1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Is There No Empty Closets App?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Mojan, May 23, 2016.

1. Mojan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dunno 'bout you guys but I find having to use it on my browser annoying. An app would make it all much more convenient.

2. Lazuri

If you can code it, I'm sure they'd be all over the idea.

3. Well, really, it's all down to the service itself. Since the forum is powered by vBulletin and wasn't developed from scratch, it would take time to find the right modules and code that have effects on accounts, the database, stats, moderation, etc. (I tried making an app from SMF, and it caused a lot of hassle behind the scenes :frowning2: ).

---------- Post added 23rd May 2016 at 11:09 PM ----------

Unless vBulletin gives out API's for the administrators to develop Apps for their forums, your pretty much stuck with the mobile site. :c

4. Lazuri

What about tapatalk, though? I used to play on a private WoW server and their forum was made compatible with an app called tapatalk which I think sort of converts the forum into a more easily handled smartphone format.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whilst an app isn't in development, there has been considerable focus on ensuring that our migration to a new forum platform comes with a compatible mobile skin for those accessing from a mobile or tablet. This skin is going to be very responsive, will allow you to participate on the community with ease, and will allow you to navigate across the site just as easily as you would with a desktop browser.

The development of an app has security issues that need to be weighed up. Most importantly, if a closeted individual was to download this app, it would be documented in an individual's account history. If a parent was to access either the device or the account history, the presence of such an app would be a risk to an individual being outed. Therefore, we have focused our resources on developing a mobile skin so that all individuals on mobile and tablet devices can still access the community without being disadvantaged. Once we have that nailed, we can then look into developing an app, for those who are in a position to have the privacy to use it on their device without risk.

By doing it this way, we're ensuring the first step we take to accommodating mobile users is something that has the capacity to work for everybody. If we started by developing an app, it would only be a suitable alternative for those who have the autonomy to use a device and service account without nosey family members or friends. :slight_smile:

6. I may be wrong then. I never heard of Tapatalk in my life until now. :grin:

Seems understandable. :wink:

7. Lazuri

Well, when it comes to that, tapatalk seems like the ideal app to feature EC since it only appears as "tapatalk" and features a slew of various forums.

Though to be perfectly honest, I've always considered your rules when it comes this sort of privacy a bit extreme. Never did understand why it can't be up to the individual whether or not they want to be linked to this site. Like, I'm 100% out and literally don't care who knows; why is it your business if I want to post my steam ID to play with other members of the site? Never made sense to me.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We ruled out Tapatalk due to security and privacy issues with a third-party app. The new platform has pretty good browser compatibility on mobile devices.

We may consider developing a mobile app at some point in the future, but it's a pretty daunting task.

There are the security issues Martin described, and there are also a nightmare's worth of device compatibility issues. On a browser, device compatibility is handled by the browser itself; with an app, the app must be designed to support all the different variants of devices (many different tablet and phone sizes/shapes, different software platforms, and different versions of each of the various software platforms, etc). It very quickly becomes a situatoin where there are easily over 100 variants. Most companies with complex apps use a pretty large (and expensive) app support company to maintain compatibility. So it will likely be a while, if ever, before we undertake that.

As to our security policy, the issue is that we have many young members, and there are also a huge number of creepers out there on the 'net as a whole... I'm sure you know this if you've ever been on a less-secure community.

While our security policy is strict, one of the side effects is that it pretty much makes EC completely undesirable to creepers, as it's all but impossible for creepers to prey on people in the EC community. Were we to relax the rules even a little bit, it would allow a "loophole" that could allow sophisticated creepers to groom and prey on our younger members. Additionally, we've always avoided setting up age-based "classes" of members (meaning, if your x age, you can post this, if you're y age you cannot), in part because that would simply invite poeple to lie about their age.

So while the rules could be interpreted by some as overly strict for those who are over 18, we've come to find that the overwhelming majority of our members appreciate the fact that EC is pretty much creeper-free, and a large part of our security measures are intended to keep it that way.

9. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad that this was taken into account by admin. It was personally one of my concerns.
    And it's great that the mobile platform will be easier to navigate!! As someone who much more has their phone on hand than a laptop, like many users, this'll be a great advancement as the current mobile site is slightly difficult.

10. Mojan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's understandable. Glad to hear that it'll be more compatible with mobiles soon and an app could be a possibility someday :thumbsup:

11. Nobo

you can make it a secret app like those image vaults that require a password and are hidden behind a calculator

12. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back in the day when I was young and beautiful and the original iPhone was still a pipe dream, EC ran on a heavily customised version of vBulletin which required extra work to make it compatible with anything (even upgrades.)

Don't know what happened since, but it could be a factor to consider too.

13. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah for example it could be

"EC Calculator"

and then to access the app you have to put "EmptyClosests" but if the password is entered wrong then it should appear as a calculator lol.

14. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :icon_bigg nice idea though

15. Marish

Marish Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I totally agree and wish they made an app, would be haappy to pay for it
    Marish XX

16. Nobo

No to hide it completely it would have to have its name only be calculator then you can get it from a link on this site then to get into it it looks like a normal calculator but then you type in a code and it lets you into the real ap

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's still true. The new platform will also be heavily customized. (There's really no way around it with the special requirements we have.)

An app is not on the radar at present. Are we aware of the requests for it? Yes. But the move to the new platform is where our focus is for the foreseeable future.

18. thepandaboss

I think y'all should just make a stickie about the deal with the app cause this always comes up. Personally, I don't ever want an EC app even if it was a thing. Like being able to keep my phone minimally cluttered.

19. FutureDoctor

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree that there should be an app for this site. It would make it more enjoyable to use in the long run. I'd imagine it would be hard to navigate on a mobile device.

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can say that the mobile version of the new platform (that's in development) is pretty slick and, while probably not quite as slick as a custom app would be, it's light years better than using the current EC software platform on a mobile device.