1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

htol#NiQ: The firefly diary

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RainDreamer, May 20, 2016.

1. RainDreamer

In case you were wondering, I did not have a stroke writing the title nor I have a cat. The title of the game is a stylized way to read Hotaru no Nikki (or, Firefly Diary) in Japanese and it is officially the name of the game.

And let us get onto the game. It is a puzzle platformer game where you guide a little girl through post apocalyptic world to find ... You will find out if you play the game. This game is not very remarkable gameplay wise - you control a pair of fireflies with different abilities to help the girl - New, but not exactly ground breaking. However it sure has an amazing story and atmosphere, that I do not dare to spoil it for you. I will instead just say that, if you have ever played Limbo, and Yumei Nikki, then this thing is the best of both in term of story and atmosphere.

The game is unforgivingly difficult, and will push you to your limit. Most of the time you will fail, and will have to learn from your mistakes to pass a section, but sometimes it seems very unfair.

Still, it has such a great story, and one that really sticks in my mind. Warning: despite the cute art work, it is not fit for children.

https://youtu.be/clqJ3sQih-I
    [YOUTUBE]clqJ3sQih-I[/YOUTUBE]

#1 RainDreamer, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016