1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield 1 Trailer

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BobObob, May 6, 2016.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [YOUTUBE]c7nRTF2SowQ[/YOUTUBE]

I'm ready to have ware game in a more historic setting in a newer engine instead of continuing the trend of going to more futuristic warfare.

What do you think?

#1 BobObob, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. KayJay

I am super on board! I just wish it were WWII as I enjoy the history of the second world war a lot more. There hasn't really been a solid WWI triple A game, at least to my knowledge. So this is still pretty great.

3. Charlz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm excited to horribly die beside you when we play

4. Ryu

Ryu

If this is meant to be historically accurate this will be one really boring game.

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I am very excited about this as I love games based on history. I only loved call of duty when it was based on the world wars and it now looks like Battlefield are going in that direction.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not necessarily. Of course it will only be as realistic as previous Battlefields (looks sorta plausible but falls flat if you know how it's supposed to look) but I assume you're talking about mostly-static trench warfare. It was only a small part of the war that was two sides holed up across from each other, firing one artillery barrage after another. It was a truly global conflict, with the first use of airplanes, tanks, and all sorts of tactics that made it the turning point in warfare from Napoleonic fashion to modern fighting.

All that said, I've never been a huge fan of BF or CoD. But this one looks really flippin' good. (!)

7. Lazuri

Not really--technology at that point was fairly one-sided.

Any attempt to take new ground was always cut down by machinegun fire because there was no viable way to protect against it while also remaining on the offensive until the WW2 tanks. The WW1 tanks, that only really showed up late in the war, were too cumbersome to spearhead a charge.

It wasn't until Germany's secret weapon, Lenin, defeated the Russians on the eastern front that the war actually started to move simply because Germany had such a superiority in numbers once all the soldiers on the eastern front was moved to the western front. Before then, it was largely the same everywhere.

I am however curious if they're going to represent how truly brutal that war actually was. Like, will you be able to throw mustard gas and will you have to be quick to pull up your gas mask to avoid dying from it? Will it put more emphasis on close-quarters combat with bayonets? That war was called "The War to End All Wars" for a good reason; every faction at that point assumed that technology had totally ended warfare as they knew it and just turned it into a slaughter that nobody can truly win, because it wasn't a war--it was a massacre.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One sided how, as in weapons tech had progressed faster than anyone knew how to handle it? That I can agree with. But unfortunately, I highly doubt they're going to get really serious about how bad it was. BF seems to be about the guns and vehicles much less so than special tactics like countering a gas attack with a mask. I am most looking forward to the aerial combat though-- there's little more romanticized than the barnstorming era of flight.

9. Lazuri

It was one sided in the way that it was the first time heavy machineguns were widely used in warfare by both sides and there wasn't really any way to defend against it. Pretty much every single charge to try and gain more ground was met with extremely heavy machinegun fire that forced the attackers back into their trenches. However, transporting them and setting them up took a long time, so whenever a charge actually succeeded, they'd pretty much immediately be chased back to their previous position by a counter charge before they set up a defensive perimeter. There simply wasn't a way to traverse the terrain that consisted of mud, barbed wire, impact craters, corpses and abandoned trenches filled with mustard gas in a way that didn't allow machinegun crews to pick you off with overwhelming ease.

It was a whole lot of pointless back and forth that resulted in massive casualties that didn't change until the Germans beat it by basically throwing bodies at the enemy lines.

I feel like the only era of warfare that is more boring to portray from a gameplay perspective than WWI is basically the Napoleonic days when lines of soldiers would just march forward in lines and fire their musket at enemy lines until one of them fell down. That said, I am personally fond of the era and often feel as though it's often overlooked in forms of media, so I am glad to see this game announced. There's absolutely no way it's going to be historically accurate, but I appreciate it nonetheless and I find myself actually a little bit excited about a BF game for the first time ever.

---------- Post added 8th May 2016 at 02:07 AM ----------

Also, I saw some clips from the trailer in a GIF on 9gag and I saw what looked like an explosion of yellow smoke, so looks like mustard gas is actually in the game. I'm actually surprised, but I guess it was a big deal during the conflict.

#9 Lazuri, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it worked at least once...

[​IMG]

And there's also Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars, but that's a little more niche.

11. Lazuri

As an RTS, it absolutely works, but I was thinking more as an action game like Battlefield.

12. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks absolutely amazing, unlike COD they know what their fans want. Also the game Verdun on PC (check it out I would highly recommend it) has demonstrated that the WW1 shooter can be very effective.

#12 Nordland, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  13. Glowing Eyes

It's more interesting than the hyper-generic, senseless, Michael Bay futuristic "style" that COD is going for these days. Seriously, I saw the trailer for Infinite Warfare a few days ago and it looks absolutely horrendous. I mean, I never cared much about the series but that trailer really killed the little bit that I did have.

14. Hizaki

And thus ends the era of Call of Duty (?)

I have been waiting a decade for this, really.

15. Lazuri

No, it will still sell. People will piss and moan about its quality and they'll go ahead and buy it nonetheless. It really pisses me off. I really just want them to release a game and have it bomb so hard that its financial loss is fairly significant. Only then will the CoD era truly end.

16. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Battlefield to death. I hope this game won't try to change what gives the series it's magic.

17. Hizaki

Ah! But I mean that since Call of Duty has sort of moved out of its old niche as a (the) historical fps, other games are going to fill that void, because, honestly, the World Wars are probably going to be the most popular themes for a long time. I'm not saying that Call of Duty is going to bomb this generation, but I think they might be over the hump, so to speak. I enjoyed CoD 5 the best out of the ones I've owned (3, 5, 6, 7), but there is so much that future fps games can and ultimately will improve on. I'm excited :grin:

18. Glowing Eyes

19. Buusy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just hope that BF1 will be a mix between the Bad Company games and BF3. BF4 was kinda boring for me, I can't really tell why, it was just that I had no fun playing it after a few hours. But I have a good feeling with the new game and DICE also confirmed a open beta.

20. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Infinity Warfare demo is now #4 most disliked Youtube video of all time, not far behind #3 and #2. None of the 3 videos currently more disliked than it are trailers, making it the most disliked trailer in Youtube history.

#20 BobObob, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016