shelf.
    Honestly, I believe that if you don't at least try this game, you're seriously missing out.

Also, shoot Minotaurs in the back. Just do it before you spend three hours struggling like I did.

"Jericho" http://www.amazon.com/Clive-Barkers-Jericho-Xbox-360/dp/B000R0SR9E

As I don't much like gory horror, I find it surprising that I like this game.
    But there is just something so elegantly horrifying about the walkways of petrified flesh, rivers of blood and mutilated creatures that keeps me fascinated.
    That and the telekinetic lesbian sniper and the preacher who I SWEAR is gay.
    I mean, that run cycle....

But really, I find this game to be very, very creepy, but even more than that, interesting, fun, and even heartbreaking at moments.

The hellscape is certainly creepy, while the character's abilities are fun but difficult to master.

The characters themselves are interesting, and while I have yet to finish the game, I find myself attached to them and craving more knowledge about them.

This game may be tough, and not for beginning gamers, but it's ultimately well worth your time.

Also, it's more well-known than Legendary, but I would never have heard of it were it not for finding it at the same shop I found Legendary.

"The Darkness" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_(video_game)

This game... is awesome. I freaking love it. Seriously.

Heartbreaking, beautiful, with just enough grit and a decent amount of humor and horror to keep me from getting too emotional, it has a very special place in my heart, and I love it to death.

Also, it has unlockable content (mainly art and videos about the conception and development of the game) and who doesn't love that?

And... just a warning....

Jackie dies and goes to hell briefly.

I won't say much, but uh...

Jumpscares and atmosphere....

Clear your bowels before playing.

In short, this game is one of my favorites, and I cannot wait to play the sequel and read the comics.

That's all I can think of for now. Game on!

2. Lazuri

The first Darkness game is one of my favorites too. Gameplay isn't really better than average, but the narration and atmosphere is so well done, I can't even...
    The sequel has better gameplay and is closer to the comics, but isn't as well presented.

As for other games, I'd recommend Okami. It's not that unknown, but it never got the attention it deserved despite being rereleased two times for two additional consoles.

You could also try out Troika's final games Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines and Arcanum. They're both cult hits.

3. Nikky DoUrden

Thats the one that came into my mind ! Arcanum didnt but that one i actually played, unlike Bloodlines which I stopped playing after a short while don't remember what put me off.

There is also the full-of-bugs game known as Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance.
    Its such an old game and buggy but it combines turn-based combat-strategy game on map really similar to Total War, and at some points u can activate missions that u go into 3D mode RPG, it might sound weird but it was one of my most favorite games as a kid !
    [​IMG]

#3 Nikky DoUrden, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. Ryu

Ryu

^
    That box art reminds me of highlander on so many levels...