1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Techies does this look like a good rig?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ThatRangerGirl, Jun 15, 2016.

1. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    iBUYPOWER Desktop - Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive + 120GB Solid State Drive White BB704 - Best Buy

Even if it is "overpriced" I was willing to go up to 2000 dollars, and i specifically wanted a gaming PC.
    But I do not know that much about tech--just enough to get myself in trouble with a bad purchase--so can you guys tell me does this look like a good computer?

By this I mean price not being a factor--does it look like a generally solid build, that can "get the job done" and does it look like it could last pretty well?

thanks for the help

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have no idea how well this will work. You should look at the specs on any games you intend to play and see if it meets or exceeds recommended stats. Reviews seem solid.

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There is nothing like building your own computer. You want to save some serious money, build your own thing.

4. Lazuri

No, it is not. The graphics card is significantly weaker than the rest of the rig, which I suspected as there was little mention of the GPU anywhere else but in the in-depth specs. The 960 is basically an introductory gaming GPU and not quite sufficient for somebody who wants a truly powerful gaming rig. What's worse is that these pre-built computers frequently come in cases and configurations that makes it redundantly hard to upgrade components; the case might not fit a larger GPU.

Build the rig yourself and it will be SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful. You can probably even toss a GTX1080 in there.

5. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Graphics card looks a bit meh. I would recommend building your own PC; it's cheaper, you can choose all the parts and relatively easy.

6. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Graphics card is only adequate for gaming, nothing special.

It doesn't detail the solid-state drive's specifications either. I'd go for a midrange 256 GB SSD at the very least.

The others are right about it probably being cheaper if you build it yourself, or have it custom-built.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually I currently work at Best Buy and see this demo in our store. I ogle it all the time. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The others are correct that better graphics cards are out there which makes getting this deal less than stellar, but it's a solid computer for the money.

8. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
  9. Lazuri

10. Night Rain

If you don't want to build it yourself, go directly to IBuyPower to buy. You can customize their prebuilds (that means you can change the graphics card to a better one), like this one.
    Choose:
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 8GB - MSI GAMING X
    PSU: Power Supply850 Watt - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 - 80 PLUS Bronze (this is the SuperNOVA B2)
    Primary "Hard" Drive: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    Data Hard Drive: 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Drive

This PC will set you back about $1642 but you will have one beast of a PC.

11. CoderK

Please do this. You get a rush of pride and joy when your rig powers up for the first time, plus, building a computer allows you to give it more customization, saves you money, and if you want to upgrade down the road, you will know how. Trust me, if you build one, you will be so glad you did.

12. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    that might be true, but i can honestly say as "easy" as people say it is, i dont have any clue how to do it-- I can barely even install microsoft word, not to mention huge hand eye cordination problems, to the extent that i cant even use a screw driver-- sorry if that was harsh, i just get sick of this being the only thing suggested when i need advice, and i have no idea how to do that.

13. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, it's perfectly fine if you aren't comfortable building it yourself or would feel safer buying one pre-made, building a PC isn't for everyone even if it is a cheaper method. I would still say to take a serious look at the PC I posted above, it's pretty solid for the price.

14. Nikky DoUrden

As others said the GTX 960 is amusingly weak compared to the rest of the rig .. u dont really need i7 or 16gb RAM to run games, i5 and 8gb works.
    Would really suggest to build your own PC (u dont have to physically do it, but rather tell the store u buy it from to build it for u, but u chose the parts) ^^

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For now. The better hardware and more RAM you can pack in will play a role in how long you'll be able to get games and not worry at all about being able to run them nicely. My current computer is about 6-7 years old and is starting to show its age with those exact stats. Of course my graphics card is a little on the weak side, but to upgrade that means a new power supply, so I think I'll hold off until I can improve everything at once. Especially with the new Nvidia card, ooh gurl (!)

16. Nikky DoUrden

Thing is games dont use multicores that efficiently anyway, and about RAM no game ever use full 8GB too (i've seen 3GB tops), as u said I think if u have those "basic" specs then only the GPU/PSU can dramatically improve gameplay (and ive seen it changing my GPU from gtx 560 to radeon 380, i can play games on high settings with no problems now)

17. Night Rain

RAM is dirt cheap and with a generous budget of $2000 I don't understand why everyone in this thread tries so hard to save a few bucks. OP, go with my suggestion and get the GTX 1080.

18. Nikky DoUrden

RAM is the easiest part to add later on if needed, and if u r short on $$$ there is basically no reason to spend unnecesarily ^_^

19. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Best buy is a huge scam in terms of building a gaming rig >.< Also I recommend waiting for the gtx 1070 or 1080, like many others. kinda overpriced at the moment though.

20. Night Rain

Nowhere did the OP say they were short on money? There is even a $2000 maximum budget... The OP have made it clear that they don't want to go through the trouble, especially when they "can't even use a screw driver" due to hand eye coordination. As easy as adding more RAM is, I can think of many ways that this could go wrong.

Just save the trouble and order a pre-built rig with the specs of your choice (just like a custom build, only a bit higher in cost) from iBUYPOWER (since the OP originally wanted to buy from this company but through a reseller). Best way is to go directly to iBUYPOWER's website and pick the parts yourself. $1600 for these (i5 6th gen) aren't that overpriced, considering you don't have to go through all the trouble:
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 8GB - MSI GAMING X
    PSU: Power Supply850 Watt - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 - 80 PLUS Bronze (this is the SuperNOVA B2)
    Primary "Hard" Drive: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    Data Hard Drive: 1 TB Western Digital Caviar Blue Hard Drive