1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice sought: making sense of e-mail issue

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, May 20, 2016.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please help out with some info if you can.

I've gotten junk mail for years in my major telecommunication e-mail accounts, but this one is new. Most of the time, you can hover over the sender and see their e-mail address. And you can see it's nothing that interests you. Sometimes, including this time, it's in a foreign language and with a country I've never sent e-mail to that I can remember. If I did, it would have been 12 years ago, and it was for a major hotel and did not have any key data in it! This time, hovering over the address shows my e-mail address. I scanned it a few times and it looks to be mine.

1. I did not open the messages.
    2. The messages went to junk right away.
    3. I changed my password, which was unusual to begin with.
    4. My folders and messages look pretty much intact.
    4. Is there a way to advise my major carrier about this sort of activity for these specific messages?

I'd like to know how, when the senders of junk mail have normally had different e-mail addresses, this could happen and how to advise my major carrier about this, and if I should.

Any insight and help will be MUCH appreciated.

2. gryf

Email address was spoofed. (basically they faked it)
    It's a common technique, but many email servers have defense against it. Sometimes they get through

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I was thinking "WTF" since this is the first time I've seen this.

I also saw the term spoofed in some forums. I went in and looked at all the logging activity and sent activity, and it looked normal. So, the e-mail server sort of caught it since it did go to junk.

Again, it was a first, so I was taken aback. Thank you.